www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

+10
steve w
Bamfordlad
Abes
ian webb
kevjhnsn
Diddy
mike d
hob
JONESEY
matt86
14 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 6 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20 2013, 14:10

I forgot about the mag, hope you can sort it and it doesn't need to go away for repair.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 6 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 20 2013, 14:14

stationary stu wrote:I forgot about the mag, hope you can sort it and it doesn't need to go away for repair.

Stu.

I hope so too but not sure how i am going to find out what thread the mag pickup holes are ....

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 20 2013, 20:43

Some good news i held the pickup in with mt thump while spinning over with other hand , and we have a nice blue spark Smile All the moths in the kitchen cupboard has done it good then . considering it was on the engine in a cold wet shed its not too bad .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21 2013, 12:18

matt86 wrote:Some good news i held the pickup in with mt thump while spinning over with other hand , and we have a nice blue spark Smile All the moths in the kitchen cupboard has done it good then . considering it was on the engine in a cold wet shed its not too bad .

Matt

Wish I had moths that can repair mags. Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great news the mags ok so no more excuses about getting it finished. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 21 2013, 12:39

great moths ain't they Laughing

nope not at all stu, hopefully il get the carb on later, as I've sourced a replacement bottom for a solex. get that together later, then just order a few odd bits, thinking with the screws il just order the hole range of ba screws that way il find some that fits Laughing

Just hope the shellac on the armature is ok, common problem that it can melt and seize up the mag after been run since been sat for a few years.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21 2013, 12:57

Matt, it's handy to get a stock of BA screws but try and get long ones then they can be cut down as needed.

I hope the mags is ok once you get it going, it would be a shame if it failed once you had it all up and running.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 21 2013, 13:01

stu, there a company that sells cheese head screws in packs of ten same size for £1.60 each, so il get a few packs from 0ba to 8ba I think.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21 2013, 13:08

I bought the box of mixed BA screws and nuts, had it years now it includes cheese and counter sunk screws and nuts to fit. Think it cost about £30 when I bought it, the only set I can see on ebay is £70 affraid and I thought I'd payed to much for mine but I needed some at the time.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 21 2013, 14:03

That's why I don't want to buy a selection box. the more odd and scarce threads are the more responsive it gets Sad

Try g w fasteners, they have a good range of odd threads that you can't get from your local fastener shop. 2 places on Swindon neither of them even stock unc or unf Shocked

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Tue Jan 22 2013, 08:21

Matt,

Got your measurements, could only get to my pumping set engine. Its 25mm from flywheel edge to governor side cover, but I suspect I have allowed a little more on my other engines as the pumpset flywheel has to be clear of the pump gearing. I would set it to 25mm, see how it goes with getting the cover off, and if its still tight try 30mm.

Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 22 2013, 09:33

Cheers Dave, I will do that next time I do a bit, seems odd why there is nit a spacer of some kind, never known a engine to much of a gap behind the flywheel, well ones I have worked on... Don't expect there many engines that you need access behind flywheel anyway.

just my thoughts, il set it to 30mm and be on the safe side.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 24 2013, 22:29

a little update as i bet stu is itching for me to get her running . Laughing Laughing Laughing

well got some screws for the mag pick up and that all on and together and sparking

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 6 1316

Got the carb and fuel lines all connected and adapted to fit , need to test if it leaks as not tried it yet . Just done a temporary exhaust pipe for now , the flange with some 1" bsp pipe welded to it Laughing wonder if it be loud .....

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 6 1319

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 6 1317

but i did forget that my engines is a "PAL" rather than the normal "PA" wonder what difference that makes .... Rolling Eyes and that plate is nicley on the engine now with some period matching screws .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 6 1320

All need to do is make a felt seal for the mag drive hole once the felt gets here and fit guvnor spring and hook and time it up and fit the crank pin into the handle the right way .

Oh and move the flywheel back to a better position , and clean and paint it when the weather is better .
Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Jan 24 2013, 23:10

PAL is a low speed engine, think my one is as well, but i cant remember

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 24 2013, 23:16

cheers matt , bet your looking at this one in discuss and its been dulexed Laughing

think this may be one of the last engines i paint for a while , its nearlly taken a year to do it so far Embarassed

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25 2013, 11:53

Yes Matt I'm waiting patently for the big day when you crank her over. Very Happy

You've been on with this a year affraid I still win I was on 18 months with my WD8 and it's still not running right but I do have another mag for it, so fingers crossed that should cure the problem.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Jan 25 2013, 17:19

see if i can beat you there i could drop everything and put a sheet over it ..... I think not ! Laughing Laughing

Im itching to get it going stu but i cant do anything at the moment , waiting for parts .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26 2013, 12:43

That's the spirit Matt, get er done. Very Happy Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 26 2013, 20:42

The parts have turned up today , while i was out gallivanting in dorset , so tomorow i can get it finished if nothing else crops up for me to do Laughing Laughing

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 26 2013, 23:21

couldn't resist a little tinker tonight so i got the mag on and timed up and its not all good ... the mag has got a spark but not a verry big one when its cranked over by hand Crying or Very sad

So this project has come to a stop and put on the back burner , and il get the mag send off when i can spare the cash getting it done , as got a a ignitor away at the moment and got a Lucus rs1 that needs a new coil which is around £80 . So that get done in next few months hopefully before may ish .

Oh well i got a Fairbanks to get on with soon , and a dairy display that needs to be sorted oh and a pump that needs plumbong up and testing and a small frame made for that .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 13:03

Sorry to hear the mags not to good after all, will it defiantly not run the way it is, if everything is set up correct it might just coff into life.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Sun Jan 27 2013, 18:52

Hi Matt,

Typical Lucas N1.....! If you are even getting a small spark, try reducing the plug gap down, you might just get enough to get the engine running even for a short test run. Definitely worth getting your mag rewound when you can, they are a good mag when sorted out but can be problematic. Hope you get something sorted out. Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 27 2013, 19:24

It doesnt spark all the time , and when does is around 5mm spark , I will try closing the plug gap a touch

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6