www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Well will I still enjoy it?!!!??? It's a story lol.

3 posters

Go down

Well will I still enjoy it?!!!???  It's a story lol. Empty Well will I still enjoy it?!!!??? It's a story lol.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 17:12

Last year I had a few personal problems and I had to have another operation on my back, so I lost all interest in engines. I did one rally at the start of the season with a Petter A, all I had running at the time and that was easy enough for me to move, then nothing more.
So as 2011 flys by my interest has started to come back to life with me returning to my engine club and back on to the forum. Last year I picked up a little Jap 2A for £15 it had a good spark but poor compression. A few days ago I saw a new set of rings for a 2A for £12 on fleabay so I thought to myself that's just what I need to get me back into the hobby I enjoy. So today the rings arrived so with nothing else to do I started to strip down the Jap. I took the oil drain plug out and it was like tar, real think! Once the head was removed I tryed one of the rings into the bore to check the fit as I guessed they would be standard.
Well heres my question does anyone know if these rings have to be gapped? The ring fits the bore but there's no or very little clearance on the ring gap.

Second is it just a pin that holds the valves in place?

Thanks in adavance for your replies Stu.

Back to top Go down

Well will I still enjoy it?!!!???  It's a story lol. Empty Re: Well will I still enjoy it?!!!??? It's a story lol.

Post by Foden Wed Apr 06 2011, 17:58

Ring gaps for Air Cooled engines are usually set for about 6 thou per inch of bore Stu, the Water Cooled engines use around 4 thou per inch (as they run cooler). Set the gaps about 1/2 inch down the bore, using the piston to square the ring, and check again nearer the bottom in case the cylinder is worn. Hope this helps.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Well will I still enjoy it?!!!???  It's a story lol. Empty Re: Well will I still enjoy it?!!!??? It's a story lol.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 18:29

Thanks for that Pete. There is a ridge on the top of the bore so Ill check it again once the piston is ringed up and I've glaze busted the bore.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Apr 06 2011, 20:33

good luck with your rebuild STU...
glad every thing is now sorted and your back on the road to recovery...
enjoy it....
regards...mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Wed Apr 06 2011, 23:41

Stu ,as far as I can rember just pins that hold the valve springs in place dont loose them there a i shall not swear to fnd Smile Smile Smile
Jonesey Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Thu Apr 07 2011, 00:41

JONESEY wrote:Stu ,as far as I can remember just pins that hold the valve springs in place don't loose them there a i shall not swear to find Smile Smile Smile
Jonesey Smile

CHRIS....
is there a engine you don't have info on.....
you must have payed attention at school CHRIS... lol! lol! lol!
regards...mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Apr 07 2011, 11:22

If you need any JAP 2A bits Stu I have a 2S with reduction gear (same but larger sump) in bits in the garage. It is mostly all there so if you lose or break anything give us a shout.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Apr 07 2011, 19:13

Mike thats about the only thing I did learn at school was about engines ane sex education lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Jonesey Smile Smile Smile
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 19:25

Foden wrote:If you need any JAP 2A bits Stu I have a 2S with reduction gear (same but larger sump) in bits in the garage. It is mostly all there so if you lose or break anything give us a shout.

Pete.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I know one part I need and that's a sump as one of the lugs has been snapped of in the past. Thanks for the offer Pete I 'll keep you in minds if and when I loss something, old age I put things down and forget where I left them Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Apr 07 2011, 19:32

Sorry Stu, the 2S has a much larger sump so the plate is a lot bigger.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07 2011, 19:34

That's what I was laughing about Pete just my luck Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down