www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Another Milking Unit

+3
Ianhw77k
nutgone
Matth92
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Milking Unit

Post by Matth92 Tue Dec 04 2012, 23:00

Foden wrote:If you were carting that lot in a Pilot then you were over the limit Matt, I have less than a ton of payload available running at 3.5 tonnes before I start loading it and myself, the missus and dog plus a tank of fuel will eat into that without any engine stuff and clothes and food. Plus how can you stack stuff safely without scratching paint, you can hardly pile engines and pumps on top of one another and Pilot floor space isnt that large. I weigh the van when loaded and make sure that I have a safety margin of at least a few hundredweight to keep VOSA happy.

Pete.

Yes probably a bit touch and go! does yours have less than a ton payload then? most Pilots are 800kg payload, but my one was an unusual one being 1200kg, but wouldnt fancy 1200 in a pilot, would barely move! No dulux was harmed in the process because I dont have any on any of my gear Very Happy Wont do it again in a hurry anyway!

Not to mention my large clothing range I take with me!

Usually have all the said milking stuff, and just the one engine!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Dec 04 2012, 23:18

Well my 400 weighs 2.48 tonnes as it stands and grosses at 3.50 tonnes so I can carry just about a tonne. Me and the wife plus dog will put another 200 kilos on it and then there is 12 gallons of fuel, it all adds up you know! Smile My van has also been shortened inside by moving the partition to the rear of the sliding door, that means we can get a toilet plus a cooker and the wifes wheelchair in the front to make a day van but it also means that I only have 6 feet of floor space at the rear.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Dec 04 2012, 23:20

Foden wrote:Well my 400 weighs 2.48 tonnes as it stands and grosses at 3.50 tonnes so I can carry just about a tonne. Me and the wife plus dog will put another 200 kilos on it and then there is 12 gallons of fuel, it all adds up you know! Smile My van has also been shortened inside by moving the partition to the rear of the sliding door, that means we can get a toilet plus a cooker and the wifes wheelchair in the front to make a day van but it also means that I only have 6 feet of floor space at the rear.

Pete.

Ah right! Gotta get a bulkhead and that for the Vito before the season starts!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Dec 05 2012, 00:56

Matth92 wrote:Right, to begin with you will need a Vacuum pump, I have the williams one above, and a 1950s Alfa Laval No9 which was my grandads, and was very rough when I recovered it, silencer, waste trap all rusted away, waste trap casting broken, and pump seized solid.

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 DSCF1062

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 DSCF1064

And after a young eager Bandit had sorted it all out and got his best dulux on it.....
Another Milking Unit - Page 2 Listrr

must be a few years ago now!!
Another Milking Unit - Page 2 070

Anyway, you need some kind of framework for the vacuum to run through, the framework on the alfa laval is 3/4 BSP gas pipe, and is 1'' BSP on the Williams, the Alfa Laval has a little spigot coming out for a pipe to go on, while the pipe screws onto the pump on the Williams, the only bit I can see trouble getting is the joiner that connects the framework to the green elbow on the pump, which you can just see in the photo below on the right, but you could just use a BSP joining collar I suppose

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 002-2

Next thing you will need is a waste trap, this is in case the collection bucket overflows, so milk does not get into the pump, so the vacuum travels through the trap, back to the pump, the one on the Alfa is cast and was cracked, but the one on the Williams is cast aluminium, the Alfa waste trap lid also houses the safety valve, designed to release if the vacuum gets too high, the one on the Williams as you can see is just a weight, that the vacuum lifts up if it gets too high, which dumps the vacuum pressure, if you have a lathe etc, you could easily make one of them
there needs to be a seal between the waste trap jar and the lid, made of rubber, and the handle of the jar goes over the top of the lid, and clamps it on, can always bend the handle up or put a plastic grip on the handle to pull it down a bit tighter, like I have done on the williams Embarassed
Another Milking Unit - Page 2 003-2

Next you will need a couple of fittings to house the tap and pressure gauge, they are a T piece with the threaded part coming out the side usually 3/8 BSP, ideally you will have two, one for a vacuum gauge (Which I dont have on either) and the proper vacuum tap in the other which the pipe for the bucket pushes on, you can then terminate the framework with a BSP bung. The Alfa Laval one has another leg coming down for support, the leg is sealed inside at the top so the vacuum cant draw in air, on this leg I now have an extantable foot that comes down to support it, I have now got rid of the Dulux, and it is now paired with my WX11, there is a thread tapped through the side of the support leg, which a bolt with a wingnut on goes through, so you can adjust it to the right height then lock it:

