www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

jap help needed please

Go down

jap help needed please

Post by brungo on Sun May 06 2012, 09:56

hello all

could anyone help me identify my 4 stroke, side valve JAP stationary engine please? i have found the following info on the block (2AT53955) plus it has MF in larger raised letters (sideways) under the exhaust on the engine block. it has a 'zenith' carb & 'wico' (spec number FW) electrics, a petrol tank that is rusty but i can just make out wierd markings on one side. it looks like a flying comet & tail & i can read a big M, possibly followed by an I in red or gold? just under that i can see the remains of the word BRITAIN...i think. there is a metal cowling around the engine, a very strange clamp affair that looks like it may clamp to a pole? the engine has a pull start like you'd find on a concrete mixer, outboard motor etc plus a (home made?) drive coupling made out of a rubber/fabric mix. i'd love to know what it may have been used for in it's previous life & what spares etc are like. it needs a bit of work but turns over easily now (many thanks for diesel advice stu) although exhaust valve was sticking. is it rare & worth spending much money on it? any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

brungo

brungo

Back to top Go down

Re: jap help needed please

Post by stationary stu on Sun May 06 2012, 10:59

Have a read of this see if it helps.

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t3318-jap-engine-model-and-cc

Jap engines in general are not worth a great deal of money (there is a few that are worth a few bob but there the bigger engines as used in the Morgan sports car). All engines can be resored/repaired to a budget as it's mainly time and not the cost of the spares unless it has electrical problems then it can sometimes work out expensive.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.
stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Re: jap help needed please

Post by kevjhnsn on Sun May 06 2012, 14:54

please see your earlyer post on this topic
as ive uploaded info and pics to help you with the id
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down