www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

LATEST LISTER D ENGINE RENOVATION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LATEST LISTER D ENGINE RENOVATION

Post by BRASSO on Tue Aug 18 2009, 16:05

https://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/24/06/49/holida24.jpg
https://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/24/06/49/holida25.jpg
https://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/24/06/49/engine11.jpg

I AM REALLY HOPING THIS WORKS!!

After a few attempts I am now hoping that I have managed to attach some pictures of my latest engine renovation.

This Lister D type was one of five reverse rotation engines sold by R.A. Lister & Co. Ltd. to Messers Stothert & Pitt (Bath, England) on 21st February 1944.

Stothert & Pitt started business in the late 1780’s and where predominantly crane makers and supplied dockside cranes all around the world, but later Stothert & Pitt also diversified there business into making vibrating road rollers and cement mixers, which this engine was destined to become.

Being made in 1944, it is without doubt that this engine / cement mixer was to become part of the war effort. During these years Stothert and Pitt made a great contribution supplying cranes, cement mixers, bearings, rotary valves and piston rings for the ministry of defence.

Stothert & Pitts factory was a major target for the German bombing raids, and parts of the engineering works were hit heavily during these years, destroying vital equipment, buildings and company documents.

An interesting factor about this engine is that it works on a reverse rotation (anti clockwise). This direction of rotation was essential to drive a cement mixer.

This engine was one of two engines purchased from a garage in Camborne, Cornwall in July 2006. Unfortunately only the engine from the cement mixer could be saved, the rest I am informed was scrapped many years earlier due to extensive corrosion.

As you can see from the photographs taken at the start of renovation, the engine was in a poor state of repair, many of the steel studs were broken off, it had been stripped into many pieces and was totally seized.

After many hours of hard work and after a complete strip, overhaul and re-paint, this engine has been restored back to the condition you see it in today. Many parts had to be sourced and replaced to make this renovation possible.

I have just had some Ash timers cut at work, so I present it on a nicely varnished base with another lister d domestic pump.

I have alsorecently purchased a Lister H2 pump with I am hoping to mount on an Ash base as well, and maybe have to pumps running off this.

And yes, to most peoples disgust it will probably have lots of brass and copper on it!

Last edited by BRASSO on Fri Apr 20 2012, 15:02; edited 1 time in total

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

you know my feelings on it

Post by RAB on Tue Aug 18 2009, 16:49

your engines have caused many debates, involving me mostly, but im behind your ideas all the way, ive seen your engines and i got to say yeah are some of the finest lister Ds ive seen, i know most people believe they should not look like that BUT they did not come out the factory on homemade trolleys or they did not come out expecting to be rallyed. Its your engine, your bound to get the odd one who does not appricate great craftmanship, but your engines are welcome on this forum, you should be proud of them, i would, i cant wait for some people to see my missis petter A1 in pink once its done lol!
PS great history within the thread, keep up the good work

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: LATEST LISTER D ENGINE RENOVATION

Post by BRASSO on Wed Aug 19 2009, 08:05

Thanks for the positive feedback Ryan.

I tend to think that most people go to rallys to enjoy what they are seeing. Most rally enthuiasts think a Lister D is common due to 250,000 being made, so I think that if you can just make the exhibit look that little more interesting and catch peoples eye, that's what being an exhibitor on a rally field is all about.

I know my engines are not as they came out of the factory, and you tend to here comments like "Tis over done" & "Twas never ment to look like that", but I think the engines do look pleasing to the eye, and I would much rather see and engine that is looked after and presented well than just turn up with an engine that looks like it is at the start of renovations.

Just a fresh coat of paint, can make all the difference to an exhibit on a rally field.

I have to admit the polishing can get a bit much at times, it's worth it when you get good feed back from visitors.

This years project will be my 1936 Petter A. It's not in bad conditon & not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

I have picked up a nice Union bench grinder / polisher which I am thinking that I will probably run of this engine. I will post some pictures when I get some time, before I start the renovation.

Watch this space?

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Wed Aug 19 2009, 11:14

Can I just say that I find the public enjoy looking at a clean engine with all the brass work shining in the sun. They will walk past the rare engines thats not painted and are straight from the barn. Yes engine enthusiasts like the rare unpainted engines but its not them that pays at the gate to help the rally run next year. I have a Petter A and I polish it up and why not it's my engine I'll do what the hell I want with it.
It's the same as the plastic ducks in the water tank, kids love it and it gives them some interest, to us it just a few ducks but to kids it something to talk about and they could be the engine enthusiast in years to come just by something as simple as that, but you see them talking to there parents about them and it's how they remember what was enjoyable to them on the day. (I took a 3 year old to a rally and dragged him around the engines and the ducks were what he enjoyed about the engines and talked about on the journey home).
These are my opinions and I know not everyone agrees, so to them, do what you want to your engine that gives you the most pleasure and I'll do what I want to my engines and which I think the paying public will enjoy looking at.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Wed Aug 19 2009, 20:59

Looking good ,nice photos.
I agre with stu the punters dont look at rusty engines, I have a couple of rear engines waiting to be restored they all run and yes they are al in there working gear and oridgenal trucks. My choise they will all be painted and restored to how I like them.
Chris

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Thu Feb 09 2012, 13:06

Well, thgi ones been sat in the garage for about 2 1/2 ytears now. so I am motivating myself to get it dinished on a nice base something like my other other Lister D.

