www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Your Engine Pics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Engine Pics

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 09 2010, 11:16

Gents,

Can people please submit a photo of a engine for the forum header.

The condition is that the user submitting the photo can tell the rest of the forum a little about the engine, eg working life, or how they come by it, anything as long as its relevant to that engine.

the entries will be put to a poll and we will go from there.

My Entry is, My Norman S/C

Here is my bit of History:

SC446 was built in November or December 1939. It was one of a batch of 385 similar engines made as complete Type SC generating sets supplied to Arthur Lyon & Co against MoD contract. The Type SC set was fitted with a 550 watt DC generator producing 35 amps at 15 volts (for charging 12 volt batteries). I have some further info as follows: fitted with new type starting handle, screened ignition with Lodge SR1 plug, special baseplate with rubber feet, 5 foot flexible exhaust pipe, petrol tap incorporating fuel filter (this is quite an unusual fitting), no silencer (special silencer to be supplied by Lyon), flexible petrol pipe, the whole set enamelled in Service Green. Plus spares - 30 big end rollers, 1 small end bush, 2 valves, 2 valve caps, 2 cotters, 2 compression rings, 2 scraper rings and 24 assorted nuts (this lot would have been supplied in a special box fitted to the set).

My Granddad bought the engine for me in 1994 at a show on Redruth Recreation ground (Rugby Pitch) may have been a KOVC show not sure, we showed it with a Lister domestic water pump, with this engine and pump set up I won best Junior stationary engine at the West of England show, as you can see it looking rather tired now and will be going in for a restoration once the Stuart is running, I and not sure if im going to take it back to the original colour (Service Green) or RAF Blue Grey.

so that my bit, can other users please post there pics etc.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Engine Pics

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 25 2010, 14:42

Do we have any more? or is 2 it!

Please post your pics gents!

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Thu Mar 25 2010, 18:37

Ok Steve, I will put one up! My first engine, Lister DH built September 1945 and delivered to Liner Concrete, Gateshead, for mixer duties. It was then sold new to Ballidon Quarries near Ashbourne, Derbyshire (where I worked for 27 years) when the quarry first started in 1946/46. After a lot of hard work it was then sold to the Late John Wheildon of Kniveton, Derbys, who took the mixer barrel off to fit on a tractor PTO and used the engine on a milking plant (not the one in the pic) where it ran for several years. Eventually it developed a "knock" so the engine was put out for scrap and replaced with a Lister LD1 (which I also purchased). I was talking to John on a job at Alton Towers one day in 1993 and he mentioned the LD1 was for sale, so I bought it! The D was sat under a hedge, completely full of water and rusted solid, so I took that as well. When I stripped it I found that the "knock" which John had assumed was a big end was caused by 2 teeth missing from the camshaft gear!
I completely rebuilt the engine using new parts supplied by Lister Helpline guru David Harris, a new piston, valves, springs and guides and a second hand camshaft were fitted, the mag was also rebuilt by Helpline mag man Martin Percy and the engine was booked into Lincoln Steam Rally in August 1995 where it ran well. I managed to aquire various dairy artefacts over the years and that is how it is shown at present.

Hope that I haven't bored you rigid yet!

Pete

[img][/img]

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 25 2010, 18:40

Thanks for that! its nice to hear people stories!

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Thu Mar 25 2010, 22:19

I have put one of mine on, but unfortunately posted it in the wrong place.

Feel free to move it.

Cheers

Martin.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Lister D and Domestic water pump

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 26 2010, 08:10

Moved here for Brasso

ENGINE DETAILS

This Lister D type stationary engine was manufactured in April/May 1951 and was produced at the Swindon factory of R.A. Lister & Co. Ltd.

It was sold by R.A. Lister & Co. Ltd. on 27/9/1951 to Pond & Son (Ironmongers & Agricultural Engineers), Blandford, Dorset.

The Company Pond & Son set up business in Blandford, Dorset in 1837 and described themselves over the next century as Ironmongers, Coppersmiths, Plumbers, Hot Water Engineers, Bell Hangers, Locksmiths, Metalworkers & Agricultural / Dairy Engineers.

It is not known exactly what this particular engine would have been used for, but was most probably used to drive metalworking or dairy equipment.

No other history is known about this engine or pump until July 2006 when it was purchased by me.

