www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My little collection (so far !!!)

+2
Admin
Dave5404
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My little collection (so far !!!) - Page 2 Empty Re: My little collection (so far !!!)

Post by Dave5404 Sun Sep 18 2011, 23:12

I'm pleased with it, but I do need to strengthen the shed floor Very Happy As far as I can see at the moment without pulling it apart, I need a mag and a crankcase inspection plate ( the one on there is homemade). Silencer I'm not worried about at this stage nor starting handle they will come in time. Linkages all appear to be there. Governor has new springs in the box. Fuel tank will do for a starter but I may have a go at making a round one later on. All this after finishing the Wolseley, the D and the pump Rolling Eyes . I will check her over for any clues when I get a minute, the flywheels at first glance have the part number cast into them (2-474) but I haven't checked for any stamped numbers. Need my glasses on to see them lol!
Matt I'd be more than chuffed if an engine started first swing after 40 years mate. Nice one. I'm hoping the internals will be ok when it's stripped. Can't feel any knocks or lumps although there is a bit of end float on the crank. When I dive in I'll find out but that won't be for a while yet I'm guessing. Bloke had had it running and said it sounded ok. Watch this space study

dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

My little collection (so far !!!) - Page 2 Empty Re: My little collection (so far !!!)

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 12:17

Dave not knocking your engine but this is aimed at anyone buying engines, a lot of engines come up for sale and are said to have been overhauled. Well an overhaul to some people is stripping off parts and painting it and not checking for wear or re-newing rings etc. I've sent messages to a few on ebay and asked about wear etc and all they have done is painted it, now I wouldn't call that an overhaul and I'm sure there has to be a legal case against somebody selling engines like that. So anyone looking at buying an engine that's been painted should ask as many questions about the engine as they can to see if it's been overhauled or just splashed with paint. If the seller is vague or doesn't answer please beware to what your buying.
Sorry for taking your thread over a bit Dave, it looks like you have bought a genuine engine from a genuine seller shame others arn't the same.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Mon Sep 19 2011, 19:37

Good shout Stu. Seen engines on Ebay that look like they've just been pressure washed then sprayed from top to bottom or some cases look like they've been chucked in a vat of paint. Personally unless it was a show engine I'd strip it down anyway. Never know something might have been missed. Paint can hide a multitude of sins.
He was an genuine engine nut (sorry enthusiast) lol! Think the immaculate Amanco Choreboy on the trailer gave it away. There are some scrap peddlers out there though

Dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Sep 19 2011, 21:16

i have a starting handle that ism spare if your interested mate
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Sep 23 2011, 08:36

matt86_wd2 wrote:i have a starting handle that ism spare if your interested mate
the tap your after is not the one i have as my tap is a 1/4 bsp tread and looks like a modern style
sorry for delay in response as babys and all else
sorry kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Sep 23 2011, 08:43

stationary stu wrote:Great looking engine Dave you should be very happy with it. I'm not up on Lister A's or B's but on the D's there sometimes the engine number stamped on the flywheel and you could find the details from that. I'm sure Kev, Steve or Brasso might be able to tell you better as they have all owned a similar engine.
Any parts you need shouldn't be that difficult to find, try and get a list as there's a big sort out on soon and someone might be able to find the bits you need if you can't get there yourself.

Stu.

sometimes its on the outside of one of the flywheels mines on valve side
also the end of my crankshft has engine number on it also but not the spec
it starts at a - and goes clockwise also if its not been cut off flywheels cleaned to often over the years
hope this helps
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Fri Sep 23 2011, 22:20

thanks kev. I'll have a look at the weekend if i get a chance. Not been able to even get down the shed this last week. Thanks to the wind the other week will spend this weekend repairing the fence. have seen the engine number on the flywheel on my D but as i said not had a chance to look over the b yet. I need a holiday Sleep Sleep

dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2