Got all the timber and bulk of base made.

Will keep you all posted on progress.

regards

Mart.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Thu Feb 09 2012, 14:09

I think the more brass and copper the better. It gives me something to clean at rallies Very Happy Just in case, I usually take along my collection of brass oil cans and paraffin burners as well, not to mention my display board of rally plaques. I think you are so right Stu about getting attention. My aim is to make people stop and look and anything that helps is considered fair game. That's why I am now looking at a lighting display as well. If I don't take my generator unit I will just run it off a 12v battery. I am looking for some age related bits like petrol globes (very expensive at the moment) or dealer signs. Anything I can light up really so if you have got anything lying around let me know if they are for sale.
Brasso, I think your engine looks superb and on a varnished trolley will be even better.
DanBoy

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:37

[quote="BRASSO"]Well, thgi ones been sat in the garage for about 2 1/2 ytears now. so I am motivating myself to get it dinished on a nice base something like my other other Lister D.

regards

Mart.

[/quote

Dear me!! I think I had mis-spelling fingers yesterday!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I want to get this one finished now before I move house. Will make it much easier to move around. I love seeing brass and copper on engines. looks brilliant in the summer sun.

Will keep you all posted on progression.

Cheers

Mart.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Fri Feb 10 2012, 12:33

[quote="BRASSO"]
BRASSO wrote:Well, this ones been sat in the garage for about 2 1/2 years now. so I am motivating myself to get it finished on a nice base something like my other other Lister D.

regards

Mart.

[/quote
hi martin..
glad you've found time to start on the engine,what with all the aggro you've been getting its a wounder you find the time to do it.but i guess it a bit of a break from all the aggro,gives you time to chill out...
keep us posted on the progress mate...regards,mike...

Dear me!! I think I had mis-spelling fingers yesterday!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I want to get this one finished now before I move house. Will make it much easier to move around. I love seeing brass and copper on engines. looks brilliant in the summer sun.

Will keep you all posted on progression.

Cheers

Mart.

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Sat Apr 14 2012, 16:25

Well this is far I am up to on this one so far.

Base /trolley is all made, wheels all sprayed up and axles cut for length.

Back plates need welding on now, and I need to make up some brackets to attach them to the trolley.

Then its 4/5 coats of varnish on the wood.

Will keep you all posted on further progress.

Regards

Martin

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sat Apr 14 2012, 16:53

Looking good Martin, I thought I was slow at doing my Wolseley but I beat you, It only took me 2 years lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Sat Apr 14 2012, 20:04

Looking good keep sending them photos Smile
Jonesey

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Sun Apr 15 2012, 17:45

stationary stu wrote:Looking good Martin, I thought I was slow at doing my Wolseley but I beat you, It only took me 2 years lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Been struggling to motivate myself to do anything of late. But as always have rallied around and made a good start now. I normally get on with things when I have some motivation. I did the engine and pump renovation in 2009, but then got side tracked last year with the lister A and H2 pump. I have had the timber stored at my dads for about 2 years, so it was about time I got on with it. Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol! lol!

regards

Martin

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Sun Apr 15 2012, 19:59

You are a little like me Martin, I have had all winter to get work done on my engines etc for this years event's and done virtually nothing. Now, with rallies a few week's away, I am working flat out to try and get them all done, luckily the ones still spread across the garage floor are not booked anywhere until mid to late summer! I must work better under pressure. Embarassed

Pete.

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Sun Apr 15 2012, 20:05

Foden wrote:You are a little like me Martin, I have had all winter to get work done on my engines etc for this years event's and done virtually nothing. Now, with rallies a few week's away, I am working flat out to try and get them all done, luckily the ones still spread across the garage floor are not booked anywhere until mid to late summer! I must work better under pressure. Embarassed

Pete.

Still not made a start on that pete .... You need to start by pulling your finger out ... lol! lol!

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sun Apr 15 2012, 20:08

BRASSO wrote:https://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/24/06/49/holida24.jpg
https://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/14/24/06/49/holida25.jpg

I AM REALLY HOPING THIS WORKS!!

After a few attempts I am now hoping that I have managed to attach some pictures of my latest engine renovation.

This Lister D type was one of five reverse rotation engines sold by R.A. Lister & Co. Ltd. to Messers Stothert & Pitt (Bath, England) on 21st February 1944.

Stothert & Pitt started business in the late 1780’s and where predominantly crane makers and supplied dockside cranes all around the world, but later Stothert & Pitt also diversified there business into making vibrating road rollers and cement mixers, which this engine was destined to become.

