www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

fairbanks morse D type

4 posters

Go down

fairbanks morse D type Empty fairbanks morse D type

Post by moorhen40 Mon Oct 22 2012, 18:15

Hi All
I have decided to strip down my D type in doing so i will need some more crankshaft seals these are felt type inbetween two pieces of metal. Does anyone on here know where i can get this type of material from or will i have to order from the states Cheers from ANDY

I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

fairbanks morse D type Empty Re: fairbanks morse D type

Post by blackvanman Mon Oct 22 2012, 23:12

moorhen40 wrote:Hi All
I have decided to strip down my D type in doing so i will need some more crankshaft seals these are felt type inbetween two pieces of metal. Does anyone on here know where i can get this type of material from or will i have to order from the states Cheers from ANDY

I don't know the engine, but are you sure its not gland packing (like this) if so you would obviously need to measure the channels to get the right size.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Oct 22 2012, 23:17

moorhen40 wrote:Hi All

do you mean a fairbanks z type ????
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Oct 23 2012, 00:34

Stationaryengineparts.com do felt type oil seal material, but it's not cheap. You'll find it on their website with the gasket materials (I think), there are various thicknesses.

You might also try eBay, as there are many types of modern (better) gasket/seal type materials now on offer. TYM Seals (based in Devizes, Wiltshire) are very good, they have an eBay shop & their own website. I would highly recommend them.

What sort of thickness are we talking (for the felt)???
I had to make up a crank case seal for my WW2 Homelite genny, I made it from modern gasket paper (but not paper IYKWIM) & it works a treat, just took some very precise cutting.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

fairbanks morse D type Empty fairbanks

Post by moorhen40 Tue Oct 23 2012, 17:41

Thanks for the feedback i will have a look around Cheers from ANDY

Back to top Go down