www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister LD1 original Pumpset

4 posters

Go down

Lister LD1 original Pumpset Empty Lister LD1 original Pumpset

Post by Matth92 Wed Oct 31 2012, 22:20

Picked this little beauty up the other day, its a Lister LD1 driving a Godwin OHO pump, all on its proper base, the farm I picked it up from had it installed in 1952 by Shutes of Honiton, and it had not run since 1980 until I got my mitts on it, I dont think the pump has ever been used, no trace of oil having ever been in the sump, and no sign of the belts for it anywhere either, engine runs very nicely:cheers:

Lister LD1 original Pumpset 001-2

Last edited by Matth92 on Mon Apr 08 2013, 17:28; edited 1 time in total

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Lister LD1 original Pumpset Empty Re: Lister LD1 original Pumpset

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Nov 01 2012, 02:22

well the diesel weisels are coming out in numbers latly
well i said i would never buy one ,and there went that saying
looks a nice little set up matt
the lister / petter diesels and villiers ones to and maybe others to
if there difficult to start cold a squert of oil in the inlet side works a treat
ive seen a petter paz1 dragged out of a shed and not run for yrs ,oil can pump pump gave it a swing and away it ran
i also like the pump on this set of yours there matt , it does look old but not much sign of use from the shinny shaft and as you say pulley looks well also mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Thu Nov 01 2012, 09:38

Nice find. I've been spreading the word with farmers in my area about any old engines lying around. Hopefully I'll find something like this.
I recently got myself a diesel as well, once you get them going they are great, no magnetos or spark plugs to worry about Wink
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 11:30

Nice find Matt and a good price, so are you leaving it as it is and belting the pump up and showing them together?

Kev I've never heard of a squirt of oil into the inlet to help start a diesel before, a squirt of either (eazystart) or a flaming rag next to the inlet is very good to start diesels.

Ian no mags or spark plugs but you've got fuel pumps and injectors the non spark alternatives Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:11

I'm kind of hankering after a Diesel myself now. I like the simplicity of no spark plugs etc etc, but they still have their problems, which mainly consist of fuel system bleeding (simple really, don't let it run out of fuel).

This one looks a nice little set up, I especially like the look of the pump. I reconditioned a Lister LT2 for my uncle when I was about 16, he used it to power his narrow boat. I remember being quite surprised at how clean they are inside.

As for the oil in the inlet, Ian's little Petter AA1 has a small oil primer on the rocker box, this squirts some oil onto the valves/rockers & seems to help cold starting. I can only assume Kev's similar trick helps the piston get a good seal, therefore giving better compression, whilst also giving the engine something else to burn (as engine oil burns slower than Diesel this may also help a bit???)

I know Ian sees his Diesel as a possible "end of world" engine, or useful if the power was to go out for a lengthy period, but I don't think a Diesel is necessarily the way to go in such circumstances, as you still need to find fuel of some sort (veg oil, kerosene, heating oil etc etc).
BUT, if you had a petrol engine you could run it off of gas. You can make your own gas from wood, coal or charcoal & water vapour. So I think I might be making myself a small wood gas generator over the winter (if I get time) & see if I can't get my own "End of World" engine set-up.

I still want a Diesel of my own though. Crying or Very sad

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down