www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

New member and lister D for restoration

+10
Raymond_Hopwood
Lewis MacRae
Smitty
andy1702
steve w
Foden
A Lister
blackvanman
Abes
matt86
14 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty Re: New member and lister D for restoration

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18 2013, 13:59

Your working well, fingers crossed for warmer weather so you can start top coating. I prefer to spray paint but that's my option, there's probably more work involved spray painting as your only adding very thin coats and need a few to build it up where as with a brush you can normally get a good finish with 2 coats and 1 maybe or 2 brushes to clean not taking your spray gun apart and having to clean every little part which sometimes takes longer to do then the actual painting.

Like Nuts says everyone to there own and do what you prefer not what someone else tells you to do because it was traditionally done that way.

Yes try and steer away from disagreements on here as it only causes more problems so if it looks as if any thread is getting out of hand it will be locked and/or offending messages deleted and we don't want that. A good forum is a happy forum so if you don't agree and you just want to push your opinions on everyone, cause disruption take a hike now to save upset later. There's a good feel in the forum lets keep it that way and don't let others come along and spoil it.

Sorry rant over.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty Re: New member and lister D for restoration

Post by nutgone Mon Mar 18 2013, 15:09

Well said Stu 👍

I never thought about the spray equipment cleaning, probably because every time I've sprayed I've used rattle-cans.

I always thought spraying was quite wasteful, but it's only thin coats, as you say, & since I started cleaning my brushes properly & treating them well I've seen just how much paint gets wasted every time you clean a brush (a surprising amount). So I don't think either way is more wasteful than the other in the end.

It's funny, what Stu says. When my brother & I meet up & one of us mentions a forum post, we always refer to this forum as "The Friendly Forum". The other forums get called all sorts of different names, but this one has always been the friendly one. :angel1:

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty Lister restoration

Post by biomed32uk Mon Mar 18 2013, 20:25

I will go with that one as well Stu, everyone here seems really friendly in the short while I have been here, everyone has their own opinions and ideas, and that has to be respected.

Paint colour, standard issue mid brunswick Lister green, really boring but trying to keep this one looking as it left the factory, especially as it the first. No pimp my lister on this one, perhaps as I am a true essex boy it should have blue lights round the bottom, twin go faster exhaust and some furry dice lol!

I also prefer to spray Stu, but you're right, the spraying is the quicker part and cleaning the gun takes ages, as well as masking the job up. I'm not a professional sprayer by any means, but I get a decent finish, its all in having the paint at the right consistency and knowing when to stop so the paint flows in and levels out, too much and it sags, plus a good strong light. I've got a nice little mini gravity gun, which was only a tenner on ebay but does a cracking job for what I use it for.

Back to the subject of paint whats around, Stationary engine parts and Craftmaster are the two I have found, does anyone have any experience of either ?. I sprayed my senior milling machine with Dacrylate Vehicle and Machinery enamel which is a synthetic single pack quick drying enamel, its been on there a year and is wearing well, seems tough and oil resistant, so I am of two minds whether to use that.

All the oil grooves in the timing casting are nice and clean, there was some dried oil in them but nothing seems to have suffered.

Managed to finish work early today so I have cleaned up the mag bracket half and primed that up, and filled the pits in the chain guard, smoothed in and primed that as well.

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Mar 18 2013, 22:16

I use Bradite ME53 (or is that ME35? I'll check), but I brush, so it might not work as well when sprayed (although you can spray with it). It's a proper tractor enamel & what I really like about it is that's it's not a super high gloss finish, so looks more the part (& doesn't dhow up imperfections as much). It's also very cheap, my local place does me a litre tin for about £12 (all in).

I've heard Stationary Engine Parts paint is a bit translucent & requires quite a few coats, I also think it's pretty expensive (I'm not their greatest fan though, they always seem to sting you for the postage).

