www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston Hornsby AP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ruston Hornsby AP

Post by RAB on Thu Sep 17 2009, 04:36

details to follow

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Ruston Hornsby AP

Post by Lister John on Sun Sep 20 2009, 20:59

Ruston & Hornsby 6AP, 6HP, Agricultural Parafin.

Thats all I know about it,

Lister John
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY on Sun Sep 20 2009, 21:08

What the hell it looks a nice looking engine Smile
Chris

JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Thu Sep 24 2009, 19:12

THAT IS A VERY NICE ENGINE
ITS NICE TO SEE LARGE ENGINES LOOKING THAT GOOD

MIKE

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett on Thu Dec 10 2009, 19:27

lovely engines, i have a 4 bhp one. starts eaiser that a lister D (if u used half compresion cam)

jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

it is a stunner

Post by RAB on Thu Dec 10 2009, 19:39

im always dribbiling on the rally field when i see it, its stunning Very Happy

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ruston Hornsby AP's

Post by SmokeyJoe on Fri Dec 11 2009, 23:07

I have attached some photos of APs attending my Dad's birthday crank up. Mine is the 2nd photo.

SmokeyJoe
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

heres mine.

Post by jamespeterbrett on Fri Dec 11 2009, 23:45

I’d love to see my engine featured, as it doesn’t get to many rallies any more, cos every rally I go to now seems to prefer me to take my steam engine.

It is a 1930 Ruston and Hornsby AP 4BHP '470 RPM.

It left Ruston's Lincoln work on 29th Oct 1930 and was supplied to P Rand, main Ruston Hornsby Agents Suffolk, located Weathermen, near Bury saint Edmunds, Suffolk, and was supplied with an ERF Turner (Ipswich) roller corn mill, to My Wilfred Clover, of Drinkstone Smock Mill.

was used every day from Nov 1930 until 1960, when the mill was converted to Electric power. But was kept for stand by duties until 1962. Mr. A Hewlett purchased the engine 1963 and restored it. Purchased 43 years later by current owner Mr. James Peter Brett, who has made a brass slipper for the magneto flick arm, and very little else, as the engine is as good as the day it left Lincoln.

Is seen regularly at the Langley Daffodil Day (Norwich) and Raveningham Country Fair (Beccles Suffolk)

one of the last AP's made, as within a short time, the PB's were the preferred model of engine, also comes with white metal bearings through out and the central fugal oil fliger is aluminum.

Last edited by jamespeterbrett on Sat Dec 12 2009, 11:44; edited 1 time in total

jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

lovely photos smokey

Post by RAB on Sat Dec 12 2009, 03:51

do you mind if i cut some and feture them in forum photos, and james feel free to post a photo of yours in one of the sections and it will be fetured, thanks chaps cheers

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett on Sat Dec 12 2009, 11:40

ryan wrote:do you mind if i cut some and feture them in forum photos, and james feel free to post a photo of yours in one of the sections and it will be fetured, thanks chaps cheers

im not sure how to?

jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokeyJoe on Mon Dec 14 2009, 21:53

Ryan that will be fine

SmokeyJoe
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

hi james

Post by RAB on Tue Dec 15 2009, 04:31

jamespeterbrett wrote:
ryan wrote:do you mind if i cut some and feture them in forum photos, and james feel free to post a photo of yours in one of the sections and it will be fetured, thanks chaps cheers

im not sure how to?

follow this link for instructions, if you need any further help, dont hesitate to ask Very Happy

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett on Tue Dec 15 2009, 10:45

ryan wrote:

follow this link for instructions, if you need any further help, dont hesitate to ask Very Happy
i may be thick, but what link?

jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

sorry james try this one

Post by RAB on Tue Dec 15 2009, 12:39

RAB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jamespeterbrett on Tue Dec 15 2009, 14:00

jamespeterbrett
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Ruston & Hornsby AP

Post by red devil on Sun Sep 19 2010, 16:35

This is my AP, a 4hp version restored 10 years ago and still looking great. It was delivered to agent Isiah Grasby's Barton on Humber workshop in November 1926 and was later sold on to Greenwoods a London based company who operated a tile works at the nearby village of Barrow on Humber. As far as I know it was used to pump water out of the clay workings for most of it's working life. The tileworks closed down in the late 1960's and by this time the usual lack of maintenance had resulted in a wrecked engine, it was rescued by the owner of Bartons only engineering works who regularly repaired the tile works machines and narrow gauge railway loco's. By this time vandals had had a go at the AP removing the brassware,fuel tank, magneto and had attacked the hopper top and con-rod with a hammer, the final blow came as it was being moved back to the shop when one of the fork lift tines hit the side shaft near the governor housing bending the shaft over to around 30 degrees out of line!!
It lay in the shop for many years until I heard about it in 2000 when I purchased it straight away. Ahead lay many months of restoration including several jobs which were way out of my league, for example, the hopper was half full of solid limescale(how the engine ran without any cooling water I really don't know), this resulted in a liner which was full of holes! The old one was pushed out using a hydraulic press which had to be loaded to 25 tons before the liner began to move with a resounding bang! A new liner was made from a large piece of meehanite cast iron and was machined to fit a newly bored out hole in the base and the piston which was slightly oval, was skimmed to suit the new bore with new rings filed to suit.
The hopper top was rebuilt using plastic metal and has over the years been virtually as good as the original casting. The con-rod was straightened out using a bit of heat and a hide hammer, however the side shaft took a great deal of work to sort out, thankfully the shaft bracket and governor housing were not broken and eventually I was able to get it running virtually true.
The missing fuel tank, tap and oilers were all supplied by Frank Gelder of Howden in Yorkshire and he also rolled the beads in the remade crank guard. Some of the smaller parts which needed replacing included new cam followers and a brass carb top. Finally a replacement magneto was found and the engine has for the last 10 years run like a sewing machine and brings a smile to my face every time I start it, I reckon it's good for at least another 80 years!!

red devil
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d on Sun Sep 19 2010, 21:02

HI...sorry don't know your surname..

that is a cracking engine indeed...

you should be very proud of it....its a show winner for shore..

well done,keep up the good work....

regards.....mike..

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Ruston AP

Post by red devil on Tue Sep 21 2010, 19:12

Thanks very much for your comments Mike. There is no doubt that restoring and running the AP has brought me a great deal of satisfaction over the years, but this would not be possible if R&H had not designed such a nice looking and well built engine in the first place.
When I became interested in stationary engines 20 years ago I always wanted an AP, I'm so pleased one eventually came my way.
Frank.

red devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 02:26

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top