www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Cooling tank?

3 posters

Go down

Cooling tank? Empty Cooling tank?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18 2010, 19:03

Woundering what to use as a cooling tank if i get this Stuart R3 bit stuck on what to use, as its got a pump i could just use a bucket, but i want something a bit better looking.

Been toying with the idea of old fire extinguishers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350305892990&Category=9903&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

think it should work but how effective at cooling they are is another thing.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Cooling tank? Empty extinguisher cooling tank

Post by Sir Clip Mon Jan 18 2010, 20:49

Hi steve,
I have a similar cooling question I am asking myself. That is for a water cooled compressor. For the Stuart your fire extinguisher cylinder would I guess work as long as it was of sufficient volume to suit the engine.I would just use my own judgement here.The guess for my compressor would be for an 11kg gas bottle with the top cut of and a loosely fitting lid. Chris.
Sir Clip
Sir Clip
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Cooling tank? Empty Re: Cooling tank?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18 2010, 21:43

Sir Clip wrote:Hi steve,
I have a similar cooling question I am asking myself. That is for a water cooled compressor. For the Stuart your fire extinguisher cylinder would I guess work as long as it was of sufficient volume to suit the engine.I would just use my own judgement here.The guess for my compressor would be for an 11kg gas bottle with the top cut of and a loosely fitting lid. Chris.

Yea should think it would be alright will hold 2 gallon, i wouldnt know about the compressor.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19 2010, 06:09

general rule is, you want your cooling system to be small enough so that under whatever load you intend to put on it, you can get the water to boiling point, if you have too much cooling area, the engine will stay cold, hence why off load lister CS's can use small propane cylinders as cooling rather than 45 gallon drums, it gets them hot and prevents bore glazing.

a small exinguisher should be spot on for the stuart, if it boils, just top it up, will be nice and steamy lol. Smile

P. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope and Crank Tue Jan 19 2010, 19:25

I'll empty one for you...

Cooling tank? IMG_8854

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20 2010, 09:41

that is cool bit big for Stuart though Cool

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Cooling tank? Empty Fittlings?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20 2010, 12:49

Bit stuck on how the pipes would connect to the tank? not sure sure if i can get my hand into the tank.

Any ideas?

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20 2010, 14:04

Skankin_giant wrote:Bit stuck on how the pipes would connect to the tank? not sure sure if i can get my hand into the tank.

Any ideas?

Cheers Steve

you may have to silver solder the fittings on? or rivet (old style Cool ) a plate on

Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20 2010, 14:11

Yea that's what I was thinking. think I could solder it used to doing components so plumbing should be a new venture.

if worst comes to worst theres always JB weld!

Cheers steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20 2010, 14:15

Skankin_giant wrote:Yea that's what I was thinking. think I could solder it used to doing components so plumbing should be a new venture.

if worst comes to worst theres always JB weld!

Cheers steve

prepare it right and you'll have no problems with silver solder, much stronger than ordinary solder

Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20 2010, 14:57

I might end up sacking this cooling tank idea off lol, getting to much time i add the soldering stuff up, will have to see if i can get a rectangle trough type thing me thinks!

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Cooling tank? Empty cooling tank.

Post by earlsinclare Sat Jan 23 2010, 18:40

i made a box section cooling tank from plate steel, welded steel tube top and bottom about 2" in length and used car cooling pipe to connect the tank to the engine. this was cheap and i will never need to make another.
earl.
earlsinclare
earlsinclare
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down