www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A Wolseley at last!!!!

+5
blackvanman
Matth92
Foden
Ianhw77k
kevjhnsn
9 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 5 Empty Re: A Wolseley at last!!!!

Post by blackvanman Fri Dec 21 2012, 20:24

Getting on now, bit by bit, been getting some ear ache over it from wife though so been a little held back Very Happy

With suspicions noted I filled her with watter tonight, as I suspected the water jacket cover plate leaked Sad the inside face of the cover is heavily pitted and on further inspection has low spots on the gasket face on 2 sides. For now, in my early prep for an upcoming run (I hope), I have flipped it over so that the smooth outside face is now the gasket face and there are no leaks. I may cut a new cover later but for now I may just fill the face and paint it Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Dec 21 2012, 20:54

Thats a common problem Andy .

In the end i just made a new plate for mine .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Dec 21 2012, 21:07

matt86 wrote:Thats a common problem Andy .

In the end i just made a new plate for mine .

matt

Yep, it will probably happen when I find a bit of plate, been out there again, still holding water for now, but that could all change with a little heat.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 22 2012, 12:40

lol! lol! lol! Andy in trouble with her in doors that's going to cost you big this Christmas.
Can you not get away with 2 gaskets on and some silicon instant gasket until you make a plate later in the year. Com'on stop messing and get her started. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Dec 22 2012, 18:04

stationary stu wrote: lol! lol! lol! Andy in trouble with her in doors that's going to cost you big this Christmas.
Can you not get away with 2 gaskets on and some silicon instant gasket until you make a plate later in the year. Com'on stop messing and get her started. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Stu.
was considering that Stu, but decided there was probably more merit in flipping the plate over for now (plus I won't have to clean the silicone off).

Still holding water this morning, tank on, line on, cut gasket for round cover and fitted, dragged her out into the air......
half hour of winding over, puffs of smoke, back pops, flames from the exhaust port, 3 buckets of sweat and a re-coup at kfc with the little man.

First real observation is I need a trolley lol, have the wood here ready just need to sort some wheels so watch this space Smile, once I have the trolley sorted she won't be trying to spin on me as I turn her over Very Happy, then I'll get a second pair of hands on board as two nutters cranking is better than one Smile Then I can go through everything (mostly the timing) one step at a time and only be half as knackered Very Happy

Still, its all progress:

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 5 8296816917_ffa6683841

Can any body please tell me how many turns out their speed adjuster is set?

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Dec 22 2012, 18:55

It never made much difference with my old one, but it's far too long ago for me to remember where it was set.

it seems strange to me, these were always such easy starters, it was probably our easiest starting engine, along with the Tarpen (the Douglas was always a complete & utter bitch).

I think you'd be right to double check the timing. it's supposed to be 2 strokes which are difficult starters, I've just had my Scott down to the last nut & bolt & it started 3rd pull!

(sorry, don't mean to rub it in santa )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat Dec 22 2012, 20:14

The mag should 'impulse' when the crank keyway is at BDC, just turn the speed screw about halfway in (or out) which should enable it to run. Wolseley's and Ruston PT's can be sods to start if they dont go straight away, they flood easily and then they never will start until they dry out. I now just fill the float chamber and then turn the fuel off until the engine fires up, saves a lot of mither with the things! Have you tried a new short reach plug as I have had a couple of duff ones straight from the packet?

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Dec 23 2012, 00:56

Foden wrote:The mag should 'impulse' when the crank keyway is at BDC, just turn the speed screw about halfway in (or out) which should enable it to run. Wolseley's and Ruston PT's can be sods to start if they dont go straight away, they flood easily and then they never will start until they dry out. I now just fill the float chamber and then turn the fuel off until the engine fires up, saves a lot of mither with the things! Have you tried a new short reach plug as I have had a couple of duff ones straight from the packet?

Pete.

Hi Pete,
had a b6hs in there, swapped it out for a long reach BLN as the short reach was 1/2" up the hole, if anything she did pop and flash more with the long reach (I know that the long reach won't clash due to looking at it when head was off). Yes she does impulse at TDC (keyway bdc). Will bash a trolley up and let the hole in my finger improve then have another crack at her Smile

Andy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 23 2012, 12:08

It's always easier to fit the engine on to a trolley even a temp one makes life a lot easier and the engine will stat where you want it. I learned the hard way when I was messing with a Lister D in the shed it started a lot easier then I'd expect it too and tried to hop out of the shed.
It does sound as if you need to check the timing out and rather then swinging as fast as you can see if you can use the impulse to get it to fire.
May be a case of belting it to another engine until you have it sorted.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Dec 23 2012, 18:16

The short reach plug SHOULD be halfway up the hole Andy! It is like that to help prevent fouling.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Dec 23 2012, 18:30

Foden wrote:The short reach plug SHOULD be halfway up the hole Andy! It is like that to help prevent fouling.

