www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Another Club Folded

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another Club Folded

Post by Statman on Thu Nov 19 2009, 22:56

Hi Guys and Girls

Tonight Andrew (Hope and Crank) and myself went to the South West Stationary Engine Club(S.W.S.E.C) A.G.M

The A.g.m started of with figures,attendancees etc then it was the chairmans speech and he was saying his usual speech thanking people and then he said that the last rally at Perrenwell only had few Members attended including myself, Andrew, John, Ryan and Ian and few other members out of 75 members THIS IS BAD

Then he told us no one wanted be on the commitee and as from tonight the club is NO MORE!!!

Reason is most of the commitee are pensioners also H+S Regulations were a pain too

This is a great shame!!

Not one member out of 75 offered to be on the commitee

Let us hear your thoughts

Myself and Andrew are gutted

Adam

Lister D
Petter AA1
Plus Many more Aircooled Engines

Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Another Club Folded

Post by Foden on Thu Nov 19 2009, 23:36

Sorry to hear that Adam but i'm afraid that this is a common problem with club's of any description, be they engine club, village fete, caravan club's, you name it and they will ALL have a similar problem. They obviously rely on volunteers and it is a fact that fewer folk are coming forward nowadays to take these jobs on. This year is the first since I have been married (34 years) that I haven't been on at least one committee, either as a general member or Vice Chairman and Chairman, and in ALL CASES the problem has been "apathy" ie as long as someone else does the job then that is fine! There comes a time when committee members have had enough, our vintage club's secretary will have done 25 years in the job come next AGM, he has been intending to give the job up for a while now but nobody will take it on. When he retires then someone will HAVE to do it or the club will finish, as yours has done. The answer is in our hands, we either do our bit or face the inevitable. Perhaps Andrew and yourself could have offered your services, though it was probably too late by then, the damage was done.
Regarding the poor turnout at the rally, that happens up here as well. We had a light up last weekend, the members had requested it and what happens, 4 turnup! Embarassed What seemed a good idea in summer when it was planned suddenly loses it's appeal when the cold and damp weather arrives, only ourselves to blame of course but that's the problem with Humans, you can't rely on 'em!! Wink

Pete

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Statman on Thu Nov 19 2009, 23:40

Yeh i would love too but its the time and work commitments too!

I forgot to say there was 20 or more engines

Its a great shame clubs are closing!!

Adam

Lister D
Petter AA1

Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Another Club Folded

Post by steve66 on Fri Nov 20 2009, 01:02

Hi Adam,
Thanks to you and Andrew for coming tonight.
A sad night as it has been a big part of my life for the last 9 years.
with only 9 out of 75 members and no nominations for the committee,as the present committee
wished to stand down.
The SWSEC managed to put on 1 crank up in january and a rally in september for 10 years+, but in the last 3 years there
has only been 5 of us on the committee to do it all. i have been on the committee for 6 years and enjoyed it very much.
cheers
steve
Sad Sad

steve66
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

sorry we could not come

Post by pink lady on Fri Nov 20 2009, 08:32

would have loved to be there its a great shame , is there anything we can do if not wait till we get home , ryan said he will try and sort somethind he doesnt know what but will think, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

pink lady
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

why does the club need to many commitee members

Post by RAB on Sun Nov 29 2009, 17:42

can anyone bring this to light, id be up for helping out surely we can do summit to save it Sad

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Statman on Sun Nov 29 2009, 17:46

Apparently you need this

President
Chairman
Vice Chairman
Treasurer
Vice treasurer
Members Secertary
Vice Secertary
Organiser
H+S Person
Medics person

Adam

Lister D
Petter AA1

Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

but its only a small club

Post by RAB on Sun Nov 29 2009, 17:56

75 members, surly they dont need all those titles, surely a couple of commited people will do, its like whats the differance between a president and a chairman anyway , im so up for helping out, surely out of 75 members, there must be a couple of people free, it just makes no sense at all

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Statman on Sun Nov 29 2009, 18:08

Niether can i but its all down to time and the law!

Maybe Steve66 can tell us more about it as he or was a committee member!

Im itching for a rally in January

I think out of 75 members its pethectic no one can help i would help but have no clue what to do

Also there was no feedback from most members

I was also speaking to Kerwin he wasnt really suprised there is not enough pushing to these events anymore aparently when Kerwin was incharge with KOVC stationary engine commity he got 210 enginens in the 80s but the last rally only had 75 or so he sent letters off all around the country apperently

Adam

Lister D
Petter AA1

Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

i have pmd steve offering to help in some way but no reply

Post by RAB on Sun Nov 29 2009, 18:12

hope he got the messege, as sometimes this site can be a pain for messeging, maybe it needs some newbies to push it, i really want to contribute alot and promote the rallys

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Sun Nov 29 2009, 18:57

Well our club has probably around the same amount of members and has survived for 30 years with
A Chairman
Secretary
Treasurer
Events organiser
Road run steward.

And that's it! The Secretary and anyone handy does the fencing at events, the secretary also covers safety issues. Simples!!
What I will add though is that our rallies are free to the public, that way you don't have to bother with medical facilities or even loos (though they are on site permanantly).

Pete.

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

thats more realistic

Post by RAB on Sun Nov 29 2009, 19:37

if you ask me cheers

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 29 2009, 20:44

Its the old chestnut of people want everyting for nothing.

Dam shame hope you can get it sorted out.

Paul santa rendeer rendeer rendeer

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Sun Nov 29 2009, 22:14

Sorry to say but this is going to be the norm on clubs shuting down, you will get everybody saying yes we can do that.
Until you go to organise the rally and you end up with the sane members helping. Been the got the T shirt.
You will need a bit of cash in the bank to start with you have to pay for insurances toilets fencing I can carry on but thats the picture.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
There are more private rallys about now than there ever was
Chris

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

from what ive heard

Post by RAB on Sun Nov 29 2009, 22:20

the club have alot of money. cheers it just would have been nice to no why, they shut considering a number of us have supported the club by showing at rallys, adam mentioned to me the club said this year was the best for turn outs, it just makes no sense, ah well will have to sort are selfs out cheers

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Nov 29 2009, 22:30

I've been involved with running clubs also running a rally. You don't need all them people you've listed Adam, the club I've just joined hold 3 rallies a year and have a reasonable amount in the bank, but monies raised at the monthly meeting (raffle, bingo etc) goes to club/rally funds. There is 8 senior posts and the same guy does 3 of them and his wife covers another, same as the committee which has 4 members and some being husband and wife teams. Thing is the members are told they are involved even if it's just an hour at a rally on the gate to allow others to look around, if members are bothered even if they work or not they can always help out by giving out posters or running around even if they can't do the event, so there's no excuse in saying I don't have the time, if you want a club to servive you can always find some time to help out

Stu

If you want to check out the club I'm a member of check the link then committee. Check Alan Harley's name.
http://www.dcvcs.org.uk/index.html

Last edited by stationary stu on Sun Nov 29 2009, 22:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding)

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 01:08

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top