www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Update on the B&S Generator

3 posters

Go down

Update on the B&S Generator Empty Update on the B&S Generator

Post by DanBoy Sat Jan 21 2012, 11:31

Just to update you all on the Briggs generator which I have been having a bit of a go at this week.
Started out with this
Update on the B&S Generator Bsgene12

Stripped to this
Update on the B&S Generator Bild0914

Cleaned up the base and the tinware
Update on the B&S Generator Bild0915
Update on the B&S Generator Bild0916

A bit of John Deere paint for colour and she's coming together.
Update on the B&S Generator Bild0917

I am going to try to use the original tank and I have drilled out the wierd brass petrol tap which was preventing any flow and I'll probably give the inside a flush with caustic soda.
Not too sure about the John Deere green as it is a bit bright and I might repaint with the Lawn Green that I used for touching up the block. (after the last pic was taken)

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Update on the B&S Generator Empty Re: Update on the B&S Generator

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 11:26

Looking good, nice to see someone busy in there shed. Keep us updated on it's rebuild.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Tue Jan 24 2012, 10:38

Repainted the generator end darker green but left the fan shroud. I have tried flushing out the tank numerous times, including using nuts and bolts but it remains full of cr*p so I have decided to use the tank off the JAP which was gold but is now green. Just waiting for some stainless steel bolts to fit the tank. Meanwhile, I have started stripping down the other JAP 2A and started to strip the paint off the tinware. I have repaired the HT lead and got a nice fat spark and I have replaced the pull-cord pulley as the one on it had been attacked with a chisel, obviously someone trying to remove the flywheel to fix the HT lead. Haven't picked a colour for this one yet. It came in a Hammerite red which had been applied with a yard brush and as I'm stripping it off it appears that it was originally the light metallic blue colour. It will probably end up John Deere Green as I have a full tin of paint. Rolling Eyes

Update on the B&S Generator Bild0918

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Tue Jan 24 2012, 16:45

Hi Dan, please excuse my ignorance, are Briggs and Stratton engines considered collectable ?

i didn't realize they were that old? iv'e only been into engines for a few months but don't think iv'e seen one on a rally field.

as i say i don't mean any offense I'm just curious...........
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Tue Jan 24 2012, 19:40

There are some people that don't like Briggs & Stratton engines. Some because they are American and some because they still make them today. My generator is a U.S. Army set from 1942 (World War 2) My two ZZ's are from 1943 & 1949 respectively. I would say that that puts them on a par with the Lister's and Petter's out there. My Lister domestic pump has been fitted with a 1970's B&S four stroke, probably because, at the time, they were a cheap and reliable engine. B&S engines are nowadays fitted to all sorts from lawn mowers to pressure washers to water and trash pumps. They are also used for powering go carts in America. Briggs & Stratton even have their own racing division. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines-racing/
Here's a couple of buggies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0rQJevlpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfuDS__P-eI&feature=related

So you see. Each to their own. And no, I am not in the slightest bit offended. I'm glad you asked. As for not seeing any on the rally fields ? Look out for me at a venue this year. I'll be the one with all the Briggs & Stratton's and a big smile on my face. cheers

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Jan 24 2012, 19:44

hob wrote:Hi Dan, please excuse my ignorance, are Briggs and Stratton engines considered collectable ?

i didn't realize they were that old? iv'e only been into engines for a few months but don't think iv'e seen one on a rally field.

as i say i don't mean any offense I'm just curious...........

Well I collect them! Wink The newest one of mine is from 1944. Most of the 'cast iron' ones date from the 1930's/40's so they are a lot older than things like Wolseley WD 2's and most of the Ruston PT's and Lister D types. The model I or N which that generator is based on was actually the forerunner of the Suffolk mower engine, it is the later Briggs stuff from the 60's onwards that was built as a throwaway item. Some rallies dont welcome them, but I have seen several at Lincoln Steam Rally and other large events, after all Petter A types are allowed as are JAP's and Villiers etc. As long as they are running something fitting then I cant see a problem.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Tue Jan 24 2012, 20:04

thanks for the info guys ...........i find some info via google to another forum where some guy calls himself "antibriggsandstratton" i'm not a member there but he seems to have a lot of posts...... my first impression was his name distorts the forum to those of us with poor eyesight who need to have resolution of 800 x 600 to be able to read the text.................. ]

i have seen them at go cart races

Dan i don't think i live near enough to see you on a rally field but you never know Very Happy
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 11:07

Neville I was under the same impression as you that B&S were a newish engine I got one myself in a job lot buy. I just put it at the back of the garage and thought I'll leave it till it was older, I never checked it out fully to see what it is or what year but I may now have another look at it and see what it is, all I do know is it came of a bale lifter.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Fri Jan 27 2012, 11:44

Well I finally repainted the tank off trhe JAP and fitted it to the B&S Generator set. Everything is back together now. I am just waiting for a couple of petrol pipe clips then I can drop in some fuel and, hopefully, fire her up. In the meantime, I'm painting the JAP 2a, photo's of which I'll post at a later date.

Update on the B&S Generator Bsgen210

Update on the B&S Generator Bsgen310

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28 2012, 11:48

Looking good Dan keep up the good work.#

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Thu Feb 23 2012, 16:55

Repainted the John Deere green to Mid-Brunswick so it now all looks the same colour. Whipped the head off to check the internals and everything looks good. Smile No scoring in the bore, no play in the piston and the valves are moving and sealing exactly as trhey should. Cleaned a bit of carbon off the head and put it back together. Bodes well for a good start up!

Update on the B&S Generator Bild0929

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 11:26

Keep up the good work Dan.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content