www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

+10
steve w
Bamfordlad
Abes
ian webb
kevjhnsn
Diddy
mike d
hob
JONESEY
matt86
14 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by mike d Mon Feb 27 2012, 23:40

starting to look good feller,keep up the good work...
once you have finished i have a few engines that could do with painting..lol.lol.
mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by JONESEY Mon Feb 27 2012, 23:44

Looking good Matt, I hope your not into this show winning stuff, just go to the rally and enjoy your self
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:21

Looking good Matt, like Chris says go and enjoy it and if you win it's a bonus.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Feb 28 2012, 19:03

JONESEY wrote:Looking good Matt, I hope your not into this show winning stuff, just go to the rally and enjoy your self
Jonesey
I meant by a show winning standard chris not as a show winner as i dont want the paint just slapped on etc

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:02

its coming along quite quick mate..seems to start off slow then off it goes towards the end of the build.....
well done feller....
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:08

Hopefully tomorow il be doing some white metal bearing pouring for the 1st time . Seen it done last week .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:03

bit of a update ... been over doing some more work on the fowler and now it is all a pile of bits the bent crank is out at last ... flywheel off and all bearing cups are out etc so have a bare block ... i know im going to be busy now cleaning and stripping that down .

Matt

Ps i will get some more pictures up in next day or so all the dirty oily bits are in the back of van strapped down .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:27

matt at this rate you should be ready for abbey hill with it..lol..
keep us informed of the progress feller..
mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:30

mike d wrote:matt at this rate you should be ready for abbey hill with it..lol..
keep us informed of the progress feller..
mike..

somehow i doubt it mate lol but i need to still get the valves out and see what the seats and faces are like ...

What do you lads do regarding cutting valve seats if badly pitted ... ? If just lap in would take you weeks !

Ive got over a week off work now so im sure il find some time to get the block cleaned up and primed at least ...

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:36

Matt if there really pitted i use rechargeable drill on them with coarse paste going backwards and forwards till good then do them normally by hand with fine until nicely seated, usually works a treat,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08 2012, 10:30

I use an electric drill with coase paste to get the seat as best as I can then finish off with fine paste. I might have a look for a set of stones they can't be that expensive, anyone bought any? It was just a few days ago I went past a place that did engine work and was wondering how much they would charge to do the seats and valve faces, might have to call them for the next engine.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 19 2012, 17:00

stationary stu wrote:I use an electric drill with coase paste to get the seat as best as I can then finish off with fine paste. I might have a look for a set of stones they can't be that expensive, anyone bought any? It was just a few days ago I went past a place that did engine work and was wondering how much they would charge to do the seats and valve faces, might have to call them for the next engine.

Stu.

right guys i know its been some time since i have done any work on the fowler but i started to do the valves last night ,

The exhaust valve was badly pitted lapped in with batt drill and got a nice grey clean ring around the vale and the seat now Very Happy I just need to finish lap in the inlet with some fine and clean out and resemble the springs and place the collets in .

Thne im on a bit of a stand still untill my mate has some time to pour a new big end and machine it for me .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 21 2012, 19:33

Been catching up with a few odd jobs today in the sheds and the garden i managed to get some done on the fowler .

The block is now all cleaned up and has had 3 coats of red oxide

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 DSC00945

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 DSC00946

The valves have been cleaned up and lapped in , took a while with the exhaust ... never seen pits that bad but both seal well now

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 DSC00947

all the other parts have been cleaned up and painted , carb has been cleaned up the float bowl threads have been stripped . The only way i can think to sort this is to Tig weld holes up and drill and cut some new threads as not much meat around the holes to go next size up . The only parts to clean up now is the flywheel and the tank straps .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 DSC00948

David S will be making me a new fuel tank . Thank you in advance David .

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Apr 21 2012, 21:08

Looking great mate getting there, are you going to get a chance to show it this year then

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 21 2012, 21:19

Abes wrote:Looking great mate getting there, are you going to get a chance to show it this year then

Abes i dont think i will get a chance to show it this year as waiting on people for parts being made .. the cam bearings are being made and the big end will need to be poured and machined to fit so that's waiting on a mate of mine but its in there own time so may be waiting a while mate . It wont be much price wise so surely that's better than paying going rates .

But This project has been me sort of doing a bit when i feel like as you are aware i have more projects / jobs to do .

Had the Lister running today for a few hours chugged away nicely as well mate . hows the scott coming along ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Apr 21 2012, 21:31

Well as the old saying goes if its worth doing its worth doing right be even sweeter when its done, scott coming along great managed to get the pulley trimmed up (great big chip on the end) and skimmed as the face was not that great then got it painted and fitted this afternoon, Ell managed to pick up my winch for the van on Friday so spent a fair bit of time sorting out the base for that just needs fitting now

matt86 wrote:
Abes wrote:Looking great mate getting there, are you going to get a chance to show it this year then

Abes i dont think i will get a chance to show it this year as waiting on people for parts being made .. the cam bearings are being made and the big end will need to be poured and machined to fit so that's waiting on a mate of mine but its in there own time so may be waiting a while mate . It wont be much price wise so surely that's better than paying going rates .