Pete.
From what I can find, wd 1&2 should be short reach, and wd8 should be long reach stationary parts list a b4h 12.5mm reach for wd 1&2 and bpr6es 19mm reach, for wd8, can anyone confirm with another source?
As far as I know, the head is the same on the wd 2 & 8 (1 being smooth hopper).

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Dec 23 2012, 18:33

Ah sorry, thought it was a WD2 you had! Embarassed

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Dec 23 2012, 19:17

Foden wrote:Ah sorry, thought it was a WD2 you had! Embarassed

Pete.
ah ok, do you by any chance know why the plug change even though the head are (I believe) the same?
Andy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 24 2012, 12:21

Andy I'll try to remember and see which plug I have in my WD8.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Dec 26 2012, 22:01

got 5 min to myself tonight, went through the timing, note to self, just because the impulse goes clang at tdc, doesn't mean somebody hasn't played with the points cam!!! DOH!!!!!! it was firing a bit before bdc!
will try for a run again tomorrow, but will probably stick her on a trolley first Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Dec 26 2012, 23:04

blackvanman wrote:got 5 min to myself tonight, went through the timing, note to self, just because the impulse goes clang at tdc, doesn't mean somebody hasn't played with the points cam!!! DOH!!!!!! it was firing a bit before bdc!
will try for a run again tomorrow, but will probably stick her on a trolley first Smile

Personally I've never liked timing engines to the impulse, always either jam it up for timing or wind the whole thing backwards & time it that way.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Dec 26 2012, 23:57

nutgone wrote:
blackvanman wrote:got 5 min to myself tonight, went through the timing, note to self, just because the impulse goes clang at tdc, doesn't mean somebody hasn't played with the points cam!!! DOH!!!!!! it was firing a bit before bdc!

Personally I've never liked timing engines to the impulse, always either jam it up for timing or wind the whole thing backwards & time it that way.

ah, now you see the manual tells you how to time her up by bringing the keyway uppermost (bdc) then wind the impulse to the stop then back from the stop until the dogs line up, I did that but failed to do the next step (by wrongly assuming that as I had not touched it, nobody else had) which is to then confirm the timing by checking that the points just begin to open at tdc Embarassed

Oh well, you live you learn Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 00:03

With the one i had i timed it up by the manual , and i timed it up 1st time no problem , its over 2 years ago now so dont ask me how to do it ... If you need me to have a look for the book i can .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 00:24

matt86 wrote:With the one i had i timed it up by the manual , and i timed it up 1st time no problem , its over 2 years ago now so dont ask me how to do it ... If you need me to have a look for the book i can .

matt

blackvanman wrote:
ah, now you see the manual tells you how to time her up by bringing the keyway uppermost (bdc) then wind the impulse to the stop then back from the stop until the dogs line up, I did that but failed to do the next step (by wrongly assuming that as I had not touched it, nobody else had) which is to then confirm the timing by checking that the points just begin to open at tdc Embarassed

Oh well, you live you learn Very Happy

got the manual on pdf matt as above Smile She is bang on now cheers Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 01:49

Errrrr, bang on is the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out having a smoke just now, couldn't resist winding it over now the timing is correct, sh1t me she went first flick!!!!!!
Happy bunny, unlike the neighbours probably Embarassed santa bounce bounce bounce

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 10:50

good news Andy , was the flick on the flywheel by hand ???

If so i am lead to believe that the rings will want replacing soon as they are not meant to be started by hand . you could do that with mine and when it was under load it started to squeak a little . Which was a ring squeak .

same with most engines are not intended to be started by hand . but American engines / open cranks is different design .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 27 2012, 10:53

blackvanman wrote:Errrrr, bang on is the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out having a smoke just now, couldn't resist winding it over now the timing is correct, sh1t me she went first flick!!!!!!
Happy bunny, unlike the neighbours probably Embarassed santa bounce bounce bounce

Bloody good on you, I thought it was a bit odd having starting troubles with one of these, the WD2 I had started easier than any Lister D (although mechanically I think I kind of prefer the Lister D).

Lovely when one sparks back into life again.

EDIT: I just spotted the time of that last post. Bet you were in trouble for that one! Embarassed

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 11:08

matt86 wrote:good news Andy , was the flick on the flywheel by hand ???

If so i am lead to believe that the rings will want replacing soon as they are not meant to be started by hand . you could do that with mine and when it was under load it started to squeak a little . Which was a ring squeak .

same with most engines are not intended to be started by hand . but American engines / open cranks is different design .

matt
no matt, it was from the handle, I've just re-ring'd her as well remember Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Thu Dec 27 2012, 11:27

matt86 wrote:good news Andy , was the flick on the flywheel by hand ???

matt

Sounds a bit weird to me, why shouldn't you start an engine from the flywheel by hand? I'd be interested to know the mechanical/scientific explanation Question

Blimey, well past 1 in the morning and you go starting engines Andy! Shocked Still, at least now you know she goes, well done Wink
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:03

here's the very quick vid I took, yes I do know there is not enough water in her, it was only a small amount for testing I put in the other day Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82040255@N08/8314296296/

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next