www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Paint removing.

Go down

Paint removing. Empty Paint removing.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 12:20

This is just a little note to anyone that's new to engine restoration.

If you decide to remove paint from an old engine more then likely the paint used could be lead based so please wear a mask when removing paint unless you use a liquid paint remover and then try to dispose of the old paint that you've removed in the correct place so as it won't contaminate anything.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Paint removing. Empty Re: Paint removing.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 10:37

I thought I'd look up to see when we stopped using lead in paint for another topic the shocking findings are below.

I thought it would be interesting to know just when lead was banned from paint in the UK, and some countries are still using lead in there paint. It's a lot later then I thought so maybe more care when rubbing down old engines guys.

Red lead The lead-based pigments (lead tetroxide/calcium plumbate, or "red lead") were widely used as an anti-corrosive primer coating over exterior steelwork. This type of paint might have been applied to garden gates and railings, guttering and downpipes and other external iron and steel work. The 1992 European Union legislation stopped the sale of these types of paint to the general public.

Similar red lead-based compounds were also widely used as a jointing compound in engineering, to form steam- or oil-tight flanged joints in pipework.

Coloured lead paint Until the early 1970s red, yellow, orange and green lead-based pigments (lead chromate) were added to a limited number of decorative coloured gloss and wall paints. Following this non-lead alternatives were used as pigments.

Information supplied from Wikipedia

Stu.

Back to top Go down