www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

small project.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: small project.

Post by nutgone on Sat Nov 03 2012, 19:12

steve w wrote:i have noticed this with the engines on ebay some think they cant start high and get plenty.

You seem to see it more & more just lately, then a little gem like this turns up (it hasn't finished yet, but looks a good engine for a fair price)....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321014738590&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by steve w on Sat Nov 03 2012, 19:16

Thats a nice looking engine - problem is - i might need a bigger workshop lol.

steve w
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Posts : 498
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 44
Location : Nr Wolverhampton

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by blackvanman on Sun Nov 04 2012, 10:27

nutgone wrote:
steve w wrote:i have noticed this with the engines on ebay some think they cant start high and get plenty.

You seem to see it more & more just lately, then a little gem like this turns up (it hasn't finished yet, but looks a good engine for a fair price)....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321014738590&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

Well, did you win?

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 937
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by stationary stu on Sun Nov 04 2012, 11:32

steve w wrote:This looks like the same unit on ebay - Click Here

they say its a - Enfield Cycle Co. Accumlator charging engine 1945. -

interesting to see one with the cage on.

I do know the seller of this and his facts will be fairly good as he does look into his engines. The seller does like to make a profit on what he sells.

I think this seller is also looking to make a profit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190744851130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and this one has people throwing money at him http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261119898497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ebay is a strange place for prices this Bradford is similar to one I bought of ebay a few months back this has a reasonable price tag yet mine was over £250 cheaper, now that's crazy prices and I'm very happy with them shame the seller wasn't Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170927516786?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stu.l

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by nutgone on Sun Nov 04 2012, 18:05

blackvanman wrote:
nutgone wrote:
steve w wrote:i have noticed this with the engines on ebay some think they cant start high and get plenty.

You seem to see it more & more just lately, then a little gem like this turns up (it hasn't finished yet, but looks a good engine for a fair price)....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321014738590&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

Well, did you win?

I didn't bid, but someone got a bargain. I feel this "Hobby" is littered with people looking to make a fast buck. I don't mind profit, it's always nice to make a little money, but it's supposed to be a hobby, not a business venture & I think sometimes people need to be a little more realistic. I hope I've said nothing here to offend anyone, just to be sure I am NOT necessarily talking about the seller of this little unit (sorry Stu, I haven't looked at your other links yet), but I generally think the idea with eBay is to list something for the absolute minimum price you are willing to accept for it, then see where it goes, not put the top money as a start price, this isn't how auctions work.

I went to a small Crank-Up & bring & buy gathering this morning, & sure enough all sides of the spectrum were there too. Someone selling some very reasonably priced engines & stuff, then others asking silly money for very mediocre stuff. The ones asking silly money left with their vans still full & their pockets empty, the others left with empty vans & smiles on their faces knowing they had made someone else's day & passed on a project to someone who really wants it & is actually likely to do something with it, not just leave it in a shed getting rusty with a load of other junk they'll never get round to fixing.

All in all it was quite a nice day though.

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by stationary stu on Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:45

I have to agree with what your saying BVM there's to many out there trying to make a fast buck, going to autions picking up cheap engines then within hours there on ebay wanting top price, some still have the lot numbers on so you can see where they came from. Personally I think these are the people that give the hobby a bad name as they sell engines without knowing there back grounds so you might as well go to the auction and take the risk yourself and hope it works when you try it. Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with selling an engine you've owned and making a profit no matter how big or small if it's an engine you've worked on and gave TLC to. Only thing is don't buy from these sellers they'll either give up or sell at a more reasonable price.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but it's my opinion and I'll stick with it.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by nutgone on Mon Nov 05 2012, 14:02

stationary stu wrote:Only thing is don't buy from these sellers they'll either give up or sell at a more reasonable price.

Stu.

You're quite right Stu. I guess those splashing their cash are almost as bad. It's a good thing there are still those little gems out there, scattered about. Like my dad said to me once "you can't buy them all".
(much as I'd like to lol! )

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by stationary stu on Tue Nov 06 2012, 11:48

It's just so annoying to see good engines stripped, like I've said it's happening in my area to try and stop it someone put a Lister D on ebay with £160 buy it now it was bought at that and within a week was back on ebay but this time in bits yes they made a small profit but what a waste of a good running engine that someone had spent hours on restoring.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by nutgone on Tue Nov 06 2012, 13:43

stationary stu wrote:It's just so annoying to see good engines stripped, like I've said it's happening in my area to try and stop it someone put a Lister D on ebay with £160 buy it now it was bought at that and within a week was back on ebay but this time in bits yes they made a small profit but what a waste of a good running engine that someone had spent hours on restoring.

Stu.

Breaks my heart to hear about such things. I had no idea it went on really. Parts should really come from broken or frost damaged engines, not working examples.

_________________
The "F" key is dying on my computer, please remember this when reading my posts, I'm trying to avoid using it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 2356
Join date : 2012-07-04
Age : 37
Location : East Sussex

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by stationary stu on Tue Nov 06 2012, 17:09

nutgone wrote:
stationary stu wrote:It's just so annoying to see good engines stripped, like I've said it's happening in my area to try and stop it someone put a Lister D on ebay with £160 buy it now it was bought at that and within a week was back on ebay but this time in bits yes they made a small profit but what a waste of a good running engine that someone had spent hours on restoring.

Stu.

Breaks my heart to hear about such things. I had no idea it went on really. Parts should really come from broken or frost damaged engines, not working examples.

Exaxtly there's plenty about with dead mags etc so there's no need to break a runner. Thing is where here to restore engines that's stood about for 20 years +, a hobby to get them running again, just that satisfaction when it fires into life is a great feeling to know you've done a good job, any monkey can strip an engine down just to make money. If it was a vintage car everything would be done that was possable to save it not start hacking the wings off coz it won't start.

Stu.

Stu.

_________________
Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Posts : 8962
Join date : 2009-07-21
Age : 58
Location : Stanley, Co. Durham.

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by steve w on Tue Nov 06 2012, 18:00

its a bad day when you strip a runner for parts - i have seen a few on ebay that have had parts stripped off and the seller selling them, i do a bit of wood turning and its the same when anyone sells up - the tool sets get split up - i also used to know a chap that stripped old historic cars as he could make more off the small parts than selling it as a whole,

steve w
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Posts : 498
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 44
Location : Nr Wolverhampton

Back to top Go down

Re: small project.

Post by Sponsored content Today at 01:54


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum