www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ian's Stuart Turner P5XC

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ian's Stuart Turner P5XC

Post by Ianhw77k on Tue Dec 18 2012, 21:29

I must admit, I had to pop over this evening for a quick peek. It does look good, totally the wrong colour from what it would have originally been but I don't care. It will turn some heads, especially when I get the rad and trolley sorted for it. They are the next big jobs so I need to get my backside into gear!

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Wed Dec 19 2012, 11:39

Looking forward to seeing the pics as it sounds spot on now.

Have you a rad for the engine or have you got to look for one? as that's going to take some finding.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Wed Dec 19 2012, 13:12

stationary stu wrote:Looking forward to seeing the pics as it sounds spot on now.

Have you a rad for the engine or have you got to look for one? as that's going to take some finding.

Stu.

We've got an old Mini radiator. It's an old one with brass tanks, but it needs a re-core as it's quite badly damaged across 2 or 3 of it's tubes.

We are going to try & find a new core for it & I will have a go at re-coring it myself. There is very little info about how to do this on the net, but the best quote we've had so far is around £70. I'll get some Bakers Fluid in specially for the job. I'm sure it can't be that difficult. If I mess it up we'll just take it to the bloke & pay him to do it.

What we do need is a fan & some kind of bearing block to hold it in. Then we'll need to make up some mounting brackets for it all & sort out the plumbing.

We'll also be looking for a brass cap for the rad, preferably a zero pressure one, or just take the spring out of one, as we don't want any pressure in the system, or not much at any rate. It's just going to rely on thermo-syphon for circulation.

the only trouble is the Mini rad has a sloping top tank, which may look a bit weird, but that's not a massive issue, we might even be able to disguise it somehow.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, my phone is now refusing to send emails at all! It's saying something about "Certificate Error, check time & date", whatever that means. I haven't changed anything, but it won't send anything at all via email, to anywhere.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Wed Dec 19 2012, 22:22

I've been searching for radiator core material on the net and have found absolutely nothing Sad

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated or if anyone knows of any rads that would be suitable. Needs to be about 1square foot in size, about the size of a Mini radiator.

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Wed Dec 19 2012, 23:00

Well, I finished the painting this evening, finally did the front face of the flywheel. I've also trimmed off the excess around the open holes & put back all the brassware & air-filter. I must say it looks a real treat, I got some great pics but I just can't get them emailed onto my Photobucket account. So I will have to get the lead out again & do it manually. Good job I don't rely on my phone for emails, it's always been a bit dodgy from time to time but this time it just flatly refuses to send any emails to any address. I think it's something to do with my security software, but that's a minefield in itself.

This afternoon I had a go at disassembling the radiator we have. I managed to get the top & bottom tanks off, but I don't know how the re-coring process goes. Funnily enough, about 12 years ago I had a successful interview for a job at a radiator re-coring business. But I also had a successful trial day with a local electrician, so I chose to be an electrician, as I was good at that & knew what I was doing. Now I wish I'd learnt how to re-core rads & done the electrician thing a few years later!

Anyway, if we can get a core, & some information on how it all goes together I'll have a bash at doing it. But it seems getting hold of a new core isn't easy, & this one will need to be copper & brass as well, not aluminium, as you can't solder aluminium.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Thu Dec 20 2012, 12:20

I don't think it will make any difference but the mini radiator was designed to work the opposite way round to normal rads. The mini fan used to push air threw it where as normal fan drew air threw there rads.
You can get the caps that fit that have no spring for the pressure, they were normally fitted onto the expansion water bottle on cars built in the 70's.
If you want to speak to someone about your rad try P.M.ing forum member seniorengineers as he does rad repairs and may be able to help you in some way and David's not a bad bloke to talk to but his jokes are terrible No Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Thu Dec 20 2012, 19:49

Here's some pics of it taking shape. I just got texted another one from Matt with the flywheel on, I'll have a fiddle about and see if I can get them on the computer.
The pictures still make it look too orange, it really does look more bright red than orange but you'll just have to take my word for that, maybe it'll look better outside in the sun on a nice green rally field Laughing

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Thu Dec 20 2012, 20:44

It actually looks more red in your pics, maybe because it was daylight outside at the time.

It is looking good though, I'm very pleased with the finish.

Oh yes, & I managed to repair that scalpel handle I broke whilst scraping paint out of holes, so I didn't need to buy another set! Oh well, you can never have too many scalpel sets. Very Happy

Now, where's that Briggs & Stratton thread..... scratch study

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Fri Dec 21 2012, 12:09

I've just noticed that is sure one big chunk of iron work to hold the air cleaner in place. Shocked It doesn't look orange to me more pink then orange. Looking good no matter what the colour is Laughing Laughing Laughing good job chaps.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Fri Dec 21 2012, 13:05

stationary stu wrote:I've just noticed that is sure one big chunk of iron work to hold the air cleaner in place. Shocked
Stu.

Funny you should mention that Stu, there is supposed to be a bearing block on top of that piece of metal, which holds the cooling fan for the radiator. I'm hoping to be able to bolt something on there for the fan, maybe with some shims for belt tension, depends what we can get our hands on.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Fri Dec 21 2012, 21:46

Sectional belt should sort the tensioning problem out.

Matt, you posted a picture of the engine with flywheel on facebook, did you know you can get pictures from facebook and upload them onto your photobucket account? You should see the option when you go to upload new pics.

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sat Dec 22 2012, 12:52

nutgone wrote:
stationary stu wrote:I've just noticed that is sure one big chunk of iron work to hold the air cleaner in place. Shocked
Stu.

