www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

unknowen 4 stroke engine

5 posters

Go down

unknowen 4 stroke engine Empty unknowen 4 stroke engine

Post by philly77 Wed Aug 01 2012, 08:14

Hi,

my Grandfather found a stationary engine in his cellar. I am going to restore the engine. But bevore I start the project I need infos about the engine. Because I could not find any hints like a identification plate or similar on the engine I do not have a clou which typ of engine I have.

It looks like that someone afterwards attached a small 24V Generator to the engine including a 24V bulb. The carburetor is from a small 50ccm motorbike my grandfather told me.

Could anyone of you identify this engine or have some documents from the engine? Maybe it was a construction kit someone bought and built up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Many thanks

Phillip

philly77

Back to top Go down

unknowen 4 stroke engine Empty Re: unknowen 4 stroke engine

Post by DanBoy Wed Aug 01 2012, 08:44

At first sight that could well be a Madison or a Butler engine. If so, they were produced in Derby in the early 1900's. It is difficult to tell from the pictures and a few more would be helpful.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by philly77 Wed Aug 01 2012, 19:37

Thanks for the answer,
here are some more images.

Phillip

philly77

Back to top Go down

Post by PetterM Wed Aug 01 2012, 21:03

DanBoy wrote:At first sight that could well be a Madison or a Butler engine. If so, they were produced in Derby in the early 1900's. It is difficult to tell from the pictures and a few more would be helpful.

Nope, it isn't. Guess again... Wink

PetterM
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Aug 02 2012, 07:52

It looks a bit home made to me
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Thu Aug 02 2012, 08:47

EIC magneto's were made in Birmingham so that would make it a British open crank engine. C'mon Petter, put us out of our misery.... Smile

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauldg Thu Aug 02 2012, 11:11

Now why can't I find something like that in the cellar? I suppose I would need a cellar for a start, but still...

pauldg
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02 2012, 11:59

I'd say the same as Jonesey it looks home made, maybe bits from other engines added in, looking at the con rod it looks to be made of aluminium. the big pulley on the end of the flywheel looks to be old sewing machine, yet some parts look a little like a Stuart, some parts even look reasonably modern.
Sorry can't help you any more.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by PetterM Thu Aug 02 2012, 13:13

DanBoy wrote:EIC magneto's were made in Birmingham so that would make it a British open crank engine. C'mon Petter, put us out of our misery.... Smile

You're assuming that magneto is original ;-)

PetterM
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Thu Aug 02 2012, 17:04

PetterM wrote:
DanBoy wrote:EIC magneto's were made in Birmingham so that would make it a British open crank engine. C'mon Petter, put us out of our misery.... Smile

You're assuming that magneto is original ;-)

You're right. I am assuming. Smile

"I'd say the same as Jonesey it looks home made, maybe bits from other engines added in, looking at the con rod it looks to be made of aluminium. the big pulley on the end of the flywheel looks to be old sewing machine" Stu

I can see the sewing machine connection as the spokes look like those on an old Singer. But so did those on the Butler/Madison engines. Also similar on the National engines ?

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DanBoy Thu Aug 02 2012, 17:29

Well I've searched and come up with a few more names. Tom Senior, Stuart, Hobbs. But the thing that is putting me off is that glass fuel supply. I can find no reference to anyone who used such a system. Come on Petter (and I have looked up the early Petter's as well) What do you think it is? Question Question

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by philly77 Thu Aug 02 2012, 17:43

Hi,

If I'am Not wrong there is a manufacturer printed on the fuel tank. Will ask my dad to take a picture cause I am not at home.

The wheel you are refering to could be a singer typ. Was a very popular brand in Austria.
As said in my initial post it looks like the generator and the wheel was attached afterwards.

Phillip

philly77

Back to top Go down

Post by PetterM Thu Aug 02 2012, 18:51

DanBoy wrote:Well I've searched and come up with a few more names. Tom Senior, Stuart, Hobbs. But the thing that is putting me off is that glass fuel supply. I can find no reference to anyone who used such a system. Come on Petter (and I have looked up the early Petter's as well) What do you think it is? Question Question

None of those ;-)

PetterM
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

unknowen 4 stroke engine Empty Lable on the fuel tank

Post by philly77 Tue Aug 07 2012, 21:07

Please find the lable printed on the Fuel tank

philly77

Back to top Go down