www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Winter header picture.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winter header picture.

Post by stationary stu on Sun Nov 27 2011, 10:54

Please submit your picture here.

If you not sure what this is about please read this thread.

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t3849-forum-header-pic-for-over-the-winter-months-only

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter header picture.

Post by mike d on Sun Nov 27 2011, 23:32

thanks Stu for that..im sure i know the members will be on the case quickly...
if its posted i think i know the winner...
regards,mike..

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Sun Nov 27 2011, 23:51

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Nov 28 2011, 10:31

Thanks Mike ermm did you read the conditions .....nope thought not. LOL I asked for just one picture of an engine that you currently own, in working order and would be happy to show ar a rally. So could you please pick one Mike Very Happy It's so members that havn't been lucky enough to have there engine shown get the chance, there'll be no voting I'll just keep changing the pic every few weeks.
Hope that's cleared that up,

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Mon Nov 28 2011, 12:33

ops...sorry mate got a bit carried away...all sorted now though..
save the rest for another time.. lol! lol! lol! lol!
regards,mike...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

my fowler

Post by earlsinclare on Mon Nov 28 2011, 17:00

ripley 2011.

earlsinclare
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob on Mon Nov 28 2011, 18:02

The National Gas & Oil Engine Company type F engine

Iinformation is scarce on these engines but it is thought that less than 2,500 of these were ever made.
One of the jobs these engines were built for was to power air compressors used to start National's bigger engines.

This one is thought to date from 1935 and different sources quote it as being somewhere between 1 and 3 horsepower, the engine is designed to start on petrol then run on paraffin.

some info from my research (may not be accurate)

Around 1929, a small, horizontal, enclosed-crank petrol/paraffin engine was introduced. Developing 2 1/4 to 2 2/4 bhp at speeds of 800/1000rpm, it was offered with either hopper or tank cooling. The ignition was by Wico EK trip magneto or Wico rotary magneto, which was located, somewhat vulnerably, at the rear of the crankcase. The fuel tank, located over the crank actually formed part of the crankcase. A gas version was also offered in which the fuel tank was replaced by a simple cover plate. An unusual feature of this model was that the interior surfaces were painted an orangey-red colour.

As far as i can tell from my research so far.............. only 7 of these are known to still exist, there may be others but google searches only point to this one ..................

Stu if you need a hand resizing images for other engines let me know .

Neville

hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Mon Nov 28 2011, 20:15

hi Nevile..
that looks like a very nice little engine...
and sounds like a rare bit of kit as well,with only a small number know in existence..
thanks for sharing it with us all..
regards,mike..

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden on Tue Nov 29 2011, 14:08

Recently restored by me, and it does work! Laughing

Pete.

Foden
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 29 2011, 17:11

Pic of my Scott PAB running at IF End Of Season

Here is some of its interesting features.

The PA stationary engine however was different. Designed to meet a Ministry requirement for a portable electrical generator for the Bofors anti-aircraft gun and its Kerrison Predictor, it was produced during the Second World War by both Scott and its former partners Jowett. It was air cooled, petroil lubricated and featured a loop scavenge design with two opposed main transfer ports supplemented by a third "boost" port opposite the exhaust. This arrangement was patented by Scott in 1939, but is often mistakenly believed to be of post-war origin as it was later widely adopted for motorcycle racing engines and power boats after its "reinvention" in the late 1950s by East German motorcycle manufacturer MZ.

And this is also Quite interesting

the induction cooling is fairly novel too, with almost the entire engine encased in a cowling. The casting around the cylinder has fins on the inside which mate with the cylinder fins creating a very rapid and efficient air flow between the two matching pieces. Air is drawn down from the top of the cylinder and expelled through the flywheel, instead of blown over. The exhaust system also deserves a mention and is designed for exceptional quietness. There is an expansion chamber immediately adjacent to the exhaust ports, from which two exhaust pipes run to the hollow chassis cross member, which is a second expansion chamber. This in turn communicates with two more hollow chassis members which act as silencers and also the bedplate for the unit, it is quite unusual for the engine to retain this exhaust system as it is normally butchered off to make them easier to move. so feel quite luck to have a complete one.

About 20 know survivors, many were misused by the army as the gunners believed they could aim the guns better themselves, so would not put the 2 stroke mixture into the fuel!

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy on Tue Nov 29 2011, 19:03

Heres My Contribution

This engine now requires a cast welder but thats a different story. but if you do no a good cast iron welder please let me no.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Jan 08 2012, 10:30

Sorry to say this is now closed so anyone wanting there engine on show on the forum header you still have a chance when Paul starts the monthly header pic only you need to bribe us first so we vote for you lol! lol! lol!
Thanks everyone who sent there pics in and the remaining few will be posted over the coming weeks.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sat Feb 18 2012, 10:56

Well that's them all shown thanks to everyone and hope you enjoyed your engine on show. Paul will be doing his normal picture comp. so get your pictures ready.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Sat Feb 18 2012, 12:31

im ready with mine mate..but cant remember what ones ive shown already...lol.lol

mike...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:03

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top