www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Scott PAB Restoration

+8
JONESEY
Diddy
kevjhnsn
mike d
YorkshireChugger
matt86
Foden
Abes
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 Empty Re: Scott PAB Restoration

Post by mike d Mon Mar 26 2012, 01:05

abes it coming along nicely mate..
nice to see you have a proper drill under your bench...
i have one the same and what a cracker it is to...
keep up the good work mate..

grumpy...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon Mar 26 2012, 21:27

LOL no need to mate as you can see from last but one pic have now got pulley and flywheel off ended up spot welding them to stop them turning.
Made a start on the main engine block tonight god there's a few years of oil and crap ground into it so looks like its going to take a couple of evenings to sort

matt86_wd2 wrote:Abes looking a bit better since was down yesterday .

Regarding the nuts i would try and split the castle nuts if you can .

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Tue Mar 27 2012, 00:01

a mane of your means will sort it mate..

oh yes i saw your bosses lorry (green cargo) to day with what looked like on of those auto truck type things on the back???? has he been off spending more money mate..lol.lol...

mike...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 12:03

I wish people would stop talking about Sturt engines as I'm starting to like them too much, even checking them out on ebay for prices, now this could get expensive for me.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Mar 27 2012, 19:56

LOL if your after a Stuart mate ive got a nice little P5m that might be up for grabs

stationary stu wrote:I wish people would stop talking about Sturt engines as I'm starting to like them too much, even checking them out on ebay for prices, now this could get expensive for me.

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Mar 27 2012, 20:03

LOL now thats a good story, Graham just bought it off the boss he has had it stuck down the bottom of his garden for the last 4 yrs. we keep ribbing Graham that its an old mobility scooter and that his only got it to take his other half down to Iceland, its a non runner but not a bad little thing its got 4 speed gear box and what looks like a Honda engine (not orignal) and a nice little tipper back, will make for a nice little project

mike d (Mr grumpy) wrote:a mane of your means will sort it mate..

oh yes i saw your bosses lorry (green cargo) to day with what looked like on of those auto truck type things on the back???? has he been off spending more money mate..lol.lol...

mike...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Mar 27 2012, 20:33

Managed to get the main block nearly finished, all cleaning done just the fins to spray with heat resistant black and the jobs a goodun

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3270010
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3270011
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3270012

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28 2012, 11:56

Abes wrote:LOL if your after a Stuart mate ive got a nice little P5m that might be up for grabs

stationary stu wrote:I wish people would stop talking about Sturt engines as I'm starting to like them too much, even checking them out on ebay for prices, now this could get expensive for me.

Stu.

Thanks for the offer Abes but I need to sell some engines before I buy anything else, her-in-doors says so. Crying or Very sad

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Mar 28 2012, 19:51

I sold my P5M last year for £25 which was perhaps too cheap, I have seen those 'torpedo' fuel tanks make more than that, but space was needed and it would have been a long while before I got round to sorting it. I went to college next to the Stuart factory in Henley during the 1960's and liked looking in their window at all the green and brass machinery.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Mar 28 2012, 20:13

LOL tell you what mate wont be selling it for 25 quid it will stay in the shed first, as you say they have one hell of a lot of brass on them, not to everyones taste but a nice little engine all the same, there's a pic of mine somewhere on here if you want a gander

Foden wrote:I sold my P5M last year for £25 which was perhaps too cheap, I have seen those 'torpedo' fuel tanks make more than that, but space was needed and it would have been a long while before I got round to sorting it. I went to college next to the Stuart factory in Henley during the 1960's and liked looking in their window at all the green and brass machinery.

Pete.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29 2012, 11:24

Foden wrote:I sold my P5M last year for £25 which was perhaps too cheap, I have seen those 'torpedo' fuel tanks make more than that, but space was needed and it would have been a long while before I got round to sorting it. I went to college next to the Stuart factory in Henley during the 1960's and liked looking in their window at all the green and brass machinery.

Pete.

In the 60's was it all marine engines that they were making then Pete? That would be the late 60s pete?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Mar 29 2012, 17:38

stationary stu wrote:

In the 60's was it all marine engines that they were making then Pete? That would be the late 60s pete?

