www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lighting Display

+5
JONESEY
mike d
matt86
Diddy
Abes
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Lighting Display - Page 2 Empty Re: Lighting Display

Post by Abes Sat Mar 03 2012, 18:20

Well managed to get a bit more on it done today so here's some updated pics, nothing is fixed in place yet and it still needs the gear box and a good couple of coats of varnish but were getting there

Lighting Display - Page 2 P3030010
Lighting Display - Page 2 P3030011
Lighting Display - Page 2 P3030012

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Mar 03 2012, 18:24

Thats looking fantastic abes , will looks the dogs nuts once all finished

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Sat Mar 03 2012, 18:45

And I'll have a couple of shots from the end optic mate............ Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Mar 03 2012, 18:55

LOL thats why i dont get much work done

DanBoy wrote:And I'll have a couple of shots from the end optic mate............ Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sat Mar 03 2012, 23:20

Looking good
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 11:43

Cracking job Abes, keep us updated on your progress as it's going to look great when finished.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 13:08

Cheers mate will do, next job is to fit the gear box underneath, does anyone know if it matters if these little Jap generators run clockwise or anticlockwise, its running clockwise at the moment but once the gear box is fitted it will reverse the rotation now i know i can just put a twist in the v belt but would prefer not too, any help much appriciated

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 18:52

Few more pics of some progress today, managed to clean and polish the brass and paint the gear box and get that in position also managed to make a start on the varnishing

Lighting Display - Page 2 P3040010
Lighting Display - Page 2 P3040011
Lighting Display - Page 2 P3040012

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:24

Thats looking fab abes what type of varnish do you use i love the colour of it .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:35

Cheers Matt, not sure what make of varnish it is though it is a marine one will check later and let you know, still need to source 2 x 3" v belt pulleys then its just a case of finish the varnishing and put it all together and the job will be a goodun

matt86_wd2 wrote:Thats looking fab abes what type of varnish do you use i love the colour of it .

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:49

Abes wrote:Cheers Matt, not sure what make of varnish it is though it is a marine one will check later and let you know, still need to source 2 x 3" v belt pulleys then its just a case of finish the varnishing and put it all together and the job will be a goodun

matt86_wd2 wrote:Thats looking fab abes what type of varnish do you use i love the colour of it .

matt

abes try bearing boys .... google it mate .

Oh im thinking to come down south the weekend of 24th .... anytime after 13.00 suit you ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:02

Abes wrote:Cheers mate will do, next job is to fit the gear box underneath, does anyone know if it matters if these little Jap generators run clockwise or anticlockwise, its running clockwise at the moment but once the gear box is fitted it will reverse the rotation now i know i can just put a twist in the v belt but would prefer not too, any help much appriciated

Not certain Abes, I know that vehicle dynamos can run both ways when new but when worn the brushes get 'shaped' in the direction of rotation. You might have to turn them around so that they are running the same way again or the sharp unworn edges can snag the armature segment's?

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:06

Yer tried the bearing boys had none in the size i need ie 3" with a bore of 3/4", ref the weekend would that be the Saturday or the Sunday your thinking of

matt86_wd2 wrote:
Abes wrote:Cheers Matt, not sure what make of varnish it is though it is a marine one will check later and let you know, still need to source 2 x 3" v belt pulleys then its just a case of finish the varnishing and put it all together and the job will be a goodun

matt

Oh im thinking to come down south the weekend of 24th .... anytime after 13.00 suit you ?

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:11

Cheers for the info mate ive put a new set of brushes in and so far they've had very little use so would i still need to turn them round

Foden wrote:
Abes wrote:Cheers mate will do, next job is to fit the gear box underneath, does anyone know if it matters if these little Jap generators run clockwise or anticlockwise, its running clockwise at the moment but once the gear box is fitted it will reverse the rotation now i know i can just put a twist in the v belt but would prefer not too, any help much appriciated

Not certain Abes, I know that vehicle dynamos can run both ways when new but when worn the brushes get 'shaped' in the direction of rotation. You might have to turn them around so that they are running the same way again or the sharp unworn edges can snag the armature segment's?

Pete.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:15

If you have renewed them then you should be ok. You will just have to connect everything up and try it rotation wise, wouldn't think that it should cause any problem.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:19

nearest i can find on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-3-3-8-V-PULLEY-3-4-bore-V-BELTS-/290460130813?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item43a0c5ddfd
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:27

Cheers Pete thats great, hopefully thats one less thing to worry about then

Foden wrote:If you have renewed them then you should be ok. You will just have to connect everything up and try it rotation wise, wouldn't think that it should cause any problem.

Pete.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:32

Cheers for tracking them down for me much appriciated was hoping to pay a little less than that but if i cant source cheaper then these would fit the bill great

hob wrote:nearest i can find on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-3-3-8-V-PULLEY-3-4-bore-V-BELTS-/290460130813?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item43a0c5ddfd

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Mar 05 2012, 17:06

Abes wrote:Yer tried the bearing boys had none in the size i need ie 3" with a bore of 3/4", ref the weekend would that be the Saturday or the Sunday your thinking of

matt86_wd2 wrote:

matt

sat abes ... il give you a ring regarding pully mate i mite be able to get you from a place we deal with at work ..

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 06 2012, 11:30

I had a supplier of pullies etc but can't find it now (always the case) I had a look in the suppliers thread on the forum but it's not there if I find it again soon I'll let you know Abes.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Mar 06 2012, 18:45

Cheers mate many thanks

stationary stu wrote:I had a supplier of pullies etc but can't find it now (always the case) I had a look in the suppliers thread on the forum but it's not there if I find it again soon I'll let you know Abes.

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddy Wed Mar 07 2012, 00:36

abes.can you do a step by step guid.on how you do the stove blacking bit on your engines & does water oil & petrol efect it in any way.
dave.
Diddy
Diddy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Mar 07 2012, 19:23

Not a problem mate but ill do it as a seperate thread, wont get a chance tonight but will do it at the weekend

Diddy wrote:abes.can you do a step by step guid.on how you do the stove blacking bit on your engines & does water oil & petrol efect it in any way.
dave.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Mar 07 2012, 19:34

Quick update managed to get a bit more done over the last couple of nights, have managed to source a couple of bakerlite switches so the box has now been wired up and checked using a 12volt battery i have, not too bright due to the bulbs being 20volt but only used just to prove everything worked ok, was suprised everything worked as crap with electrics lol, have also black top coated the uprights have given the feet and box a second coat of varnish and also done the underneath of the main bed just the sides and top left to do, pics below

Lighting Display - Page 2 P3070010
Lighting Display - Page 2 P3070011
Lighting Display - Page 2 P3070012

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddy Wed Mar 07 2012, 22:46

now that is looking good.keep up the good work & more pics as well.
Diddy
Diddy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next