www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

another petter A1 :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:10

OK, restoration is probably the wrong word Very Happy
More of a preservation/tidy up Very Happy

This engine was bought running so no big strip here, just a fair bit of lectric wire wheeling, rust converter and throwing some paint in its general direction all in the hope to make it a bit more presentable ready for the Purbeck Rally in Aug.

As was at sale


sort of progress





Paint thrown in general direction of said lump of metal









fixed the wipac fuel filter/valve yesterday as it was giving me leaky issues, still have the air filter to tackle plus another coat of muck on the tank, oh crap, forgot I still have to make some sort of trolley Very Happy

Edit:
got a little more carried away when I popped out for a smoke :





Last edited by blackvanman on Fri Jul 20 2012, 21:49; edited 2 times in total

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by nutgone on Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:22

Nice little project, looks like a good sturdy engine.

Just my opinion, but I think painting carbs is a bit of a mistake.

Are you going to video it running? I had one of these, but didn't keep it, just used it to turn a quick profit many years ago (already told the story of it bouncing off up the garden when I first started it, so won't bore you again).
I have very distinct memories of it's sound though, I think it's those straight cut gears in the timing side gear case, would like to hear one again, see how good my memory is.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Fri Jul 20 2012, 21:09

nutgone wrote:Nice little project, looks like a good sturdy engine.

Just my opinion, but I think painting carbs is a bit of a mistake.

Are you going to video it running? I had one of these, but didn't keep it, just used it to turn a quick profit many years ago (already told the story of it bouncing off up the garden when I first started it, so won't bore you again).
I have very distinct memories of it's sound though, I think it's those straight cut gears in the timing side gear case, would like to hear one again, see how good my memory is.

she is a good engine, shame I attacked it with a paint brush Very Happy

re carb, normaly I wouldn't but it had its original paint on the carb and it was going to take longer to remove than go over.

I put a video up the other week can't remember where though, so here:
taken at a bad angle with a phone, and my finger slipped on shutdown hence the pop Very Happy


blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by stationary stu on Sat Jul 21 2012, 11:10

Coming along well, should look the part for it's first rally outing. To strip paint off the carb use carb cleaner, I find it works a treat and just use a tooth brush to clean it all off. Thing is you could find the paint lifting if you have any excess petrol coming out the carb and it won't look good.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Sat Jul 21 2012, 11:24

stationary stu wrote:Coming along well, should look the part for it's first rally outing. To strip paint off the carb use carb cleaner, I find it works a treat and just use a tooth brush to clean it all off. Thing is you could find the paint lifting if you have any excess petrol coming out the carb and it won't look good.

Stu.
yep aware of those issues lol, it was a suck it and see move Very Happy

personaly (and no I'm not fishing) I know it looks crap up close but it is very pitted on the cowlings, and I brush painted it so a fair few brush marks as a result, but...... if you stand back a few feet, squint and wobble your head at the same time after a couple of beers, she would easily be the best looking engine at the rally lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Taken this morning after a quick re-assemble


blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by stationary stu on Sat Jul 21 2012, 11:35

One thing I would do is clean the paint off the petrol pipe, they look better cleaned up and shining in the Summer sun. lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Sat Jul 21 2012, 15:58

stationary stu wrote:One thing I would do is clean the paint off the petrol pipe, they look better cleaned up and shining in the Summer sun. lol! lol! lol!

Stu.
I've only just bloody painted it you bugger Very Happy

anyway paint looks better in the summer rain lol! lol!

got to make some sort of trolley now jocolor

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by stationary stu on Sun Jul 22 2012, 12:03

blackvanman wrote:
stationary stu wrote:One thing I would do is clean the paint off the petrol pipe, they look better cleaned up and shining in the Summer sun. lol! lol! lol!

