www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

cast iron and other wheels

2 posters

Go down

cast iron and other wheels Empty cast iron and other wheels

Post by hob Mon Jul 04 2011, 21:40

just ordered some trolley wheels (cast iron and others) looks like good prices to me Very Happy

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Cast_Iron_Wheels-1403-c

regards Neville
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

cast iron and other wheels Empty Re: cast iron and other wheels

Post by mike d Tue Jul 05 2011, 09:21

hi neville..
that's a good price for wheels,some second hand sets would cost you a lot more..
thanks for sharing it with us..
regards,mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Fri Jul 08 2011, 21:59

been looking for somewhere to buy bar for axles this site looks good to me

[url=http://www.ringwoodmetalfabrication.co.uk/ourshop/cat_215125-Bright-Mild-Steel-Round-Bar-EN1A.html]http://www.ringwoodmetalfabrication.co.uk/ourshop/cat_215125-Bright-Mild-Steel-Round-Bar-EN1A.html[/url

disclaimer
please note i have no financial connection with any site linked to in this topic............this disclaimer is posted to ensure that i am not benefiting from financial rewards for posting links to advertisers in this topic

regards neville
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Fri Jul 08 2011, 22:03

i am pleased with the wheels i recieved................... maybe i should have ordered bigger ones ..........Rolling Eyes

cast iron and other wheels P1250431
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 10:41

hob wrote:been looking for somewhere to buy bar for axles this site looks good to me

[url=http://www.ringwoodmetalfabrication.co.uk/ourshop/cat_215125-Bright-Mild-Steel-Round-Bar-EN1A.html]http://www.ringwoodmetalfabrication.co.uk/ourshop/cat_215125-Bright-Mild-Steel-Round-Bar-EN1A.html[/url

disclaimer
please note i have no financial connection with any site linked to in this topic............this disclaimer is posted to ensure that i am not benefiting from financial rewards for posting links to advertisers in this topic

regards neville

Neville I get all my steel from a small local engineering firm either from the skip or if it's a curtain size/length I need then it's into there stock room to see what he's got. He has even ordered steel in for me but that was a big job where I needed a 6 metre length of angle iron. Normally payment goes straight into the coffee/tea fund except the steel that was ordered in. I have also been to a scrap yard and had a search around in there (that's where I got the stainless steel I'm using on the latest trolley I'm building) There's a few places that do metal by mail order I'll see if I can find the site for you if I still have them.
If you check out the pic of my Lister G trolley that all came out of the skip apart from the wheels. You can see the old wood trolley on my profile pic.

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t3269-stanhope-2011

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 10:59

Neville don't get me wrong the wheels you have are fine and I'd be happy to use them, yet most when building a trolley go for the cast iron wheels from 8 to 12 inchs with spokes, reason being (I think) it is more in keeping with the age of the engine. The only advantage I can see with using larger wheels is that they are easier to move around the field. Another point is will you build your trolley with a steerable axle? myself I tend only to think this is necessary on the larger heavier engines but then again it's up to the builder and with a steerable axle I find the wheel base has to be longer to allow the axle room to turn, so you then have to consider moving the engine at home through gates etc.

Also forgot to mention the cost of cast iron wheels, these tend to cost more then the engine itself, myself if I can pick up a set of 4 for under £30 I'm happy but I wouldn't pay some of the prices that's recently been on ebay at £80-£100, Madness Laughing Laughing Laughing for that money you could buy an engine already on a trolley.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:18

I found this company that sell metal mail order and I've heard good reports about them. There's also a new company that's opening branches nationwide that sell small quanties, can't remember there name but I'll keep looking.

http://www.mallardmetals.co.uk/

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:22

thanks Stu looks similar to the one in my post above Smile
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:39

Yes the same, there is a few on ebay, the link I've put up I havn't used myself but have known others to use and have had a good service from them. At the end of the day it's your choice and until someone trys them we won't find out if there any good or not.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:48

im the same Stu,when i was transport manger on the gas firm,i used to get lot of off cuts or out of the skip..9 out of 10 times it was free.
i also use tube steel as well, as this keeps the weight down,my witte trolley Ive just finished has tubed axles..
getting old now ,so need to save my energy.... lol! lol! lol!
regards,mike.
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 11:53

My Lister G had tube and they snapped so I now go for solid bar much safer and not that much heavier, maybe ok on lighter engines, yet saying that my light engines don't have a trolley Laughing Laughing I just use a sack truck to move them.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 09 2011, 12:04

my 2 1/4hp AMANCO hired man trolley had tubed axles and that was an original trolley that was made in the states..
we Brits seem to over engineer things over here and make the to heavy...
regards,mike.
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 12:45

Very true Mike, I'm the same, always use heavier steel then I should. The ramps I made for to get engines in the van will take the weight of my scooter with me sat on it and they don't even bend more then half an inch and weigh a bit when I have to lift them. I've now bought some alloy ramps but havn't as yet tried the scooter on them, keep thinking will they take the weight Laughing Laughing Laughing sure they will just they are that light Rolling Eyes

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 09 2011, 13:16

mines the same,it takes my weight and the scooter,but Ive had them made out of Ali..lot tighter but well solid...
don't use them now as my ifor williams trailer has a drop down tailgate...much easier..
but if and when i sell the trailer i want to get a tow a van type,they have roller shutter doors at the rear,so ramps will be needed again..

mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 15:16

Mike you not thought about building your trailer into a box trailer, wouldn't take a lot of work and would save you alot of money and you could always put it back to a normal trailer if you no longer need it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 09 2011, 15:55

yes mate i had thought of that,as theres a feller near me that's done just that..
i keep meaning to go in and see him to see how hes done his..
like you said it would save me money....mind you according to you i have loads... lol! lol!
regards,mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 10:47

Yes you've loads but no good just throwing it away Twisted Evil Only problem I could see with converting your trailer would be if you wanted the rollor shutter door, but 2 barn doors could easily be fabricated or a drop down to use as a ramp.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down