Both items had spent in excess of 10 years stored in the back of a garage workshop in Camborne, Cornwall, and had not been started or looked after in any that time.

At the time of purchase the engine was in a poor state of repair and the water pump was totally seized.

After many hours of hard work throughout the winter of 2006, this engine and domestic water pump was restored by myself into the condition you see it in today, with many parts having to be sourced and replaced, especially in the water pump.

The engine and pump are being displayed in a show condition, so some minor cosmetic changes have been made to improve their appearance.

I undertook all of the carpentry work and varnishing for the mounting of this engine with some assistance of my father who is a carpenter by trade.[img][/img]

Back to top Go down

great set ups guys

Post by RAB on Fri Mar 26 2010, 12:28

will put pictures up over time Very Happy

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Statman on Fri Mar 26 2010, 21:56

Hi Chaps!

Here is mine

A Petter M Universal 3HP Appletop

Sold first in Boston Lincolnshire 1931

Adam

Lister D
Petter AA1
Plus Many more Aircooled Engines

Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Watermota K2

Post by siatontola on Sat Jun 12 2010, 05:48

Hi everyone, This is my Watermota K2 which I bought over fifteen years ago at a car boot sale (no, honestly!). It was made in 1925 as witness the serial number on the brass plate on the cylinder water jacket. It is rated as 6hp, and as close as I can calculate, using stroke and bore, displaces about 580cc... As you can see it is in 'as found' condition, but has great compression, which could save a great deal of work.

Watermota made also a K1 and a K4, the number indicating, unsurprisingly, the number of cylinders. Watermota started life at Hampton Wick. Middlesex, I think just after WW1, trading as Walter D Fair Limited. They are still in business in the West Country where they marinise car engines for leisure boat use.

The K2 was very successful in hydroplane racing, as can be seen in a video in the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth. Their main role however was as a power source for pleasure boats being mounted inboard, I have all the propshaft, feathering prop, and reversing gear, all in heavy bronze/brass etc to go with this. I am short of a magneto and an exhaust manifold, but otherwise I am about ready to fire it up. My intention is to find a decent wooden clinker hull into which it can be fitted, and then use it on the Thames as it was intended. In the meantime, it will have to be on a frame in the garage with a barrel of water beside it!

I'd be pleased to hear from other owners.

siatontola
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by RAB on Sat Jun 12 2010, 20:36

siatontola wrote:Hi everyone, This is my Watermota K2 which I bought over fifteen years ago at a car boot sale (no, honestly!). It was made in 1925 as witness the serial number on the brass plate on the cylinder water jacket. It is rated as 6hp, and as close as I can calculate, using stroke and bore, displaces about 580cc... As you can see it is in 'as found' condition, but has great compression, which could save a great deal of work.

Watermota made also a K1 and a K4, the number indicating, unsurprisingly, the number of cylinders. Watermota started life at Hampton Wick. Middlesex, I think just after WW1, trading as Walter D Fair Limited. They are still in business in the West Country where they marinise car engines for leisure boat use.

The K2 was very successful in hydroplane racing, as can be seen in a video in the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth. Their main role however was as a power source for pleasure boats being mounted inboard, I have all the propshaft, feathering prop, and reversing gear, all in heavy bronze/brass etc to go with this. I am short of a magneto and an exhaust manifold, but otherwise I am about ready to fire it up. My intention is to find a decent wooden clinker hull into which it can be fitted, and then use it on the Thames as it was intended. In the meantime, it will have to be on a frame in the garage with a barrel of water beside it!

I'd be pleased to hear from other owners.

Nice bit of reading there thankyou for posting that, the only prob was the picture did not show.
If you manage to get a pic posted here i will put it into next months Forum header poll.

Thanks again,
Paul cheers cheers

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Watermota K2 Missed photo...

Post by siatontola on Fri Jul 09 2010, 20:18

Hi
I hope this will bring the pic up...

siatontola
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Pond and sons

Post by trude on Wed Aug 24 2011, 15:25

Was really interested in the Lister engine. William Percival Pond was my grandfather ( died before I was born).
They also had a business in Wimborne Dorset, Ponds tractors which I haven't been able to find anything about. It was based in Station Terrace Wimborne.

trude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 19:17

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top