Stu.
I've only just bloody painted it you bugger Very Happy

anyway paint looks better in the summer rain lol! lol!

got to make some sort of trolley now jocolor

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by DanBoy on Sun Jul 22 2012, 13:44

Looking quite presentable now....... Wink

_________________
I intend to live forever - so far, so good! bom

DanBoy
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 622
Join date : 2012-01-09
Location : Burntwood, Staffordshire

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Sun Jul 22 2012, 16:21

Cheers DanBoy, not sure I aggree but it will do for now lol

Ok, trolley is now on hold, my Dad is going to turn me some stub axles for the wheels (he has a lathe I don't Sad ) which I will then weld into some box section and fit the pair to the lumps of wood that are there currently.
The wheels will be used again and are right now very cruedly coach bolted just to make it moveable.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:25

Change of plan, again. got p'd off trying to do anything with the wood that was on it, so took a trip to b and q:



have since this photo waxed the wood and painted the axels black, tommorrow I will do the lift on Smile

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by mike d on Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:43

yes the trolley looks very good..well sturdy for the engine...
im guessing you taking it to purbeck with you....
sounds like its going to be a good rally.....

mike...

_________________
NOT HERE FOR A LONG TIME, JUST HERE FOR A GOOD TIME
SEEMS TO BE WORKING...

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 7591
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 55
Location : DORSET..BORN AND BRED AND PROUD OF IT.

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Wed Aug 01 2012, 23:00

mike d wrote:yes the trolley looks very good..well sturdy for the engine...
im guessing you taking it to purbeck with you....
sounds like its going to be a good rally.....

mike...
Yes Mike,
thats why I am slapping it all together in a hurry Very Happy

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by stationary stu on Thu Aug 02 2012, 11:22

Nice looking trolley you've made, and I do like the colour you've got the wood.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Thu Aug 02 2012, 16:02

stationary stu wrote:Nice looking trolley you've made, and I do like the colour you've got the wood.

Stu.

Shame Stu, its a bit darker now the wax is on lol

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Thu Aug 02 2012, 18:45

and today:



just need to touch up the paint a little in a couple of spots and paint the bolts and she will be ready for Purbeck Smile

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by hob on Thu Aug 02 2012, 19:11

don't think i would have painted the drive shaft, you never know you might want to take the flywheel or pulley off sometime................. apart from that it looks good Very Happy

_________________
Lister D............ Lister domestic water pump
Petter A1 .......................Union pillar drill
National F type 1935.............wood planer
argosy pump
Villiers mk 15

hob
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 727
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 65
Location : East Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Thu Aug 02 2012, 21:10

hob wrote:don't think i would have painted the drive shaft, you never know you might want to take the flywheel or pulley off sometime................. apart from that it looks good Very Happy

lol, the state of that crank shaft under the paint that flywheel weren't going to come quietly regardless lol! theres always nitromorse Very Happy

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by pauldg on Thu Aug 02 2012, 21:20

Nitromors? You might as well give it a stern look Laughing

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Posts : 300
Join date : 2012-06-29
Age : 39
Location : South Wiltshire

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Thu Aug 02 2012, 21:25

pauldg wrote:Nitromors? You might as well give it a stern look Laughing
not when you have a can as old as mine Twisted Evil

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by pauldg on Thu Aug 02 2012, 21:30

blackvanman wrote:
pauldg wrote:Nitromors? You might as well give it a stern look Laughing
not when you have a can as old as mine Twisted Evil

Ah, so you have paint stripper - not stuff that enquires politely if the paint wouldn't mind terribly coming off if it's not too much trouble and won't disrupt it's evening plans too much...

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Posts : 300
Join date : 2012-06-29
Age : 39
Location : South Wiltshire

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by blackvanman on Thu Aug 02 2012, 21:43

pauldg wrote:
blackvanman wrote:
pauldg wrote:Nitromors? You might as well give it a stern look Laughing
not when you have a can as old as mine Twisted Evil

Ah, so you have paint stripper - not stuff that enquires politely if the paint wouldn't mind terribly coming off if it's not too much trouble and won't disrupt it's evening plans too much...

Thats the stuff Very Happy

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by stationary stu on Fri Aug 03 2012, 11:16

pauldg wrote:Ah, so you have paint stripper - not stuff that enquires politely if the paint wouldn't mind terribly coming off if it's not too much trouble and won't disrupt it's evening plans too much...

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: another petter A1 :)

Post by Sponsored content Today at 01:07


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum