www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

+10
steve w
Bamfordlad
Abes
ian webb
kevjhnsn
Diddy
mike d
hob
JONESEY
matt86
14 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by matt86 Wed Jan 02 2013, 17:48

I know other things have been getting in the way stu .

Now the van is priority as it failed its MOT today on rear brakes imbalanced . and also the drivers window regulator has broken both need to be done ASAP ! But i can least do a hour or so in the evening on the engine Very Happy

Next step would be to sand the trolley down and get a coat of finishing oil on it .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 Empty Re: yet another rusty lump ! Fowler 1pa restoration .

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 11:59

Sorry to hear about your van Matt but it's not to bad just being the rear brakes, it could have been a lot worse if it had failed on welding which you'd luckily already done. Hope it's nothing to serious it sounds like it might just need a good clean and greased up.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 03 2013, 17:50

stu, I got the garage that did my MOT to do the rear breaks as I need the van every day . that way I could drive it to the garage and walk to work while they sorted it for me and do the 're test . In the end it needed set of shoes and 2 new cylinders and a handbrake cable. Sad something that could done myself but I needed it asap. and can't use workshop for our own use Mad Plus I didn't fancy doing at home on drive in dark. Was just under £200 ,so not that bad.

Matt

ps if you think my spelling or grammar is better it's because I got a smartphone now and on forum on phone Laughing Looks like up be on here on my breaks at work lol!
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Jan 03 2013, 18:10

The rear show came off inside the drum on my van just before xmas and wedged - i was just about able to get to the garrage, it was a right job to get the drum off - just glad it never went on the motorway.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 12:57

Matt I'm trying to move the aniversary for my MOT so it's when the better weather is here. I messed up big time last year and ended up with no MOT on the van or my car so it was a big rush to get them sorted, luck the van only failed on a stop light bulb which I'd looked at the day before as it wasn't making a good contact but it must have blown getting there. So now I've both the car and van due in March LOL so I'll move the van back another month this year.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Jan 04 2013, 23:34

i should do that i guess the tax falls in this month too ... more expense Crying or Very sad

Getting back to howler i have assembled the trolley well adapted it lets say from a old trolley fitted spreader planks and oiler with 3 coats of finishing oil . Looks nice Smile

but some numpty put the planks on upside down , so the holes are not in the right place and a few swear words came out ... Oh il have to fill them in with some sawdust and wood shavings and re drill the holes . Just because the engine is offset and got it not central on the trolley due to the crankshaft on starting side and not keen to bashing hand on trolley when cranking her over ... Laughing

Pictures to follow

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05 2013, 12:41

lol! lol! lol! You silly buggar Matt lol! lol! lol! never mind it's something we all do but such a shame after all the work you've put into it. I Just hope the marks left by the hole filling doesn't look to bad.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 05 2013, 12:44

The trolley is a rather rustic one anyway as a bit battered around the edges anyway and has some dowls covering up screw holes anyway lol .

Probably wont make a difference anyway

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05 2013, 12:53

That's not to bad then Matt I thought it was one you'd made using good hard wood.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 05 2013, 13:42

stationary stu wrote:That's not to bad then Matt I thought it was one you'd made using good hard wood.

Stu.

Yeah it is hardwood , il take some pictures later .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamfordlad Sat Jan 05 2013, 17:04

matt86 wrote:Had some camshaft bearings made and a new big end made from bronze . so decided to get it all together and the big end shimmed correctly so not too tight or too loose .

Just noticed the bit about a Bronze Big End, is it Phospher or Leaded Bronze. If he latter you just may get away without it damaging the crank, if its the former then the crank will get damaged (pick up on the bearing). As far as I am aware the crank on a Fowler is not hardened and will not last long. They used white metal as it is softer and will not damage a non hardened crank.

Just my thoughts.

Bamfordlad
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 05 2013, 17:47

Ah hello stranger ....

I did not make the big end way beyond my capabilities , a friend did and i was told it was not plain bronze its quite soft itself have a fealing its leaded bronze ...

I think i will get away from that . But i will check after half hour ish of running when its finally all together , failing that i will have to get a white metal one made up .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 05 2013, 21:50

Been doing a bit more tonight in the shed .

Flywheel has been placed back on for the moment , leaving as it is until the weather is a tad warmer to paint it ... and the valve tappet block on the right way according to Fowlerfan Embarassed Laughing Laughing

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 005_zpsb5c9f48b

The trolley finished and engine placed on , just need another coach bolt and think il leave the holes might make look worse if fill them in . Im quite like the oiled look , but now and then you have to give it another wipe over .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 001_zps6126d967

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 002_zps0edc5664

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 003_zpsdc3c34a1

Really brings the grain out in the Iroko too .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 007_zpsbc466b90

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 009_zpsfae8e541

Thick i need to make a verry thick gasket for the crankcase breather plate as the plate is warped and being Mazzak if tighten down it will break !
nothing i would really use at home for it Rolling Eyes For those who know fowler who ever made uj for 1/2 sockets is a godsend a tad awkward to get to with just a straight extension .

Been having problems with the solex carb and tried to helicoil the stripped threads upon doing that the carb bowl started to crumble and crack ...Yet again its Mazzak i do believe Rolling Eyes

so i have decided to do a Lister D conversion .

Been told you need to enlarge the holes for the carb to fit .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 010_zps21367f80

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 011_zps5a79547c
standard Lister D carb body on the right .notice the size of enlargement .

watch this space , Matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamfordlad Sat Jan 05 2013, 22:12

Another float bowl should be east to get hold off, it is the top part that is the difficult bit.

As you mentioned the tappet block, don't forget to wire lock the 2off holding bolts to stop them coming loose.

Bamfordlad
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Jan 05 2013, 22:18

Bamfordlad wrote:Another float bowl should be east to get hold off, it is the top part that is the difficult bit.

As you mentioned the tappet block, don't forget to wire lock the 2off holding bolts to stop them coming loose.

I will be doing that , has just used some loctite on it for now . Need to get some locking wire . Do i actually need the locking wire pliers or can be done without them ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 13:06

I've always just used normal pliers when using locking wire, just make sure you have the wire locked so the nut can't move say half a turn before the wire stops it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 06 2013, 13:38

Thanks for that stu , i have ordered some wire , just need to wait for it to turn up . cant really put much on till that turns up now . Once all locked up i can place the guvnor housing on and get the mag on etc and the light will be at the end of the tunnel . Very Happy

i do have to wonder about the head gasket though ... its a copper one with a composite material on inside .wasn't damaged so i decided to use it again .

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 10 2013, 15:16

a bit of an update, the locking wire has turned up in the post. so later I can get the valve clearances set and lick the bolts in place, Then can start assembling the guvnor side of things, already made a gasket so should just put it straight on. Just a bit of painting to do on the tank straps while waiting for some cork to turn up to go underneath the straps.

Il get some pictures later.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Jan 10 2013, 15:24

matt86 wrote:a bit of an update, the locking wire has turned up in the post. so later I can get the valve clearances set and lick the bolts in place, Then can start assembling the guvnor side of things, already made a gasket so should just put it straight on. Just a bit of painting to do on the tank straps while waiting for some cork to turn up to go underneath the straps.

Il get some pictures later.

Matt

Paint the tank straps red Very Happy jocolor

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 10 2013, 16:47

Too late there already GREEN ! geek

just need to paint the last coat , and bake it on with the gas heater . Bloody electric heater 2nd time used it was piff and blew all the trips in the house ! grrr cheap rubbish !

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11 2013, 12:30

matt86 wrote:Too late there already GREEN ! geek

just need to paint the last coat , and bake it on with the gas heater . Bloody electric heater 2nd time used it was piff and blew all the trips in the house ! grrr cheap rubbish !

matt

Matt I don't think it will be the heaters fault as at present we are getting a lot of sub standard electricity supplied to us from Polland, you'll find once the Spring comes it will be fine.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jan 13 2013, 20:35

Stu just seem odd why when i switched the heater on blew the trip and now it doesnt work .... but have had the welder plugged in and is fine ... Rolling Eyes

Getting back to the fowler , not much been done over the weekend , waiting to get some more washes as i have run out of 5 /16 flats .

but done a few small jobs ...

valve clearences set and locking wire all tied up

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 001_zps0433895a

and got the crankcase cover on with a new gasket .

yet another rusty lump !  Fowler 1pa restoration . - Page 4 003_zpsef793682

Thats about it , well do the new paint on the straps good and give chance to harden off . but have started to gather the parts to fabricate a exhaust silencer . anyone knowing the fowler fish tail types they are not like a common lister D . But for the 1st run have a feeling it just be a pipe from the flange .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Jan 13 2013, 23:54

looking good Matt Smile

re your heater, it sound like the element went to ground, bring it down when i see you, will do a couple of measurements on it too give you more ammo if you take it back Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 14 2013, 07:09

Thanks for the offer Andy but it's already been sent back to where it came from..

back to using gas at moment

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Mon Jan 14 2013, 13:06

Hi Matt,

Remind me, did I send you over a drawing of the exhaust ? Let me know....losing track of things !
Cheers
Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next