But This project has been me sort of doing a bit when i feel like as you are aware i have more projects / jobs to do .

Had the Lister running today for a few hours chugged away nicely as well mate . hows the scott coming along ?

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamfordlad Sat Apr 21 2012, 22:11

matt86 wrote:Been catching up with a few odd jobs today in the sheds and the garden i managed to get some done on the fowler .

carb has been cleaned up the float bowl threads have been stripped . The only way i can think to sort this is to Tig weld holes up and drill and cut some new threads as not much meat around the holes to go next size up . The only parts to clean up now is the flywheel and the tank straps .

matt

On our Bamford the threads had striped and a longer bolt fitted with a nut on the bottom. Got it repaired with a Recoil thread insert and it has been fine for years. From memory its an stanard M6 thread.

Don't think you will be able to weld it as its a zinc allum alloy.

Bamfordlad
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 21 2012, 22:42

Bamfordlad wrote:
matt86 wrote:Been catching up with a few odd jobs today in the sheds and the garden i managed to get some done on the fowler .

carb has been cleaned up the float bowl threads have been stripped . The only way i can think to sort this is to Tig weld holes up and drill and cut some new threads as not much meat around the holes to go next size up . The only parts to clean up now is the flywheel and the tank straps .

matt

On our Bamford the threads had striped and a longer bolt fitted with a nut on the bottom. Got it repaired with a Recoil thread insert and it has been fine for years. From memory its an stanard M6 thread.

Don't think you will be able to weld it as its a zinc allum alloy.

I have a feeling you can weld it with the TIG set up for ali welding . Plus the thread is not m6 its 1/4" whit!

i did think about doing a helicoil but as you are aware there is not much material around the hole ...
matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Apr 22 2012, 12:32

Apologies to bamfordlad , i assuming that the carb was an alloy you could tig it but again its another monkey metal & after correspondence with someone in the know been told not to weld it and the bolts "should" be metric unless someone has re tapped it .

So i will just nut and bolt it and file away part of the nut so fits on the underside .

Cheers , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamfordlad Sun Apr 22 2012, 22:06

matt86 wrote:Apologies to bamfordlad , i assuming that the carb was an alloy you could tig it but again its another monkey metal & after correspondence with someone in the know been told not to weld it and the bolts "should" be metric unless someone has re tapped it .

So i will just nut and bolt it and file away part of the nut so fits on the underside .

Cheers , matt

Solex 26 range of carbs and probably others as well are a French design and ALL the threads are metric, which is why I said M6. Been playing with these Solex carbs for long enough and am also considered an expert on them, but also still got a lot to learn especially re Jets, venturies, airchokes etc. This area becomes a literal minefield, there are so many combinations. What works on one manufactures 1.1/2hp engine will not run right on another manufactures 1.1/2Hp engine.

Bamfordlad
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Apr 22 2012, 22:21

Bamfordlad wrote:
matt86 wrote:Apologies to bamfordlad , i assuming that the carb was an alloy you could tig it but again its another monkey metal & after correspondence with someone in the know been told not to weld it and the bolts "should" be metric unless someone has re tapped it .

Cheers , matt

Solex 26 range of carbs and probably others as well are a French design and ALL the threads are metric, which is why I said M6. Been playing with these Solex carbs for long enough and am also considered an expert on them, but also still got a lot to learn especially re Jets, venturies, airchokes etc. This area becomes a literal minefield, there are so many combinations. What works on one manufactures 1.1/2hp engine will not run right on another manufactures 1.1/2Hp engine.

I bet there are so many combinations you can have ....

You say solex are french ...? So why does it say made in england on the top ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamfordlad Sun Apr 22 2012, 22:36

As I said a French design, never said they were made in France.

See here for the history of Solexhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solex

Bamfordlad
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Apr 22 2012, 22:51

Bamfordlad wrote:As I said a French design, never said they were made in France.

See here for the history of Solexhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solex

Thank you for that information you lern new thing most days in this hobby .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 01 2013, 18:19

Lads since i was in the workshop / garden having a play with the Lister A . I was pondering to oneself with a cuppa in hand and thought i should get on and do some more to the fowler under the rag in the corner .

Its been months since i updated this thread , may have to go through and give the thread a good clean up .

anyway . The engine block is now painted and had time to harden off in the topcoat . everything else has been painted except the flywheel and the tank straps . Had some camshaft bearings made and a new big end made from bronze . so decided to get it all together and the big end shimmed correctly so not too tight or too loose . anyway here are some pictures ...

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 IMAG0800_zpseb75b1af

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 IMAG0803_zps1cdf6cc1

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 IMAG0804_BURST001_zpsee9a6eb3

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 3 IMAG0805_zps20ed794b

Had a chance to use some new tools i bought a while ago too , bought a cylinder honer and a piston ring compressor . Makes you think why didn't i ever buy these before just so much easier than using 2 screwdrivers etc .

more pictures to follow of the rest of restoration when i take some when in workshop next .

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:18

Bout time you did some work on it, shame on you, it was April your last report. A good guy like you on the job shouldn't take you long to get it sorted and up and running you just need a few good days and it will be ready to show. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next