Craftsmaster gets good reviews though, but your stuff you already use sounds good. You can get the codes for all these colours, so I reckon, if you've found a good paint, which you like, get on with & know how to use, then you might be just as well using that.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19 2013, 14:31

I'm the same as Nuts and won't pay the prices when there advertised for stationary engines or tractors as that pushes the prices up and from what I can see S.E. parts just buy in with there label on so it could be any cheap paint they sell who knows!!!
If you have a local paint supplier go there and ask for machine enamel. I don't think these are to bad a price off ebay but the postage kills it as if you can pick it up local for about a tenner a litre.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Machinery-Enamel-Paint-Kubota-Orange-1lt-/290298513589?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item439723c8b5

The best spray gun I've used was the cheap gun you get in the sets with the air pressure gauge, paraffin gun, hose etc I picked up one last year from Lidl and it was crap, I've not got a small spot gun which I'm going to try next, fingers crossed. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty New member and lister D for restoration

Post by biomed32uk Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:44

Well, I have ordered some paint, gone for some Tekaloid enamel.

Been doing some small stuff with the engine, sorted the chain guard out, filled the pits and got that primed.

I have decided that the cylinder head is just too far gone, its very badly corroded and has gone quite thin at the top, and a top suface for the gasket is almost non existant. I think most of the hopper had flaked off and was in the block, along with the foot. I purchased a good head, of similar vintage so that will go back. I have made a start prepping that up.

The governors going to need some work, I'm going to have to make a new bush for it, quite worn, and not a very good design, i am going to run a groove down the inside of the wew one so the oil can get to more of the shaft easier, and the gear has been refitted using a spiral wrap pin, so someones been in there before.

I need to source some No1 and No3 taper pins, they seem like rocking horse droppings here, I have found a company in the US called Fastenal, they have a UK agent who can get them, think they quoted me for 20 of each and the bill comes to just shy of £100!! affraid , not bad for a 50cent pin if you buy it in the US (they dont ship to the UK, I tried). Where can I get them in the UK, there must be somewhere but I am drawing blanks.

The governor gear is going to need one if I am to put it back properly.

So we are progressing, I need to get the sheets of ply out of the workshop and fitted to my trailer, need to get to the lathe soon - things to do.

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Apr 10 2013, 00:05

Geoff,

If rocking horse droppings are the same as hens teeth, I may be able to help skin a few chickens!

Let me know if you want me to get your tapered pins. We have a Fastenall outfit right here in North Bay and can get you them if needed and I sometimes get to buy single items as I buy there from time to time, I can send them off to you via post.

If yes, send me your addy in a PM and I will go and get them, mail is 3 to 5 days.

Cheers, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty Another Lister D

Post by biomed32uk Wed Apr 10 2013, 10:48

John, youre a star - thanks very much. I will PM you.

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 12:42

Have you tryed Screw fix or the tool station they have good stocks of almost everything you need. Have a good look on ebay as you can normally find someone selling the pins. Have you not got a nut and bolt stockest near you? if you go in they can normally find something that could help you.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty New member and lister D for restoration

Post by biomed32uk Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:24

Tried all those places and many more Stu, the one place I found over here had none, and was not at all helpful in getting any any. Hoping John has some luck with Fastenal for me.

Tin of paint turned up today, must get some more photos done and uploaded of the progress.

Geoff

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 13:10

Geoff it sounds a bit strange your having so much difficulty finding the pins, I wonder if they are normally known as something else (diff name). study It's a bit of a puzzle to me. scratch

Good luck and hope you can find what your looking for, and good luck with the resto.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by biomed32uk Sat Apr 13 2013, 17:41

No luck Stu, I would not have thought they would have been so tricky to find, but we dont make much here now, the great decline of anything made in GB.

Anyway, I had a spray a thon today, was only going to try a bit, but once the guns dirty, and the work shop is warm why not, its going green cheers

Needs another coat, and then some clearcoat, but the Tekaloid paint seems very good.

