www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

which oil ????

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: which oil ????

Post by SussexSteamFan on Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:38

So I guess something like this will be fine:

w w w . ebay.co.uk/itm/Comma-Classic-Motor-Oil-30-Sae-30-5-Litre-/290588713967?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a86fe3ef (no spaces between the www as I am a new member and I'm not allowed to post a link for a week)

Toby.

SussexSteamFan
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:42

yeah perfect !

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:49

the Wolseley is currently running 60% sae30 and 40% Halfords 5w30 and it'll be grateful Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Tue Jan 08 2013, 14:41

SAE 30 is a bit thin, it's more of a winter grade really. If using a monograde I would probably use a SAE40, 30 is a bit like running-in oil.

Be aware though, some of these so called "Classic" oils still contain detergents.

I had a look in Tesco the other day for some cheap oil & their oil is no longer cheap, it's £10 for a 2 litre can! I use some stuff from my local motor factors called Comma Motorway Mineral 20w50. Comes in a blue bottle with a blue & red sticker. It's the cheapest most basic motor oil they carry & is only £3.99 a litre. perfect for stationary engines.

If you want to go down the "Classic Oil" route then Comma classic is pretty good stuff, but I personally wouldn't put a SAE30 in the sump of an old cast iron engine, unless you're planning on doing a lot of winter running. It's more of a chain case oil I reckon. I'd go for a 40. (Well, I would go for the cheapo multigrade stuff I already use, but if I was going down the classic oil route I would use a 40).

EDIT:
Having said that, it seems a SAE30 would be OK as there is an overlap. But SAE40 is supposed to be used in ambient air temperatures over about 20 degC. & as these old engines are a bit worn out, I would personally still go for the thicker, SAE40 oil to "fill in the gaps" a bit better, you'll probably find the engine will be quieter running on it. Here's a helpful little chart I found....

Obviously it will be slightly different for different engines, but to be honest, if you were stuck on a dessert island, or in an end of world scenario you could put chip fat in the sump & the engine would still run. So as long as it says "Engine Oil" on the tin, it'll work. It all depends on how much you want to pamper your engine, & lets face it, we all like doing that Very Happy .

My dad has vintage & classic bikes, he's got a friend with a very old bike which has a drip feed oiling system (known as "total loss" as the oil eventually gets burned away or drips off the engine). The oil pump on this bike broke without the owner realising. He did a couple of local runs, without trouble. then he did a long organised run to France & back, still without trouble. It wasn't until some time later, on another local run, that the engine finally seized up.
Now, I'm not saying you don't need oil, but I was surprised to find out how long it took for that engine to seize. By all accounts it was rebuilt without too much damage being caused.

Oh yes, & if you read Ian's post further up the page, from back in August. he STILL hasn't put his hand in his pocket & bought any of these "special" oils for the engines Rolling Eyes
Some people are all talk! lol!

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SussexSteamFan on Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:08

I'm just looking for an all-round oil (if there's such a thing) to use on my lister d. Shall I go for sae30 or sae20w-50?

Toby.

SussexSteamFan
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Tue Jan 08 2013, 17:23

SussexSteamFan wrote:I'm just looking for an all-round oil (if there's such a thing) to use on my lister d. Shall I go for sae30 or sae20w-50?

Toby.

Doesn't really matter, either will work. Just as long as they are basic oils. If you feel like pampering her then go for the SAE30 Comma Classic stuff. At the end of the day it's not that much more expensive than the basic 20W50 stuff, & at least you know it's a proper classic oil.

About £20 to £25 for 5 litres is a good enough price. My local motor factors does that Comma stuff, they charge about £23 or £24 for 5 litres. Which is about the same as buying 5 litre bottles of the £3.99 20W50 stuff, so there's not much in it price wise.

Also, the tin looks nicer with the classic stuff. The Comma comes in proper old fashioned metal cans Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 20:35

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum