www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

+10
steve w
Bamfordlad
Abes
ian webb
kevjhnsn
Diddy
mike d
hob
JONESEY
matt86
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by JONESEY Thu Dec 15 2011, 17:17

No they normally like to work from the crank measherments them self they talk in measherments I have never herd of Laughing Laughing Laughing
There used to be a great chap in chiseldon he,s retired now but used to work from home .
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 15 2011, 17:22

I rhink i have sussed this out spoken to a mate of mine and he said in end of jan ish we can have a go making some and he will show me what to do and i can make them myself . I just have to get the material myself Smile

Also he will help me make the big end bearing too .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Dec 15 2011, 22:57

Sorted that sounds great nothing better than doing it yourself, when its running like a clock you can stand back and say I restored that Smile Smile
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16 2011, 10:16

Good luck Matt and keep us updated on your latest skill, sounds interesting.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Dec 17 2011, 19:22

been spending a while un sticking the piston rings on the piston today , been submerging it in diesel and then applying some heat from propane torch , then more soaking a bit of taping then more heat etc etc .

Finally freed the rings off , with no damage at all Very Happy so hopefully will not need to get any new rings ..

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 DSC00641

Did notice that in the bottom grove there is 2 rings in there ... Rolling Eyes what is this about a bodge or what ???

Regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sat Dec 17 2011, 19:45

No thats your oil ring be carefull taking them off the piston if your intending to use them again
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sat Dec 17 2011, 19:53

2 rings? or 1 ring with a step in it?

the end gap in the rings looks very wide compared to the ones in my petter
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Dec 17 2011, 20:12

JONESEY wrote:No thats your oil ring be carefull taking them off the piston if your intending to use them again
Jonesey

Chris i am re using the rings again , I have a pair of piston ring pliers that do just the job at removing them , lent them to mike he was so impressed he had to buy a set lol! lol!
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sat Dec 17 2011, 20:49

Ah I always use bits of plastic card, as long as you get them off in one thats al that matters
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Dec 17 2011, 20:55

JONESEY wrote:Ah I always use bits of plastic card, as long as you get them off in one thats al that matters
Jonesey

Chris i have has too many insodents with 2 flat screwdrivers that did not plan out well Embarassed
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sat Dec 17 2011, 23:21

We all learn by are mistakes, it's good in away becouse you learn how to do things right. At the time you dont think like that Laughing Laughing .
I have different tools in my tool box which I have made over the years screw drivers with bits ground out, spanners ground down to fit into places.
I dont think we will ever stop learning.
Getting back to the topic The fowler dont look like its had much hard work in its life.
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Dec 17 2011, 23:52

The bore is clean , just a bit of a hone and should be ok ... should be quite a easy restoration , No point me even start to think on cleaning the metal up to paint it untill the weather gets a bit warmer . But hopefully will make this one a full strip down and repaint .. that what the plans are .

Be good once its done as you dont see many of them .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Feb 10 2012, 21:43

A bit of a update i have finally started to do a bit of work on the fowler ....

started to clean up and paint some parts in some red oxide

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 DSC00755

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 DSC00756

what is your opinion on rust pits on tinwork .... ?

do i skim with some filler or do i leave .... some people says adds character etc ....#

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 DSC00758

regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10 2012, 22:00

Leave them proves its done some work.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Fri Feb 10 2012, 22:30

matt..nice to see your making progress..keep it up mate....did you ask your mate if hes selling me an engine??????
regards,mike....
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Feb 10 2012, 22:51

havent seen him in a while mate we both been busy .

oh i like your answerphone message lol

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Fri Feb 10 2012, 23:10

matt86_wd2 wrote:haven't seen him in a while mate we both been busy .

oh i like your answerphone message lol

matt

ok Matt,keep me in mind when you do mate...thanks again reed timber constructions..lol.lol..oh yes your sacked...
mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Feb 10 2012, 23:19

sacked ..... i didnt even know i was hired lol

i assume your talking about darren ? he hasn't got much for sale at the moment unless you want over 30 d types lol

i will get some more painting done tomorrow once ive gone and got some more white spirit and a few more paint brushes and wet and dry . I do insist on having decent brushes when doing my engines as i have done it so many times with cheap brushes and end up having hairs in the paint ..... grrr But the best brush is a well used brush . i better get using them then , and dont forget to clean them after lol! lol!

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Fri Feb 10 2012, 23:31

Looking good Matt, I use varnish or wood care brushes they are longer and finer hair Smile
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Fri Feb 10 2012, 23:33

matt86_wd2 wrote:sacked ..... i didn't even know i was hired lol

i assume your talking about Darren ? he hasn't got much for sale at the moment unless you want over 30 d types lol

i will get some more painting done tomorrow once ive gone and got some more white spirit and a few more paint brushes and wet and dry . I do insist on having decent brushes when doing my engines as i have done it so many times with cheap brushes and end up having hairs in the paint ..... grrr But the best brush is a well used brush . i better get using them then , and don't forget to clean them after lol! lol!

matt

Matt i couldn't agree more mate..keep us posted on the progress....
regards,mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddy Fri Feb 10 2012, 23:56

keep up the good work matt.i tend to use harris brushs when the pocket can aford them.i will put some more pics up of my engine soon.
Diddy
Diddy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Feb 11 2012, 00:12

Diddy wrote:keep up the good work matt.i tend to use harris brushs when the pocket can aford them.i will put some more pics up of my engine soon.

exactlly what i use dave , and yes there not cheap but for what they cost i allways clean them out well or leave in a jar of white spirit for a few days if i will using again in the next few days . if leave too long the brush goes all gunky is the best way to explain it Laughing

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:34

Well a little update on the fowler ... i have been cleaning up parts and painting , rubbing down panting etc .

so alot is not so rusty no more . the only rusty part left is the block . But thats another issue with having a bent crankshaft ... but one should be on transit as we speak !

here is what the final paint will look like , that is 3 coats of primer and 3 top coats . Has been rubbed down in between all coats with the top cats needed to leave at least a 3 days before doing it lightly .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 2 DSC00804

Sends of a good shine , but once the engine is all together and painted you will see what i mean , at moment light is a bit dim .

Regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:50

looking good keep it up
and shinning well so far
ive PM ed you about fowler and a question from me
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Feb 27 2012, 23:02

kevjhnsn wrote:looking good keep it up
and shinning well so far
ive PM ed you about fowler and a question from me
kev

and you have a reply kev .....

Im taking my time with this engine as want it to be a show winner Wink

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next