Stu.

Yes Stu, mainly marine engines and water pumps, I was there in 1967/68. They also cast most of the cast iron bodies for vacuum pumps sold by Fullwood and Gascoigne etc as those companies didn't have their own foundries, and were partly responsible for designing the vacuum pulsator system used on milking machines among other things.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:32

Another quick update, all cleaning and stripping now completed, last bits to get the cleaning treatment was the carb and the feet, exhaust system and head have now had 3 coats of high temp black and the feet have had 3 coats of gloss black, just need to get the Scott purple to get the rest of the stuff painted, pics below

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3310010
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3310012
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3310013
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3310014
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3310015
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P3310016

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Mar 31 2012, 19:04

Abes your doing a grand job feller Smile

how did you manage to get the nuts off that held the flywheel on ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Mar 31 2012, 19:15

Spot welded in the end mate then once off just ground off the weld, the main shaft nut had been mullered by a previous owner so also gave me a chance to clean up the faces on that too

matt86_wd2 wrote:Abes your doing a grand job feller Smile

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Mar 31 2012, 19:22

Abes wrote:Spot welded in the end mate then once off just ground off the weld, the main shaft nut had been mullered by a previous owner so also gave me a chance to clean up the faces on that too

matt86_wd2 wrote:Abes your doing a grand job feller Smile

matt

i thought that would be the best idea mate .

will you be taking it out for a trip this year ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Mar 31 2012, 19:45

Id like too will have to see how the job progresses

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01 2012, 11:59

Looking good Abes, Scott engines look to be a good bit of engineer has gone into them, are they easy to work of or all a bit of a fiddle.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Apr 01 2012, 15:12

Cheers mate, if anything over engineered but a nice bit of work all the same, been quite easy to work on so far though i had no need to strip down the engine at this time, spending today painting and making the skids will put some pics up later

stationary stu wrote:Looking good Abes, Scott engines look to be a good bit of engineer has gone into them, are they easy to work of or all a bit of a fiddle.

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Apr 01 2012, 16:06

keep it up abes
shes getting there and quickly too
over engineered and built to last i say its the best way
looking good mate
cant wait for the finished product and a video will be nice to
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Apr 01 2012, 20:01

Well as promised here's some pics of todays efforts, after doing some homework on paint colour decided on "Ford dark aubergine" managed to get some from Halfords they only had a couple of tins so bought them both will still need another 2 tins to finish the job, well with the 2 tins i had ive managed to give all the tinware 3 coats of paint also gave them 2 coats of laquer, whilst waiting for them to dry thought id make a start on the skids, had some mahogany (an old door frame) knocking around the shed which fitted the bill so they where cut and planed and then given 2 coats of varnish, last job of the day was to start putting the exhaust system back together. pics below have only put one pic of tinware just to give you an idea of colour and finish

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P4010010
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P4010011
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P4010012
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 2 P4010014

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Apr 01 2012, 21:00

looking rather bling abes Laughing

Perlesent paint , is that how they was from new ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Apr 01 2012, 21:06

Scott motor bikes yes mate lol

matt86_wd2 wrote:looking rather bling abes Laughing

Perlesent paint , is that how they was from new ?

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02 2012, 12:49

I see you've been busy again Abes and doing a great job. I like the colour of the tin ware weather it's right or wrong it's your choice mate. Nice find with the wood for the skids all I've got in my shed is a bit of 1/2 ply Laughing Laughing not quite the same.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Tue Apr 03 2012, 17:56

Cheers mate, must admit the paint colour was a hard choice did not want to do it drab green from pics thats what the orignal colour would have been so opted for using one of the colours that Scott used on there motor bikes instead i know its not a purist thing to do but at the end of the day it was light green and black when i got it lol ref the wood do what i do mate go to most double glazing firms and raid there scrap wood piles most of them have to pay to get it taken away, ive found door sills fit the bill the best

stationary stu wrote:I see you've been busy again Abes and doing a great job. I like the colour of the tin ware weather it's right or wrong it's your choice mate. Nice find with the wood for the skids all I've got in my shed is a bit of 1/2 ply Laughing Laughing not quite the same.

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next