www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Enfield diesel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enfield diesel

Post by RAB on Sat Oct 03 2009, 15:36

details to follow

RAB
Admin

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Enfield diesel

Post by Statman on Sat Oct 03 2009, 16:34

No History Known

Although its a 6hp around 1500Rpm

Many uses for it Marine,Rollers Generators etc

Adam

Statman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 03 2009, 10:05

the Enfield diesel engines were built by the Enfield Industrial Engine company, a sub-division of Royal Enfield, the engine adam owns, is a Mk3 Derivative of the VS1 engine, variable speed from 750-1500rpm, producing around 7bhp at 1500 rpm. unusually for the period these engines were built (1948 to 1950's) there was no water cooled option, which was a popular option with manufacturers like lister, Petter and Coventry Victor, so this is effectively the prototype for the modern aircooled diesel.

the designs and concepts used in these engines were featured in other Enfield engines, especially the 180 degree V Twin diesels.

Adams engine, by virtue of its Mk3 status is likely to be late 1950's. i by good fortune, also own a VS1, though my example is an early mk1 version.

Paul Cool

Back to top Go down

180 degree V twin diesel

Post by pacemaker500 on Wed Jun 16 2010, 18:33

Hi,

I think you mean horizontally opposed, not V twin (i.e. like BMW boxer motorcycle engine but an oiler). I hope I have not read your post wrong.

I have posted a picture of a HO MK IV I found recently and would love to know more........much more. it's quite a beast for a 15HP unit. Whoever said these were the lightest diesel engines made should try to move it about..........If i get this oiler running I will be thrilled.

Robert

pacemaker500

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 17 2010, 13:25

pacemaker500 wrote:Hi,

I think you mean horizontally opposed, not V twin (i.e. like BMW boxer motorcycle engine but an oiler). I hope I have not read your post wrong.

I have posted a picture of a HO MK IV I found recently and would love to know more........much more. it's quite a beast for a 15HP unit. Whoever said these were the lightest diesel engines made should try to move it about..........If i get this oiler running I will be thrilled.

Robert

Hi Robert,

180 degree v twin, thats what i meant. boxer engines are usually two "cylinder engines with 4 pistons with the pistons firing towards each others.

Paul Very Happy

Back to top Go down

enfield twin d

Post by ferrouse on Sun Nov 20 2011, 00:00

hello everyone, im new to this forum but going to have a go anyway, ive just aquired a enfield diesel flat twin " HO2 Mk4 td/9911" its going to take some work to get it going again but i was just wondering if any one might know the age of a mk4 or maybe where i might be able to go to find the age, its a big old thing, used to power a saw bench in its working past but has since spent many years sat in a field waiting for me to come allong and give it a new home, any help would be very much appreciated, thanks Question

ferrouse

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Nov 20 2011, 10:50

Hi and welcome to the forum, you've picked a tough engine to date I don't know if anyone has Enfield records that could help. Give it a few days and see if any other members can help in your search.

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotty1 on Sun Feb 24 2013, 07:59

I got a Enfield Diesel VS1 Mk2 - the guy I got if off started if for me,, now that im home I cant get it going,, anyone tell me how to start it,,

Scotty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Sun Feb 24 2013, 09:21

Have a look for a primer. It should be somewhere near the inlet manifold. If there is one, it will need a squirt or two of engine oil down it. If you can't find one then try removing the air filter and putting a couple of squirts of oil into the inlet that way. Then you may want to "bounce" the engine on compression up to about 10 times to get the injector to pump some extra fuel into the chamber.
After that just go through the normal starting procedure but make sure the fuel is switched on throughout the whole procedure.

I know I haven't started an Enfield myself but this is what I did to start my Petter AA1 and it worked every time and is a lot better than using that bloody awful easy start stuff!

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Sun Feb 24 2013, 11:32

Scotty what is it your having problems with?

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sun Feb 24 2013, 16:16

Just reading back through this thread. 180deg V twin??? WTF???

There is no such thing & boxer engines don't have opposed pistons, they have opposed cylinders. I'm surprised that one got by without some debate!

Correct term is a horizontally opposed twin cylinder, AKA a flat twin. (& BMW stole their design from Douglas motorcycles around the time of WW1)

Also the Enfield company had nothing whatsoever to do with Royal Enfield, certainly there were two very different motorcycle companies at one time, they weren't even based in the same area as far as I know.

Anyway, that's all immaterial now. I love these engines, I almost bought one of the sloping single cylinder models, can't believe I let it go, & it only fetched £20! Embarassed (I didn't buy it because I thought my brother & my dad would say "you've got enough engines", when I showed them it they said "WHAT! I can't believe you didn't buy it!" Bloody typical! Rolling Eyes )

Show us some pics of your Enfield, I would love to see them. Also, try the engine oil in the inlet trick, it usually works a treat. You need to get it as close to the inlet valve as possible, as it needs to get in there & coat the barrel (it helps seal the rings & increase compression for starting). Also, it won't harm the engine, like easy-start will.

Best of luck cheers

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotty1 on Sun Feb 24 2013, 19:51

ok there is a rotating lever, and was told that its the Start - Stop - run,,,, Tried it in several positions and all I get is some from the exhaust, and no go,,,

Scotty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k on Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:23

You could also try a bit of heat on the inlet manifold and cylinder head. A hair drier or heat gun might do the trick or if you are careful, a blowtorch on a low setting.
Some of these old diesels don't like this cold weather.