Funny you should mention that Stu, there is supposed to be a bearing block on top of that piece of metal, which holds the cooling fan for the radiator. I'm hoping to be able to bolt something on there for the fan, maybe with some shims for belt tension, depends what we can get our hands on.

That explains alot Nuts Laughing Laughing Laughing I didn't know that this engine was originally rad cooled.
Looking forward to round two the sorting out and fitting of the rad. should be plenty of head scratching and discussion when you start to fit it.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Sat Dec 22 2012, 19:00

There's already been plenty of head scratching Stu and there's gonna be a hell of a lot more! Shocked

There seems to be quite a few bits and bobs like holes and studs poking out around the engine for mounting the rad, we just need to marry them up with the threaded holes on the sides of the Mini rad and figure out what to do from there. I'm already on the scrounge for any useful looking bits of metal wherever I can find them.

Another matter is the petrol tank. These were remote mounted on the original fuel bowser units so my best guess there will be to mount it on the trolley somehow. Also on the trolley I would like to permanently mount whatever this thing is going to drive, more than likely it will be the modern generator I am trying to sort out, unless I can find a nice centrifugal pump in the meantime but a genny would be more useful to me.

Oh yes, lets not forget the exhaust Wink

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sat Dec 22 2012, 19:44

I can't do head scratching at the moment, as I'm a bit bruised where the Scott fell on me last night.

I'm losing patience anyway, so best I stay out of the workshop for tonight, or something's going to get damaged.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Dec 23 2012, 12:32

Nuts we don't want you worrying and scratching your head as you'll just end up with a splinter in your finger. lol! lol! lol! lol!

Sounds as if you need a break Matt, have a day or two off, everything will be looking better after a short break and your batteries will be re-charged again.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Dec 23 2012, 12:34

Ian is it not possable to mount the petrol tank beside the rad so you still have some height so the fuel can run a bit easier.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Mon Dec 24 2012, 22:20

Stu, I was thinking of mounting it on stands, maybe above the generator or on some wheelbarrow type handles as I'm thinking of taking two wheels off the trolley and doing it wheelbarrow style (can't believe I just said that last bit Rolling Eyes ). That should give plenty of fall for the petrol.
The rad is mounted above the flywheel so that's going to cause enough stability issues as it is, don't think I'd want to add more weight there.

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Mon Dec 24 2012, 22:54

OK, got some pics for you. I've gone a bit mad & painted the horse-shoe magnet section of the magneto in blackboard paint & polished it up with grate polish. I also gave the rest of the mag a quick polish-up. Now, let's see if I can do this....

OK, so the hosting thing doesn't work then, you'll have to wait for me to upload it to photobucket.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Mon Dec 24 2012, 23:24

here you go....

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sat Feb 09 2013, 23:31

I got some quick pics of this one whilst loading it into my dad's car to take back to Ian's place (when I say take back there, it's never actually been there in the first place, it came here "temporarily" when he first bought it & never left Laughing )....

Back on the trolley....

Quickly put the flywheel back in place....

All Ian's got to do now is get a rad & fan, fix them on, then put a genny next to it. Talk about having all the hard work done for you.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn on Sun Feb 10 2013, 01:30

looking better than the last time i looked on here mate
well done coming allong now
kev

kevjhnsn
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Sun Feb 10 2013, 11:52

With a bit of alteration there is actually plenty of room on that trolley to fit the genny I've got for it. The rad has to go above the flywheel because that's where the belt drive for the fan is and the long shaft coming out of the drive side will have a double V belt pulley on it to drive the generator and another, single V belt pulley which I am going to make into a rope start (the handle start is bloody useless and quite dangerous to be honest!).

The main problem I have then is where the hell does the exhaust go? It can't really go out either side because you have belts on both sides. I can see this exhaust becoming a problem Mad

EDIT: I wonder if I can turn the engine round the other way, I may have to have a tinker with it today and see what I can come up with.

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Feb 10 2013, 12:18

Sounds as if it's going to give you a few headaches before you get this one finished Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good luck with the rad and exhaust I'm sure you'll think of something.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on Fri May 16 2014, 20:44

Did you get this one running in the finish?
I have got one like it, but I've not started messing with it yet: I don't even know what mix of fuel she wants...

Hairyloon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Mon May 19 2014, 12:13

Hairyloon wrote:Did you get this one running in the finish?
I have got one like it, but I've not started messing with it yet: I don't even know what mix of fuel she wants...

Sadly we never did start it, Ian took it back round to his place & it's still buried in his garage somewhere. There's no reason it shouldn't start though, it had a spark & very good compression. It's well stored & should stay in good condition, but seems a shame not to finish it. He did get hold of a couple of radiators, but will still need to spend a few more quid to get it finished & set up as he wants it. (& I will have to do some welding for him too).

Since doing this one I have done another Stuart engine, a P6 marine one with forward & reverse gearbox. It took me ages to do as the barrel was cracked. These Stuarts tend to suffer with very poor quality castings, but the industrial ones seem to fair better as they never have to suffer raw water cooling. I sold the P6 to someone with a small boat, by the time I had finished it it was just too good to spend the rest of its life chugging away on a rally field. There is a resto thread here somewhere.

I also have almost 2 complete R3 engines, which I intend to make into one good one. I started a thread on that too, but it has been put way down the list as I had/have other "life" problems to contend with.

But I have amassed quite a collection of spares, both for the smaller R3 & for the P5/P6 engines (they were practically identical engines), so if you need anything, or have any questions, then by all means get in touch. I still have email notifications set up for this site, so I can be contacted by email or PM. I will come back & carry on my resto threads when I eventually do some more restoring. I would like to get the little R3 done & I still have a big old Bamford engine to put back together & get going.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 08:51

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top