www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Anyone know about Vire Marine engines???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone know about Vire Marine engines???

Post by nutgone on Fri Jul 13 2012, 17:12

Some years ago I bought an old looking Vire marine engine/gearbox unit. I bought it complete, with some paperwork, from a local flea-market. Anyway, it sat round my sister's place, moved from place to place, spent some time outside, then got put in a shed. I bought it home with the Tarpen a couple of months, or so, back.

When I bought it I'm sure it looked fine. Both my brother & me looked it over before throwing it in the boot & storing it up (must've been 2005, or somewhen).

So, home it came, & on closer inspection I discovered some rather extensive cracking to the cylinder jacket, & it would no longer turn past TDC, in fact, once I got it close to TDC I couldn't get it to turn at all, so I guessed it was cracked inside the bore as well. A quick dismantle proved my worst fears, & it's not an easy one to repair.
So I left it in the garden, looking like a scrapper.

Today I decided to put a quick eBay search in for "Vire", only to find parts available, but at catastrophic prices! affraid

Does anyone here know anything about Vire engines? This is (I think) a Vire 6 model, 6hp, 2 stroke, with wet exhaust & fwd/rev gearbox. It doesn't have the usual dynastart fitted, it's a rope start, but it does have lighting coils (probably 6 volt) built into the magneto.

Unless I can source a new head/barrel unit there's little chance I'll ever see it running again. I had mad thoughts on using some of that rather marvellous Quick Steel putty to plug up the cracks in the outer cylinder jacket & seeing if I could get it to start, but I doubt it would, & it certainly wouldn't run for long.

Here's some pics.....

The rest of the photo's (11 in total) can be seen here....
http://photobucket.com/nutgonesvire

I would love to make an exhibit of it, it's suh a pretty little engine, but I simply can't justify (& definitley can't afford) £350 for an exchange barrel & head!

I've emailed the eBay bloke, to see if he's interested in the engine. It might make better use as some cash for another project Crying or Very sad

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone know about Vire Marine engines???

Post by stationary stu on Sat Jul 14 2012, 11:04

I've never had any dealings with marine engines and they havn't been covered much on the forum. It is a nasty crack and I don't think plastic metal would hold it for long even if you did manage to stop all the water leaks. Only thing I can suggest is keep hold of it and keep an eye on ebay but it could take a long time before you get anything like it. Only other thing is check around boat builders/repairers see if they have anything under a bench that might be of use to you.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg on Sat Jul 14 2012, 15:05

How bad is it internally? I'd be tempted to try welding that if it were mine...

It'd be a shame to scrap it. But then, I don't really like scrapping anything.

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sat Jul 14 2012, 15:34

A few of the cracks go into the cylinder lining, & there's not just a water jacket to consider, it's a 2 stroke, so there's ports all over the place as well. Personally I think welding is out of the question.

If you put the word "Vire" into an eBay search you'll see what I'm up against. The bloke on there wants £350 for a re-con head & barrel unit. He wants £170 for the exhaust silencer (& there's nothing wrong with that on mine).

This is just silly money!

So whatever happens, I won't be "scrapping" it. I would like to keep it & have it running, but seeing what the parts are worth, & the fact it probably isn't even that old, I think it will end up going for parts & I will use the money to buy something nice.

TBH if the guy offered me £350 for the whole thing I would probably let him have it (although I would like more, but I think I only paid around £60 for it anyway).
I would like to buy a little engine, something older & unusual, which I can fit in the boot of my car (it's a saloon, so not much room), or fit in the caravan, so I can go to the rallies & show the car, as well as take an engine.

I would love a little open-cranker, but I doubt I'd get one for £350, although you never know.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Jul 15 2012, 11:10

Nuts you'll probably find the guy will offer you peanuts for the engine, with prices he's selling at he sounds like a chancer just trying to rip people off knowing that it's difficult to get parts and even more expensive for someone to replace the engine in there boat. It would be a shame to sell it or break as spares but sometimes you have no other options, so good luck with what ever you do and I doubt if you'll get an open crank for that money or if you did manage to find one you'll end up spending the same again to get it running.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:01

Well the guy hasn't got back to me yet, so he could well be a chancer. I'll leave the thread up here, something might turn up.

I might also post it on some other forums, although I've had very little to do with any forum other than here. The only other one I posted on I got shouted at for suggesting the use modern 2 stroke oils in old engines (lovely way to treat a newbie Rolling Eyes ). But I suppose I could try again.

