www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

finally ... its landed !

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: finally ... its landed !

Post by matt86 on Sat Oct 08 2011, 23:13

mike d wrote:i think your rite Pete..it was only the American engines that had the hard wood trolleys,but most of them were on skids..
but its up to the owner i think what wood or metal they use..
im no good with metal unless its large stuff..
regards,mike...

surely the silly old fool could cobbel together a box section base ? stick welder be fine for that ?

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Oct 09 2011, 09:13

matt86_wd2 wrote:
mike d wrote:i think your rite Pete..it was only the American engines that had the hard wood trolleys,but most of them were on skids..
but its up to the owner i think what wood or metal they use..
im no good with metal unless its large stuff..
regards,mike...

surely the silly old fool could cobbel together a box section base ? stick welder be fine for that ?

lol! lol! lol! I think they are only allowed crayons in the old folks home Matt.
Well it's 3 votes in favour of metal, but I think that's just because we can weld lol! lol! lol!
Pete you must have got through a few tins of Brasso at Croft a few years back when they had that much rain they had to cancel the show on the Sunday lol! lol! lol!
Sorry I know this will upset a few but it's only my opinion, I think an engine that's painted and polished attracks more of a crowd at a show then one left in "working clothes" it's the same with anything cars, trucks, tractors it shows to me that hard work has gone into it's presentation. I know you could have a 1 off engine at a show but you'll only find genuine engine enthusiasts looking at it and the paying crowds will walk past without a second glance.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Sun Oct 09 2011, 11:55

i know where you coming from stu ... you think the amount of time we spend painting an engine up .... takes bloody ages ! and can be alot of faffing about .... if its got original paint why not just leave it ...

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Sun Oct 09 2011, 23:32

oh oh..i know were you to buggers will be going in a minute.....
i will have to keep an eye on you 2...
regards,mike..

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO on Mon Oct 10 2011, 08:15

I think there are two differnent types of enthusiast to be honest. Restoration and Preservation.

Restoration of an engine is i.e stripping it down, repainting and making it look pretty much as it would have come from the factory "when new". Then you have preservation, i.e finding and engine and getting it back up and running, but leaving it it in "as found" or "working" condition.

Either way is part of the hobby we all enjoy and entirely down to the owner. It would be a boring old hobby if we all did the same things to them.

Well, thats my opinion anyway, as long as we all enjoy what we do, thats all that matters.

Cheers

Martin.

BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Mon Oct 10 2011, 09:07

thats very true martin !

i have seen people selling a engine that had be restored mechanical before and sometimes gets knocked down on price because of the paint condition ie original looking . Then you could go the other way and get a engine that's like new paintwork but has not even been touched on the inside . If i bought a engine like that had been restored i would been give the opinion that has been inspected on the inside and rebuilt and then painted . If it went wrong ie valve dropped big end knock etc , would be a bit put out considering that engine was bought as 'restored' .

but that just my opinion .

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Oct 10 2011, 09:44

Yes your right Martin and this could run for months about restoration or preservation and everyones ideas on what's best.
And Matt I have to agree with you to the people that paint an engine without checking for wear, I have done it myself but the engine wasn't worth much so couldn't see the point of getting it bored out and oversize piston for an engine just to run a few times a month. Don't get me wrong if the engine is worth a bit of money it's worth doing but the likes of villiers, Bsa's even Lister D's that's 2 a penny is it worth spending alot of money on it or how about swapping the block then it's not original. Where as I'd rather leave it original with wear then non original with no or little wear.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:42

You have done a great job, I think its up to the person restore the engines.
This is how I go about my engines, when I get them in there working cloths or done up I always like to get them running, if they are siezed solid, I will strip down sort it out and then paint it. Everybody as there ways of doing things.
What gets me I have seen some great paint jobs on engines and they are running and knocking like crap.
If the a jobs wourth doing do it properly
Jonesey

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:49

I cant agree with you better Chris ... in my opinion some engine should be left in there working clothes and some should be restored mechanically and paintwork . like if you have a engine and there is no paint at all all is rust then i think you should paint .But my engine has all the transfers visible still so its staying in the working clothes .

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Sun Dec 04 2011, 19:59

Matt it looks really great, nice letter in the S.E. Mag as well. Fame at last Laughing
Jonesey

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Sun Dec 04 2011, 22:08

JONESEY wrote:Matt it looks really great, nice letter in the S.E. Mag as well. Fame at last Laughing
Jonesey

Cheers Chris , nice little write up if i do say myself Laughing

not to bad , its in a few bits at the moment as have had some teething problems since then with the followers , but easy be sorted when i have time and the space ... bit by bit getting closer to finishing the 2nd shed .

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 on Sun Dec 11 2011, 21:42

Enjoyed the write up in Stationary Engine Mag Matt.
Nice one !

Dave

Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Sun Dec 11 2011, 21:50

Dave5404 wrote:Enjoyed the write up in Stationary Engine Mag Matt.
Nice one !

Dave
thanks alot Dave , just having a few teething problems with it now .

Regards , matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 16:04

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top