Failing that I would say your problem is more technical, if clearing fuel lines/filters and bleeding it all in properly doesn't work, you will be on to injectors and pumps, at which point I'm afraid I'll have to say, "I'm out!"

Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:29

I would be a bit dubious about disturbing any of the fuel system myself. Bleeding these old diesels is never as simple as it sounds.

Has it run out of fuel or has any air been allowed to enter the fuel system at any point? It might be worth looking into that.

What you really need to know is which position is start, which is run & which is stop.

Where abouts are you Scotty? Maybe someone on here who lives close.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Enfeild 85 VS 1

Post by STEVE C on Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:02

Hi to start the engine you need to locate the stop start cam this is located on the right hand side of the engine looking from the front, below the fuel injection pump, To start the engine ensure the cam is free to move you should be able to move the fuel rack backwards & forwards if the cam is in the start possition then holding the decompression lever down then turn the engine over at approx 120 rev per minute then release the decompression lever and it should start, To stop the engine pull the cam up so it pushes the governor lever forwards and locates in the cut out on the cam. is your engine hand start or starter motor? these engines can be a swine to start by hand, seen a chief stoker attempt this once he was never the same again. Some engines have a cold start device fitted a hand pump on top of rocker cover with a small pipe to top of oil bath air cleaner this uses ether as a cold starting aid
hope this is of some help
Steve c

Last edited by STEVE C on Sun Feb 24 2013, 22:38; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added imfo)

STEVE C

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Feb 25 2013, 11:47

Not sure about this but I've started diesels where you move the rack in the fuel pump. One way the rack goes to extra fuel the opposite way is stop and all controlled by the rack movement. Some engines have just open/shut valve but I don't think it's that as there on modern engines. The ones I've worked on I've never had problems with so can't say a lot just once the rack is in the start position (extra fuel) it normally stays in place till the engine starts then it kicks it back into place (run) Some when in extra fuel mode it can be took out by moving the throttle lever (if one is fitted) Sorry I can be of much more help.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Mon Feb 25 2013, 12:00

STEVE C wrote:Hi to start the engine you need to locate the stop start cam this is located on the right hand side of the engine looking from the front, below the fuel injection pump, To start the engine ensure the cam is free to move you should be able to move the fuel rack backwards & forwards if the cam is in the start possition then holding the decompression lever down then turn the engine over at approx 120 rev per minute then release the decompression lever and it should start, To stop the engine pull the cam up so it pushes the governor lever forwards and locates in the cut out on the cam. is your engine hand start or starter motor? these engines can be a swine to start by hand, seen a chief stoker attempt this once he was never the same again. Some engines have a cold start device fitted a hand pump on top of rocker cover with a small pipe to top of oil bath air cleaner this uses ether as a cold starting aid
hope this is of some help
Steve c

Hi Steve C, this is exactly the kind of info we love to see here. A big welcome to the forum from me cheers & thanks for the input.

I hope it helps this person get their engine started. (doesn't make much sense to me, but that's because I've never been close up to one of these engines before).

Cheers. cheers

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers on Sun Jun 16 2013, 13:26

[img]https://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/17/79/38/14[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=133&u=17793814]/dsc00020.jpg[/img][/url]

Hi, All.
I was browsing this thread, and found some really interesting conversations going on. I actually purchased a enfield engine earlier this year and was going to place a thread on here, but finding this one has made it easier, so I hope you all don't mind me hogging it for a while. The engine I have, is a Horizontal twin diesel, H02-MK4, serial no. TD9130. This is all the info I have at Present, and don't know much about it.
It is hard to turn over, and needs some lubrication in the cylinders. I have started removing some of the components, and am finding plenty of crap in the air intake, so more investigation is yet needed b4, I can even start to get it up and running..I am led to believe it was off a hay baler from the 50's era, but that is all I know. Here are some pic's of it as it stands. Also a couple of pic's of a trolly, ( courtesy of matt86) That I have refurbished cheers David.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Wed Jul 02 2014, 14:09

Looks like I finally got my hands on a VS1 as well. Just won one on eBay for £22.

It says it's a VS1 MK3, looks like it might be a sloper to me, but until I pick it up I won't know.

What I do know is, with a Tarpen in bits, a big belt drive grinder in bits, a 2nd Kohler 4 cylinder generator in bits & all the other projects I've got on right now, "someone" is not going to be impressed when I turn up with yet another engine project! Can't say I even really wanted it especially, just thought it was cheap. It'll be the first diesel stationary engine I've owned, but not the first I've worked on.

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

enfield model 100.

Post by boomrat123 on Thu Nov 27 2014, 18:23

hello.. i have what i beleive to be an enfield model 100 stationary engine coupled up to an allison gearbox....its due to go into a 21 foot fishing boat... anyone on here done the same thing> and whats this engine like to live with? lol....plus....anyone have any tips on starting the thing?
Very Happy Very Happy

boomrat123

Back to top Go down

starting an enfield model 100 twin

Post by boomrat123 on Thu Nov 27 2014, 18:33

can someone please send me a vid on how to start this engine... ive just bought one for the historic value to shove in my fishing boat....and i only have manged to locate a model 85 instruction booklet...lol...

boomrat123

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Thu Nov 27 2014, 20:02

Got any pics?
I may be able to point you in the direction of some classic marine forums, but otherwise I'm not too sure.
I'm not that familiar with the Enfield range, so a little more detail on the engine would be great (IE: single or twin? Horizontal, vertical, sloper or V? Size? Etc.)

nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 13:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top