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 2013-04-13170648_zps530c6d0d

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 2013-04-13170616_zpsd3e04aea

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 2013-04-13170732_zpsb73171ab

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14 2013, 14:45

Looks very good Geoff, Tekaloid was always a good paint I didn't know there were still in business. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sun Apr 14 2013, 15:17

Indeed it does look good Geoff!!

The finish is nice and glossy, the way I would want it.

I also like the dull "old" look but newly applied. Working on a formula to accomplish just that lol.

BTW, the tapered pins will be inquired about tomorrow, and if can be ordered by phone will be done. I have your addy.

I am on a short trip out and should be back Friday and hopefully I can manage to send the pins off before the weekend coming if they have them in. The package may hold 20 or 30 of them as they sell batches mainly to keep the cost reasonable for them, and if so.., I will half the batch with you and we can both be happy yes? (one for you and one for me....., two for you and five..... Laughing Laughing

Happy to be of service, cheers John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty Lister d

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Apr 14 2013, 16:25

Any idea what year it is ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by biomed32uk Sun Apr 14 2013, 23:27

I never did post this, the engine was supplied to C.C.Boggis Ltd., Wrentham, Suffolk on 6/3/46, so its just had its 67th birthday.

So its not far from home, Boggis was a dealer so it qould have moved on from him I reckon, but the remants of the Boggis business are still around.

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 12:46

Lewis MacRae wrote:Any idea what year it is ?

2013 :stick lol: lol! :stick lol: lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:39

The tapered pins are ordered and I did it so we each get 10 of each spec,
Price is good.
Hope that's acceptable Geoff,

John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by biomed32uk Tue Apr 16 2013, 20:34

John, you are star thank you very much sir, that works extremely well for me, considering I was quoted just shy of 100 notes here lol!

PM me and let me know how to sort out the finances please.

Anyway, the D is looking in good shape with some new paint, looks worlds away from the sorry looking rusting lump.

I took the mag apart at the weekend, the CB end bearing is worn and looks like someones had a go at levering it out and cracked the back of the casting out. Its repairable, I've milled a counterbore to the back of the bearing housing, now going to make a plate up, screw that in there and that'll be the rear bearing plate. Makes getting the bearing our much easier.

The good news is that it did actually make a spark.

Some photos of this job soon, I wanted a project to keep my machines busy, and there are lots of little jobs happening now. Ordered some bronze bar to make a new governor bush up

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by biomed32uk Thu Apr 18 2013, 21:28

well I have started turning parts up, the governor bush is well under way, just needs boring to size, facing to length, holes drilling and oil groove running down inside.

The magneto housing is coming on, got to be drilled and tapped for some screws, bore the middle of the washer out and it should be good to go.

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 2013-04-18210542_zpsf6f77ad5

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 2013-04-18210607_zps5c9ed7a6

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 14:04

Geoff your keeping yourself busy, it must be nice to have the use of a lathe, even the space in the shed would be good. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 19 2013, 15:24

The things I could do with a lathe & a mill. Crying or Very sad

I'd be bloody dangerous! Laughing

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sat Apr 20 2013, 16:24

Been away,

But following lol. Nice job you are doing, should work a treat when done!
Don't you just love machines? There's so much you can do with just a few big tools.

Anyway, I look at you doing the Mag and laugh because I'd do exactly that to get it working!
It'll work well I suspect,

Cheers John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sat Apr 20 2013, 16:31

nutgone wrote:The things I could do with a lathe & a mill. Crying or Very sad

I'd be bloody dangerous! Laughing

It's getting cheaper by the day to buy decent machine tools Nutt.
One day you'll give up a tantilising little engine just to get a small lathe. And dangerous is in the eye of the hurt bystander, whom should have better judgement than to stand close :stick lol:

John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

New member and lister D for restoration - Page 5 Empty nice

Post by Raymond_Hopwood Sun Apr 21 2013, 16:42

still a nice looking engine cant wait to see it restored and good look with the foot
Raymond_Hopwood
Raymond_Hopwood
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next