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 027_zps29946b78

You then need a length of pipe to go from the tap to the bucket, it needs be thick walled rubber hose, otherwise the vacuum will suck it flat, and needs to be about 3ft long, to go to the outlet of the lid of the bucket, the lid also contains the Pulsator unit, which does not work on mine, and they rarely do! The idea is it makes the vacuum pulse, to roughly the same rhythm as the cows heartbeat to help old Buttercup relax Very Happy You will then need another 2ft or so of hose to go from the bucket to the clusters, the little black box on the lid is the pulsator, and on the Alfa lid, the side with the little glass window is the inlet, I cannot remember how the pipework on the pulsator goes , but as mine doesnt work it doest really matter, do have a couple of spare Alfa Laval pulsators and spiders here btw....
Another Milking Unit - Page 2 PICT0191

You then need another foot or two of thick hose to the spider, which has 2 sets of 4 pipes coming out, the larger 4 pipes connect to the pipe that comes out of the top of each teat, and then the smaller 4 connect to the pipes coming out of the side of the teats, which I do not have a picture of atm!

You can always chuck a few other bits out in front of it as well, Like I have a Lister Cream separator, Gascoigne milk recorder scales, milk bottles (full of course) a very tacky wooden souvenir milk gauge, where you move the cows tail to show how many pints you want, butter pats, vacuum clippers etc...

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 Dscf0713

Another Milking Unit - Page 2 35510_4170525786586_296165517_n

i remember that young bandit..seem a long time back matt....were has the time gone young man....lol

mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Wed Dec 05 2012, 20:32

I havent aged well!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:08

Matth92 wrote:I havent aged well!

None of us have and once you reach 50 it's all downhill after that so get out and enjoy yourself now, get big, heavy engines coz it won't be long before your looking at Villiers, JAPs n BSA's Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by dursley dog Sun Dec 09 2012, 14:13

Here's a few bits of my dairy display that hasn't been out for a few years, but it still here
Al
[IMG]httpAnother Milking Unit - Page 2 Listermilking008://Another Milking Unit - Page 2 Listermilking007/albums/a498/Keytoken/Listermilking009.jpg[/IMG]Another Milking Unit - Page 2 Listermilking009
dursley dog
dursley dog
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Sun Dec 09 2012, 14:44

Very nice! I have a Lister Seperator like that, and a blow butter churn like the little one as well

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 10 2012, 11:02

That's a lot of stuff to carry about from one show to the next, I think it's the reason Pete keeps travelling from one rally to the next so he doesn't need to unload his van Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Very nice exhibit well done al.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by dursley dog Mon Dec 10 2012, 12:35

Well Stu,
That why I haven't took it to a rally for several years, but I will try this coming rally season because when its set up it looks OK. One of the bucket units in the picture Pete (Foden) has had for a while. I still can't find a Villiers Mk 10 for the Fullwood Little Midget set. I have a nice Mk 12 I will swap for one.
Al
dursley dog
dursley dog
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Dec 10 2012, 12:53

You beat me to it Al, I thought that bucket looked familiar! Are you sure that your Midget had a Mk 10 fitted as mine has the later C12 which is what is shown in the parts list as well?

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dursley dog Mon Dec 10 2012, 13:10

Pete,
I took the base to a friend who had a C12 the engine wouldn't fit under the vacuum pipe and the engine base was to wide so the holes didn't match up. As you know they all seem to vary a bit.
Al
dursley dog
dursley dog
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Mon Dec 10 2012, 20:05

stationary stu wrote:That's a lot of stuff to carry about from one show to the next, I think it's the reason Pete keeps travelling from one rally to the next so he doesn't need to unload his van Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Very nice exhibit well done al.

Stu.

These Dairy displays are a curse, mine stays all in the van all the time except the engine itself.....takes a long time to pack up too, but I love it

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 13:17

dursley dog wrote:Pete,
I took the base to a friend who had a C12 the engine wouldn't fit under the vacuum pipe and the engine base was to wide so the holes didn't match up. As you know they all seem to vary a bit.
Al

I'm not sure on this but is there different Mk12 engines is the C12 the same?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2