Being made in 1944, it is without doubt that this engine / cement mixer was to become part of the war effort. During these years Stothert and Pitt made a great contribution supplying cranes, cement mixers, bearings, rotary valves and piston rings for the ministry of defence.

Stothert & Pitts factory was a major target for the German bombing raids, and parts of the engineering works were hit heavily during these years, destroying vital equipment, buildings and company documents.

An interesting factor about this engine is that it works on a reverse rotation (anti clockwise). This direction of rotation was essential to drive a cement mixer.

This engine was one of two engines purchased from a garage in Camborne, Cornwall in July 2006. Unfortunately only the engine from the cement mixer could be saved, the rest I am informed was scrapped many years earlier due to extensive corrosion.

As you can see from the photographs taken at the start of renovation, the engine was in a poor state of repair, many of the steel studs were broken off, it had been stripped into many pieces and was totally seized.

After many hours of hard work and after a complete strip, overhaul and re-paint, this engine has been restored back to the condition you see it in today. Many parts had to be sourced and replaced to make this renovation possible.

I have just had some Ash timers cut at work, so I present it on a nicely varnished base with another lister d domestic pump.

I have alsorecently purchased a Lister H2 pump with I am hoping to mount on an Ash base as well, and maybe have to pumps running off this.

And yes, to most peoples disgust it will probably have lots of brass and copper on it!

ive tryed to do it for you as link incomplete

kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sun Apr 15 2012, 20:14

now we can see before and after at the same time
lovly job youve done there
better trolley than the old lady shopper wheels lol
nice one i like it
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:24

Foden wrote:You are a little like me Martin, I have had all winter to get work done on my engines etc for this years event's and done virtually nothing. Now, with rallies a few week's away, I am working flat out to try and get them all done, luckily the ones still spread across the garage floor are not booked anywhere until mid to late summer! I must work better under pressure. Embarassed

Pete.

Hi pete, yea lifes a little bit like being in Limbo for me at the moment, didnt really start anything this year as I thought the house would be on the market by now. Still got issues with neighbours and not able to get the house on the market because of this boundry dispute. So, now I have had enough and took all the tools out again, as I think this is gonna be a drawn out job.

To be honest it was nice spending the weekend in the garage doing some work on my favourite hobby.

I am not in any rush to complete this one, as I still have my other Lister D and My Lister A to show.

When this D is finished I have a 1936 Petter A to start looking at.

regards

Mart.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:48

kevjhnsn wrote:now we can see before and after at the same time
lovly job youve done there
better trolley than the old lady shopper wheels lol
nice one i like it
kev

Your rite about those wheels Kev, thats only my trolley that I use to move stuff around the garage. lol! lol!

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Apr 16 2012, 10:52

Any wheels are better then carrying, dragging, kicking etc lol. Martin I'm the same once I get stressed I forget about the engines which is odd as they normally help me to relax (as long as there running lol) nothing better then spending time just messing about and getting your hands dirty.
Sorry to hear that your still having problems with the neighbours have you tried all the options like murder, arson etc Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Mon Apr 16 2012, 15:50

stationary stu wrote:Any wheels are better then carrying, dragging, kicking etc lol. Martin I'm the same once I get stressed I forget about the engines which is odd as they normally help me to relax (as long as there running lol) nothing better then spending time just messing about and getting your hands dirty.
Sorry to hear that your still having problems with the neighbours have you tried all the options like murder, arson etc Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Hi Stu,

Appologies to all if I am going off topic here.

Well I have just spent nearly three months trying to get the house on the market. Very cleverly the neighbours have lodged a boundry despute to us via their solicitors. I have checked the positioning of my garage and its bang on with the boundry plans. Now the downside is until they either get a surveyor out to check or the drop the despute the estate agents wont touch the house until they have it in wrighting from my solicitor saying there is no despute. I am now spending a fortune with my solicitors contacting theirs to try and get a written letter from them saying what they intend to do, but as you have guessed no letter is forthcoming.......... As you can imagine I just want to move, and to say I am a little P----d off is an understatement.
I have lost nearly 2 stone in weight since christmas (which I needed to do anyway), but instead of playing with the engines I had started to clean up the garage, repainted the house and prepared for a move. Mind you I have found going out for long walks very good for de-stressing!!

I am sure we will get it all sorted. Looking forward to some weekends away at rallies this season. cheers cheers cheers

Regards

Mart.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Tue Apr 17 2012, 10:06

Sorry to hear it's still dragging on and your making your solicitor even richer, fingers crossed you'll get it sorted soon and get your house sold.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Tue Apr 17 2012, 12:09

stationary stu wrote:Sorry to hear it's still dragging on and your making your solicitor even richer, fingers crossed you'll get it sorted soon and get your house sold.

Stu.

I am sure I will get there Stu!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Reards

Martin.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 03:00

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down