www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

When 5hp isn't enough

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When 5hp isn't enough

Post by iansw on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:08

I have been playing today, i bought a recon alternator on Thursday and today i fitted it to my Bradford 5hp, found an old battery that has been in the back of my work bench for at least two years, checked it with a meter 13.87volts scratch bit high i thought, stuck a headlight bulb across worked fine.

Next i started the old girl up ran for about 30 sec and died, no fuel topped up with some two stroke fuel i have, cranked it up again, great, connected the wires and it virtuly stalled the engine, so noww i need

More power

iansw
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

were will it end

Post by RAB on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:12

when youve lit up Blackpool lol! lol! afro

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: When 5hp isn't enough

Post by iansw on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:15

Admin wrote:when youve lit up Blackpool lol! lol! afro

I could only get a 70 amp alternater i wanted a 100 amp+, good job i didn't, may have to rethink the inverter setup affraid

iansw
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:22

Now thats got me thinking as I was going to get one of my engines to drive an alternator (have 2x120amp from the buses I used to have) and last week I got 5 (well 4 and 1 free) 6v 100amp hour batteries. I'll have to run the engine at full revs Laughing

Stu

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by iansw on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:28

Stu
I heard somewhere i think (don't quote me) that an alternater kicking out 100 amps uses 5bhp to turn it,

iansw
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by iansw on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:31

I will take a pic tomorrow and possibly a video, i think i have a flat battery somewhere just to see how much it barks Mad

iansw
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:38

Just a thought what if the batteries are fully charged and I just have a few bulbs running would that work?

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by iansw on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:48

Stu, it would be fine, if you were running say two 55w 12 volt halogens that equals 110watts divided by 12 volts is just under 10amps, not a problem, but i wanted to run a 2000w inverter and at full load would take about 300 amp from the batteries Laughing Laughing Laughing so i think i am going to have to re think my electric grill and go down the bbq route. Crying or Very sad

iansw
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Aug 16 2009, 22:53

I can get you some 6v 100amp batteries @ £5 each but no guarantees with them Neutral

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by iansw on Sun Aug 16 2009, 23:02

stationary stu wrote:I can get you some 6v 100amp batteries @ £5 each but no guarantees with them Neutral

Thanks Stu, thanks, but i have some batteries already, i was called out on a breakdown early this year on a big charter yacht, they had starting problems, told to pick up two new batteries and fit them, so i did, still wouln't start, checked the systems, found a fuse blown, i have still got the batteries 2 x 170 amp still not two years old, yacht was less than a year old Laughing Laughing Laughing

iansw
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 03:00

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum