www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

finally ... its landed !

+2
BRASSO
matt86
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

finally ... its landed ! Empty finally ... its landed !

Post by matt86 Thu Sep 29 2011, 21:40

The Lister A after the mechanical restoration arrived at home tonight , got it out of trailer and into the shed in the dark ... a picture but will upload more tomorrow in daylight

finally ... its landed ! DSC00436

This engine was sat in a shed and was siezed solid and was sat there for 40 years plus ... fully mechanical strip down ... new rings , valves faced off , seats ground and lapped in , mains scraped etc all cleaned etc etc . the worst bit was the fuel tank .... more holes than a tea bag lol! so had to have a new one made .

this what it looked liked when we dragged it out of the shed ...

finally ... its landed ! DSCN0475

finally ... its landed ! DSCN0478

finally ... its landed ! DSCN0480

finally ... its landed ! DSCN0483

regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

finally ... its landed ! Empty Re: finally ... its landed !

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30 2011, 07:42

Great news that it's joined your collection Matt, is there much more needs doing to it?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO Fri Sep 30 2011, 09:49

I will look forward to seeing this one finished Matt.

Sounds like your doing a cracking job so far.

Keep up the good work.

regards

Martin.
BRASSO
BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Sep 30 2011, 14:00

Finished ... ? It is finished just needs a oily rag treatment .... the trrolley i made from scratch before anyone asks who made it lol!
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01 2011, 11:01

matt86_wd2 wrote:Finished ... ? It is finished just needs a oily rag treatment .... the trrolley i made from scratch before anyone asks who made it lol!

Rolling Eyes oppps lol! I wasn't sure if you'd decided to paint it or not, now I know!! lol! lol! lol!

Good work young man, pat on the back.

Stu.

ps something that's got me thinking, why has it just got home now after all this time? has it been done at work in there time? and was it took home as a runner so her indoors wouldn't complain? Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 01 2011, 12:33

stu it was done at my mates dads place which i go over there and mess around with engines most wed or Thursday nights its a engine mans heaven there .... engines ranging from Lister D up to Blackstone's , and a huge ruston , there is even a few steam rollers there as well .... imagine Fred Dinah's yard ...like that but better lol.

next time there is a open day would you like a invite ? They just had one where everyone is welcome to come and play around with engines etc

and the misses donesnt mind the engines at all ... the more the better in her mind lol
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 01 2011, 19:34

took a few more pictures today , and been down to Bristol to see martin at vintage magnetos , he is going to swap the rotation of my mag and at same time having a new condenser as it has gone open circuit ... the coil also has a intermittent spark but not that much to worry about i think as doesn't miss a spark that often so im going to chance it .

well some pictures ....

finally ... its landed ! DSC00439

finally ... its landed ! DSC00440

finally ... its landed ! DSC00441

regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Oct 01 2011, 22:27

i bet it feels good to get it home,what a cracking trolley mate...
you ever thought of making trolleys for a living mate...
keep up the good work feller..
regards,mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 01 2011, 23:38

yes it does mate ... No i never would of thought that but once i have other shed sorted and all set up and get a decent mig welder i might think about doing it ...

i like how u can see the transfers still though Very Happy
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 10:16

matt86_wd2 wrote:stu it was done at my mates dads place which i go over there and mess around with engines most wed or Thursday nights its a engine mans heaven there .... engines ranging from Lister D up to Blackstone's , and a huge ruston , there is even a few steam rollers there as well .... imagine Fred Dinah's yard ...like that but better lol.

next time there is a open day would you like a invite ? They just had one where everyone is welcome to come and play around with engines etc

and the misses donesnt mind the engines at all ... the more the better in her mind lol

Matt sorry I was pulling your leg, and there's not many women complain as it gets us out from under there feet lol! lol!

I'd love an invite but it's maybe a little to far for me, it sounds like the place I picked the international up from every engine you could think of nothing steam just a tractor.

I have to agree with Mike it's a great trolley, had a good look at it and can't fault it, I'd like to make the same axle set up but wood skids but I'm better at welding then woodwork lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 10:23

Cleaned up well! are you going to black up that exhaust a bit? would look good with a bit of zebo to tone down the shine.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 02 2011, 10:50

Good idea with the exhaust and I wonder if the fuel tank could also be weathered then it would be spot on, maybe rub it down with wet and dry and let it rust abit. Just a thought.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Oct 02 2011, 12:26

what is zebo ? stone balckener ? but i havent had it running yet with the exhaust on just the pipe .... Im waiting for my mag back from martin , and with the tank it will take a while to weather .

Stu with the trolley i quite like it .... im starting to think i should make all my trolleys like this .... as with wood to make a decent job you have to use a hardwood otherwise looks sh*te . and being that hardwood is so expensive if you cock it up my favorite is steel . You never know one day i might start making them for other people ... lol!
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 10:40

I made a steel trolley for the Lister G and I'm very happy with it more so then the wood one I've just made for the Wolseley, a mistake with steel can be welded up and ground flat try doing that with wood Laughing Laughing I only used wood this time for lightness and it was some soft wood I had spare. Unless you have some kind of skill with wood then it's difficult to work with, I was thinking if I wanted to use hard wood I'd go to a reclamation center but I couldn't tell the difference between hard n soft woods Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Oct 03 2011, 17:18

stationary stu wrote:I made a steel trolley for the Lister G and I'm very happy with it more so then the wood one I've just made for the Wolseley, a mistake with steel can be welded up and ground flat try doing that with wood Laughing Laughing I only used wood this time for lightness and it was some soft wood I had spare. Unless you have some kind of skill with wood then it's difficult to work with, I was thinking if I wanted to use hard wood I'd go to a reclamation center but I couldn't tell the difference between hard n soft woods Laughing Laughing

Stu.

look at the grain pattern alot closer on a seasoned and knot free stu , plus hardwood is well harder lol
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 18:04

I found soft wood ok though my engine are all quite light, I think the grain and nots look quite well with a dye added to the wood to draw them out.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Oct 03 2011, 19:22

Skankin_giant wrote:I found soft wood ok though my engine are all quite light, I think the grain and nots look quite well with a dye added to the wood to draw them out.

Cheers Steve

that may be the case steve but its not as hard wearing ... ie gets marked easy and chucks taken off etc
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 06 2011, 19:55

and some pictures of it finished !

finally ... its landed ! DSC00463

finally ... its landed ! DSC00461

finally ... its landed ! DSC00460

regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Oct 08 2011, 00:40

i love to use hard wood for my trolleys..but each to there own i say....
the discussion could go on for a while about this subject...
soft wood,hard wood.metal..it all does the same thing at the end of the day..
so you go with what you are happy with...
regards,mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08 2011, 11:18

Hard wood does look the best but some people can work with metal easier and then it comes down to cost and soft wood is the cheap answer so it's a case of everyone doing a trolley on what best is suitable to them. At the end of the day my engines are not first class show winners so I go for the cheap way or is that just coz I'm tight with money lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat Oct 08 2011, 19:02

I am pretty sure that most engines only had softwood trolleys when new, cant imagine Lister using oak with the amount of stuff that they churned out! Have to admit though that I am better with steel than wood. Embarassed

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 08 2011, 20:31

think thats the case of most people ... my opinion is its a old engine , its going to get oil and dirty ! you get some people that get the paint brush out if a tiny nick in paint and polishing everything thats brass and even to the extent chrome bits as well . Not my cup of tea ... as you can see from the A type .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat Oct 08 2011, 21:50

Agree with you Matt, I usually do a full strip and repaint but from there on any little knocks etc are left so it looks a little "work worn". I am also banned from using Brasso etc by my club mates as whenever I get the tin out wet weather soon arrives!!!!! Wink

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Oct 08 2011, 21:54

good man ! As you can see the engine is in origional condition but had to paint the trolley as was constructed by myself and would look odd if not painted .

Did you see the video of it ... get a better view of workmanship all around .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sun Oct 09 2011, 00:05

i think your rite Pete..it was only the American engines that had the hard wood trolleys,but most of them were on skids..
but its up to the owner i think what wood or metal they use..
im no good with metal unless its large stuff..
regards,mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next