www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ian's Stuart Turner P5XC

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ian's Stuart Turner P5XC

Post by Hairyloon on Mon May 19 2014, 20:19

nutgone wrote:But I have amassed quite a collection of spares, both for the smaller R3 & for the P5/P6 engines (they were practically identical engines), so if you need anything, or have any questions, then by all means get in touch.
Well the first question is: what mix of fuel does it want? And would you happen to have a surplus starting handle?
I'm not seriously expecting it to start without a load of work, but I do feel that I should at least try. Wink

Hairyloon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Mon May 19 2014, 22:06

Sorry, I completely forgot to tell you the fuel ratio. If you use a good quality 2-stroke oil you should mix it at 50:1 for these. I would go a little stronger if it's just been stripped & rebuilt, although it's not strictly necessary if everything has been oiled on reassembly. But the Stuart manual gives a mix which roughly equates to 50:1, so that's what it takes.

Starting handles is something I have in abundance. I'm not sure if I have ones which fit the P5X range of engines though as they had a slightly different starter, but I will have a look through when I'm able. Things are in a bit of a state here right now as I'm getting my 2 show engines ready for the first rally of the season this coming weekend. I have let time creep up on me, not realising it was quite so soon, & now I'm in a hurry to get everything in show order (the daily cries of "you've had months to sort all this out!" aren't helping either). All my Stuart stuff is well buried at the back of the workshop, but it's all together & (for once) I know where it all is!  Very Happy 

I believe these engines originally had an extended starter, so many may have been "adapted" over the years. A picture would be great, so I know roughly what I'm looking for in a handle, I've had a quick browse of your posts & haven't seen any pics, perhaps add some to your welcome thread or PM me for my email address & send them direct to me.

As far as stripping these engines down goes, they're not the easiest of engines. Although Stuart had some trouble with poor quality cast iron (not on all of their engines though) they were quite good engineers & their engines are well designed & very accurately put together. Certain things need doing in the right order, so I would say, unless you really want to, or really have to, leave the bottom end alone at least. If you take off the head or barrel make sure nothing can get into the crank case, keep it all nice & clean inside. Top end is no problem, & they usually benefit from a good de-coke & a quick go with some wet & dry paper in the bore.

I can probably link you to some online manuals if needs be, & can certainly let you know where to find paper copies if you want them. I've got some paper manuals here so could scan & email pages if necessary.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on Tue May 20 2014, 01:14

nutgone wrote:Sorry, I completely forgot to tell you the fuel ratio. If you use a good quality 2-stroke oil you should mix it at 50:1 for these. I would go a little stronger if it's just been stripped & rebuilt, although it's not strictly necessary if everything has been oiled on reassembly. But the Stuart manual gives a mix which roughly equates to 50:1, so that's what it takes.
I'm surprised: that's the same as my chainsaw which is a different animal altogether.

Starting handles is something I have in abundance. I'm not sure if I have ones which fit the P5X range of engines though as they had a slightly different starter, but I will have a look through when I'm able.
Really don't fret. It is not high on my priority list and if I really get the urge to play with it then the first thing I've got to do is bolt it down to something. Wink

A picture would be great, so I know roughly what I'm looking for in a handle...
I shall do that on the morrow.

I can probably link you to some online manuals if needs be, & can certainly let you know where to find paper copies if you want them. I've got some paper manuals here so could scan & email pages if necessary.
That would be marvellous if you could. Thank you.

Hairyloon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Tue May 20 2014, 11:12

I thought the oil ratio was lean as well, but it's all to do with the way the bottom end is built. These are entirely roller bearings, so are fine with the small amount of oil.

Most old 2 strokes were designed to run on engine oil mixes anyway, so the usual old vintage British 16:1 mix, with today's modern oils can be reduced to 25:1 with no ill effects. But I wouldn't go less than that on a bushed crank shaft. These were 50:1 even back then.

I tend to mix slightly heavy on the oil anyway. Usually adding the correct amount for 5 litres of fuel to about a fiver's worth (which is more like 4 litres, maybe less, these days).

Will see what I can do with the manuals. I belong to a Yahoo group which has many stored on line, which can be downloaded.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon on Sat May 24 2014, 15:54

Hairyloon wrote:
nutgone wrote:A picture would be great, so I know roughly what I'm looking for in a handle...
I shall do that on the morrow.
Sorry, the camera failed to work and now I am away for a bit... Will do it for you soon.

Hairyloon
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Wed May 28 2014, 16:10

No probs. I've been busy with rally stuff anyway. Will keep an eye on this thread though.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 18:36

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top