I think £350+ should get me something quite nice though, even if not an open cranker. But I'd still rather a running Vire marine engine Sad

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Jul 16 2012, 10:34

Just keep watching ebay and the other ad sites something might turn up.
As for other forums, here we do try to help and encourage newbies rather then laugh at them or shoot them down, we all have to learn and we have all asked stupid questions but a simple polite reply is always better then abuse which can discourage people away from the hobby.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Mon Jul 16 2012, 16:24

Yep, sounds like the bloke's a chancer to me, here's what he emailed me.....

Mathew,
thanks for your detailed email via ebay

the vire 6 is fairly old, circa 1962, and commonly they expired from the pump shaft corroding and letting water in to rot the gearbox, and as you have- cylinder walls bursting on the head. usually then someone removes the head without relaising that often drops the delicate piston out onto the crankcase and smashes chips off it. in fact chances are the piston is already chipped and back inside anyway.

replacement barrel/cyl;inder is approx £350, this is because the piston and barrel are the rarest parts to find in great condition. it may be possible to bodge repair the cylinder if its only external, but theres a dozen other issues to refinish once its off. like core plugs, decarbonising, honing, and clearing out all the knackered threads to heliciol and supply custom replacement bolts for as the originals were only good for 10 years not 50!

my advice is (with an assistant) remove the piston without letting it drop onto the crankcase and chip - then inspect the interior of the cylider and it's threads for the water entry/exit - if theres nothing to do but braze up the jacket, then you can get it working again, but if theres a lot more - scrap it.
if theres any trace of water, rust or corrosion in the otherwise clear good gear oil, or the gear lever isnt moving easily, its rotten gearbox inside.
if theres any rumbling on the main bearings as you rotate the flywheel by hand, it needs a £250 rebuild too.
if you are serious about carrying on pouring time and money into it, have a chat on the phone, i will talk you through the difference between 'getting it running' and 'getting it reliable', which on a boat is a necessity, or you might be better off with an outboard motor(if you arent going to sea).

everything is worthless to me (i have 7 vire 6s in bits hardly worth rebuilding) except a good piston, which i would pay you £50 for posted(or if you are local chrstchurch i would collect the lot). that piston can live on in another engine that needs a better one!

Nick

I replied....

Thanks for your reply, I've already had the barrel off, & I know it's cracked inside as well. The piston is fine though (I know what I'm doing & was careful with it).
My intentions were to use it as a stationary engine to show at steam rallies, I have no intentions of putting it back in a boat. Now I'm thinking it might be better taken to bits & sold off as spares, as I doubt I'll find another barrel for it. If it were external cracks only I could handle it myself, but internal cracks are probably beyond my skills & most definitely beyond my budget.

I will dismantle the gearbox next & decide where to go from there, if it looks good inside I will sell parts to make the most money, if not I will probably just weigh it in for scrap.

Many thanks for your help & insight.
Matt.

Basically saying if he's not interested he'll have to suffer me offering up cheap spares. I can't see it's of no value to him, when he sells (or tries to sell) the exhaust silencers for £170 exchange!
He obviously thinks I know nothing about engines or engineering. He should see my Tarpen! lol!

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Tue Jul 17 2012, 10:39

Crazy idea Shocked how about asking if he's willing to sell you or even give Laughing Laughing Laughing you a cylinder liner/block that has only external cracks so you could repair yourself. Not much use to him as it's damaged and only good for scrap, you could maybe even swap him so he won't loss out on the scrap money. Or do you think I'm over medicated to even think the guy might help you. lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy on Tue Jul 17 2012, 18:37

Might be a bit of a waiting game here. He may well have '7 engines not worth building' but he has to find buyers for the bits he wants to sell. When they don't come hammering on his door and he knows that you want bits he may well get back in touch.My advice would be to feign disinterest if he does get back in touch and tell him that you have put the project on the back burner until the right parts come along at the right price. See how long it takes for his prices to drop Very Happy

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Vire external parts

Post by davidt on Thu Sep 29 2016, 10:25

I've have a mechanically sound engine but need some external plumbing bits. I tried e-mailing 'nutgone' without success - is he/she still active?

Daviud

davidt

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Thu Sep 29 2016, 10:42

Did you email me? I couldn't see any way to reply, sorry (& I've been so busy lately)

Unfortunately I sold the Vire engine a couple of years back. The whole lot went for £50. Shame really, but it was pretty much scrap.

What sort of plumbing stuff are you after? Most of it should be pretty easy to make up.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by davidt on Thu Sep 29 2016, 10:58

It's the lower banjo on the cylinder with the small water exhaust injection valve and the hollow brass 'bolt' that screws thru' this banjo to accept water from the rear mounted water pump to the cylinder that I'm missing.

At the moment there's a horrid domestic plumbing elbow into a brass bush in the cooling water inlet.

The engine will function in its present state but its appearance is spoilt by the wrong bits.

davidt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:12

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top