www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2

+4
Abes
Grendel
matt86
JONESEY
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16 2012, 12:24

Going great guns now Nuts looking forward to seeing a video of it up and running.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2

Post by nutgone Fri Nov 16 2012, 19:15

Really not happy now. I got the thing together easily enough....

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2 - Page 4 DSC02155

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2 - Page 4 DSC02156

But after hours of pulling, & injuring my shoulder, I can't get the bloody thing started! It'll pop a few times, but won't catch on. Which I can't understand, as it started so easy when it was just the engine on the bench.

I've tried just about every conceivable different carb & choke setting, I've emptied the crank case when it's flooded, I've cleaned & changed the plug, tried different plugs, different plug gaps, different throttle settings, but I can't get the f*cking thing to start!!! Mad Mad Mad

OK, I've had a couple of pints now, so better not say any more. I bet Ian will just walk up to it, pull the rope & it'll run!

Oh well, I've left it like this....

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2 - Page 4 DSC02157

Under these blankets are 2 Tarpens & a Lister D, all of which are non-runners. Ever had one of those days where you wish you'd never started???

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Fri Nov 16 2012, 22:55

There's also a Petter AA1 that DOES start Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17 2012, 11:04

Nuts... chin up mate I have the same problems with ever engine I work on, LOL good job my backs not in good shape as I'd have thrown a few by now. Best thing is walk away and leave them for another day, I find that's best, I've had engine run all day at a rally take it home then next day nothing, spend hours on it and still won't run. Think it's just part of the hobby, you'll find it's something very small causing the problem.
Good luck and I'm sure you'll get it running again once you get you head cleared, I tend to think things through sitting watch tv and can figure out where I've gone wrong.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Nov 17 2012, 14:22

Very Happy Very Happy did you turn the ignition switch to the " ON " possition mate Very Happy Very Happy
try a fan heater on the engine for a 1hr to warm it up and use a blowtouch and heat the plug up that works somtimes on engines that have stood for a while and lost i little bit of go
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Sat Nov 17 2012, 14:44

I've just been in the garage tinkering, got the Petter to start first pull from cold Laughing messed around with the rev counter and found I could get it to just about run at 500rpm, top end was over 3000 but she was smoking a lot at that speed and didn't seem to like it at all, think the throttle needs adjusting.

Anyway, back to the tarpen. Everything feels very tight, possibly too tight. I don't think the engine can get enough inertia up to overcome this, that is why she will fire once or twice then stop. There is no end float at all Shocked
I think the spanners need to come out again and get the genny moved about to allow everything to float just a little bit more and free everything up a bit. It may also be losing a bit of compression somewhere but I can't be sure.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Nov 17 2012, 16:53

OK, I think Ian is going to bring it back here tomorrow (Sunday) for me to tinker with. I've got a feeling something's slightly out of line with the generator mounting. Shouldn't be too difficult to get sorted. (Famous last words).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:53

Could you belt it up to the Petter see if that helps to start it up, if it does then something must be tight to turn over by hand.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Nov 18 2012, 22:40

I would love to belt it up to another engine Stu, but we haven't got any large belts knocking around. I've even got thoughts of getting that old motor wired up & running, I could belt it up to that. But, it occurred to me this evening I could knock something up with a mains powered drill & a socket on the end of the crank shaft, I just need to make sure it's safe. IE: the socket doesn't stay on the crank shaft nut & end up flying off. I think some glue or some tape should sort that out, just need to find my drill-socket adapter thingy scratch

Anyway, true to his word, Ian came round today with the Tarpen & after a LOT of mucking around & pulling at the rope we managed to get it started! cheers
This involved loosening the generator mounting bolts to free things off a bit, also a lot of carb fiddling & taking apart & clearing of jets. I also adjusted the timing in both directions. I can't quite remember what I did to get it going but it did run. We ran it for a couple of minutes, at first it faltered a bit & I managed to keep it going by richening the mixture as it was far too weak. Then I ran out to the car to fetch the light bulbs & we plugged the light board in, it all generates power as it should & the governor works, which is great news.

Then I stopped it by closing the throttle. I knew dinner was almost ready at this point. I thought the ultimate test would be to see if it would start again.

Guess what???....

It wouldn't! Mad Sad Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad Mad Mad

Even letting it cool & having another go after dinner, it still wouldn't start, & once again I've started fiddling with the settings, so I've lost the magic combination, which wasn't so magic after all. Rolling Eyes

So once again I'm at a loss! I'm fast running out of ideas with this one now. When it ran it ran really well, & I mean REALLY well. there's a cracking spark there & there's definitely fuel getting through. What gets me is we've always had a Tarpen like this one, years ago we had another one like this & they have all always been really reliable & very good starters.

I think the main culprit is the carb, but just to be sure I'm going to take the head off tomorrow & see if I've done something silly like put the piston back on the wrong way round. In theory it would still start like this, but not easily.

I actually hope it is something silly like this. i would feel a bit silly, but it would put my mind at rest. I really want to sell this one on if possible & move onto something different, but I can't sell it if it's not going to start.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19 2012, 10:53

It's turning into a right nightmare this Tarpen, like you say you need to look else where now as you must have tried every setting going.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Nov 19 2012, 12:00

What a dickhead! (not you, I'm talking about me Embarassed ) Look what I've done....

Here We Go Again! Tarpen Take 2 - Page 4 DSC02173

I have put the piston back in the wrong way round! Can't believe it! I suppose it was mainly because I put the piston back on whilst the crank shaft was still out. All I had to go on was one end had a left hand thread & the other was a right hand, must've got it mixed up.

I've taken the barrel off & changed it around. Had a little bit of trouble with one of the circlips, but it didn't take long (Ian was here to help out as well, he managed not to break anything this time Wink )

Now it's all back together properly it starts first pull every time. It's got to be one of the easiest starting engines I've had. The genny gives a good output & the governor works really well. In fact it's such a good little runner it seems a shame to get rid of it now.

Anyway, I might feel like a bit of a t*t, but at least it's something definite & now I know it's sorted. Very Happy

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Nov 19 2012, 19:57

Come on everyone, dig in. We can't let him get away with this one Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Nov 19 2012, 20:58

It's now on eBay (see eBay section for link). I think I may have over-priced it, especially for this time of year, but I'm really just trying to protect myself. If it fails to sell I'm happy to hang onto it until the spring, give the paint time to harden Very Happy

It's such a sweet little runner now though, starts so easily & everything works, even the electro-magnetic governor system, I think if I hadn't put it on eBay straight away I probably never would have. As far as condition/wear & tear goes this is definitely the better engine, & it has local history, but it doesn't have the sentimental value of the other one.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Nov 19 2012, 21:21

Ianhw77k wrote:Come on everyone, dig in. We can't let him get away with this one Laughing Laughing Laughing

Easy enough to do. I thought I was being clever putting the piston back on before putting the crank cases back together, as I could safely hold the con-rod & get the pin in without any risk of bending or damaging anything, also it's easier to get the pin in on the bench.

Turns out I had to do it all again on the engine anyway, but it'll teach me for next time, won't it. & it might help answer a few questions on another thread, where someone keeps getting his spark plug struck by the piston on a Villiers Midget. It is possible to get these engines to start & run with the piston in the wrong way round. Some of these deflector-top-piston engines had shaped heads, so this wouldn't be possible, but that was more common on motorbikes than stationary engines.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 20 2012, 12:37

Nice to hear you've got it sorted Matt, I'm not going to say anything about you putting the piston in the wrong way as knowing my luck I'll do the same, but I won't forget and might just have a little dig when your not expecting it Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Nov 20 2012, 16:10

Ere! I wonder if we did that with the Stuart Turner piston Question Might explain why she's such a pig to start.

(Not even sure if that's a deflector top piston or not Rolling Eyes )
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Nov 20 2012, 16:58

Ianhw77k wrote:Ere! I wonder if we did that with the Stuart Turner piston Question Might explain why she's such a pig to start.

(Not even sure if that's a deflector top piston or not Rolling Eyes )

It is a deflector top piston, might want checking, but before we do I must remind you that it was you who put that bit together.

(Now if I go & check & find out it is the wrong way round he'll claim sabotage Rolling Eyes )

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Nov 20 2012, 17:35

WE put it back together and I can't remember who put the piston in Embarassed
Maybe a strip down is on the cards for that engine while I try to sort an exhaust out for it and maybe get some paint.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Nov 20 2012, 18:54

Ianhw77k wrote:WE put it back together and I can't remember who put the piston in Embarassed
Maybe a strip down is on the cards for that engine while I try to sort an exhaust out for it and maybe get some paint.

No no no, I'm sure it was you who put the piston in, I went off & made the coffees, when I came back the piston was in.

I'm sure that's how it happened. Very Happy

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Nov 20 2012, 21:15

now now boys not let us have a domestic lol! lol! lol! lol!

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Nov 20 2012, 22:11

Suppose I'd better whip the head off tomorrow & have a look, now I've (once again) run out of things to do.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Nov 20 2012, 22:30

nutgone wrote:Suppose I'd better whip the head off tomorrow & have a look, now I've (once again) run out of things to do.
Would be interesting to know.
Go easy on that head gasket though, and undo the bolts in proper order, don't want you breaking anything lol! lol! lol!

Just couldn't help myself Embarassed Laughing
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:57

I bet your parent have had one hell of a life with you two growing up, 33 and still arguing lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Nov 26 2012, 23:58

Well, the old girl sold tonight on eBay, so I guess it's goodbye to my Tarpen number 2 Crying or Very sad

I've got plans for my next project, but when I went to look for the bundle of bits of paper I took out of one of my pockets a while back, I found it has been thrown away by someone!
Now, this bundle of paper contained a very important phone number, it was the number of a bloke who has an engine for sale, an engine I really want!

"Someone" is going to get shouted at if it doesn't turn up or I can't get hold of this bloke some other way, as this is the perfect next stage project for me, if it's still there! Mad Mad Mad

I'm now wracking my brains to see if I can contact this bloke through a third party. It might just be possible, but I won't say too much, as I don't want to jinx it.

Still, the Tarpen sold, so that's good news. Smile

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Nov 27 2012, 03:37

good news with the sale on ebay mate
well thats one out and then the next will be filling the space soon Very Happy Very Happy
cant think of any other members on here like that, apart from let me think now
thats it its " all of us " lol! lol!
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next