www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

JAP Engine

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JAP Engine

Post by alanjohnlew on Sat Jan 07 2012, 18:24

I have just purchased what I believe to be a JAP 4/3. Unfortunately someone has attacked it with a tar brush and Hammerite. Can anyone tell me where to scrape to find the serial no.?

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

JAP Engine

Post by bencam43 on Sat Jan 07 2012, 20:52

If you look on the side of the crankcase where it meets the cylinder barrel you should see a series of numbers and letters then go to the dating thread and it will explain how to date your engine.
Cheers Bill

bencam43
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Re: JAP Engine

Post by RAB on Sun Jan 08 2012, 09:48

Heres a link to the place for Jap dating,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope thats of use

Paul

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by alanjohnlew on Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:27

Well thanks so far chaps. The no. is 4/3/N/1063/7 which makes it a 4/3 from 1941. The /7 indicates a deviation from std spec. The engine has what might be a reduction gearbox fitted onto the end of the crankshaft, three revolutions of the starting handle = one revolution of the pulley. I bought the engine from a man in Brixham who said his son came home with it 10 years ago having pushed it home all the way from the harbour (about a mile up a very steep hill). I assume the engine was plastered in its' awful Hammerite coat as it was being used either on board a fishing boat or at the harbour to prevent corrosion. If I can work out how to I will post some photos on the projects page.

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by RAB on Mon Jan 09 2012, 11:06

Hi Alan, ( I take it thats your name)

Follow the steps in the link below on how to up load photos:-

All the best

Paul

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Jan 09 2012, 11:09

I know you say it's been painted with a yard brush with god knows what but on the positive side it looks as if this saved it from rusting away, so not all bad.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]                [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Mon Jan 09 2012, 16:38

alanjohnlew wrote:Well thanks so far chaps. The no. is 4/3/N/1063/7 which makes it a 4/3 from 1941. The /7 indicates a deviation from std spec. The engine has what might be a reduction gearbox fitted onto the end of the crankshaft, three revolutions of the starting handle = one revolution of the pulley. I bought the engine from a man in Brixham who said his son came home with it 10 years ago having pushed it home all the way from the harbour (about a mile up a very steep hill). I assume the engine was plastered in its' awful Hammerite coat as it was being used either on board a fishing boat or at the harbour to prevent corrosion. If I can work out how to I will post some photos on the projects page.

hi Alan...we look forward to seeing them..
regards..mike..

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Tue Jan 10 2012, 12:13

The JAP engine dating guide is a little confusing (mind you, the television guide pages are confusing to me) My JAP has the serial number 2A.I.83794.S. Now, I understand that it is a 2A model, if I assume that the next letter is an i rather than a one, ignoring the presumed misprint in the chart, would I be right in thinking that my engine is a 1947 and is a short stroke sports or special?

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Tue Jan 10 2012, 22:26

DanBoy wrote:The JAP engine dating guide is a little confusing (mind you, the television guide pages are confusing to me) My JAP has the serial number 2A.I.83794.S. Now, I understand that it is a 2A model, if I assume that the next letter is an i rather than a one, ignoring the presumed misprint in the chart, would I be right in thinking that my engine is a 1947 and is a short stroke sports or special?

it is normally classed as a short stroke 150cc or175cc of memory when i was dating mine last year
is yours with the 2 or 4 pole/ contact ignition sytstem the 4 pole ones feel like they are seizing up jump and judder as u pull them over
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Wed Jan 11 2012, 08:56

kevjhnsn wrote:

it is normally classed as a short stroke 150cc or175cc of memory when i was dating mine last year
is yours with the 2 or 4 pole/ contact ignition sytstem the 4 pole ones feel like they are seizing up jump and judder as u pull them over
kev

Mines the 98cc engine. I'll let you know about the ignition once I get the flywheel off to replace the broken HT Lead Sad

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Thu Jan 12 2012, 04:41

hi there
watch out with the soldering to the coil try to leave 1/2" of the wire still atached if you can and solder to that its out of sight and insulation tape work a treat if needed as some times the heat will break the coil down and not work after words
if your looky it might be the later bolt on cable
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Thu Jan 12 2012, 04:44

DanBoy wrote:
kevjhnsn wrote:

kev

Mines the 98cc engine. I'll let you know about the ignition once I get the flywheel off to replace the broken HT Lead Sad
sorry dan
mind fail lol
im working on villiers 150 175 and 256cc at the minute
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Thu Jan 12 2012, 05:00

this is a standard 2a 1947 of memory as it is stamped on the inside of the little carb side cowling on bolth my 2s

and my propane jap 2a/s 1952
with the 4 pole electrics you can here them over the engine whearring a way

thanks kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Thu Jan 12 2012, 09:40

Is that the original tank on the 1947 2A as mine has a round one rather than an oval ?

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12 2012, 10:58

kevjhnsn wrote:
kev

I dont think the CC/engine type codes match up to the later industrial engines, more applicable to the Motorcycles.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Thu Jan 12 2012, 14:46

DanBoy wrote:Is that the original tank on the 1947 2A as mine has a round one rather than an oval ?
no its a testing tank
sits on most of my engines before tanks and pipes are cleaned or repaired
the round tank needs the tap sleave soldering back in the tank
thanks kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Thu Jan 12 2012, 15:32

kevjhnsn wrote:hi there
watch out with the soldering to the coil try to leave 1/2" of the wire still atached if you can and solder to that its out of sight and insulation tape work a treat if needed as some times the heat will break the coil down and not work after words
if your looky it might be the later bolt on cable
kev

It is the soldered type so I've tried a little method I spotted on You Tube here youtube.com/watch?v=gvqJGNmIIeE
(you'll have to put the http and the www in front as I'm not allowed. It's a get around until I can post links next week. sorry)

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Fri Jan 13 2012, 10:44

This the link ?

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]     [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]                [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Fri Jan 13 2012, 12:36

Thanks Stu. A couple of days and I'l be able to put them on myself. cheers

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Fri Jan 13 2012, 21:48

DanBoy wrote:Thanks Stu. A couple of days and I'l be able to put them on myself. cheers

hi dan
weve all been there with the posting thing
but i helps to keep the spam and junk mail of here
you will soon be blasting links and videos on here
yes its the soldering type
ive done a few before and seams on wx11 tanks are a nightmare to do
i will watch the link shortly as theres aways a way youve wished you trying but didnt think of before lol
thanks kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alanjohnlew on Sat Jan 14 2012, 17:38

Photos of JAP 4/3 below

Last edited by alanjohnlew on Sun Jan 15 2012, 14:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo not necessary, taking up space)

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by alanjohnlew on Sat Jan 14 2012, 17:41

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Close up of number

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by alanjohnlew on Sat Jan 14 2012, 17:44

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another general view

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by alanjohnlew on Tue Jan 17 2012, 12:11

I've just acquired a second engine for spares. The first had a dented tank and the glass bowl on the fuel tap was missing its' clip. However, the number of this one totally confuses me. It is E30/15/01/24012. This second one doesn't have JAP cast in the crankcase either. Any ideas?

Just had a thought, is this a JAP 4/3 made by Villiers?

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by alanjohnlew on Tue Jan 17 2012, 17:07

Close up of no. of engine no.2[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

alanjohnlew
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 02:03

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top