www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines.

+9
nutgone
Andrew1971
matt86
Admin
steve w
Foden
rubythursday
blackvanman
A Lister
13 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 Empty Re: First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines.

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 06 2013, 22:16

Thats no problem John .

Any other D parts you after as i can have a look at a sale next weekend .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 Empty Re: First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines.

Post by Smitty Sun Apr 07 2013, 00:54

matt86 wrote:Thats no problem John .

Any other D parts you after as i can have a look at a sale next weekend .

Matt

Kind offer Matt,

I can't see that I do need anytrhing else, the bits I wanted are maybe materializing soon from you, and if not then the sale will be past.
I will patiently wait till we have a yes or no on the gear and guvnr bits, and I can carry on from there.

Oh, I forgot about the screw-on type oil filler I need as mine doesn't provide for a bolt on one, or is it a screw-on type period and screws onto an oval that bolts on? I forget what that looks like as I have not dealt with one at all..., that would be the only other thing I'd need.
Up to you if you'd like to look and purchase one if available, I'm good for the cost of it Very Happy

Mean while I have the crank trial fitted and everything looks just tickety boo there, piston has clearance on the deck and the intake valve has been machined up ready for lapping in. I thought I'd try some icing on the cake and put down a list of and other items I like to have that were not present with the engine.
I'll order those in a bit and by the time they arrive, I'll have most of the engine back to normal and maybe even running.

Life is good,
Thanks and Cheers mate, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:37

John are you going to get the correct fuel tank for your engine or just leave the tank alone for now?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sun Apr 07 2013, 15:45

stationary stu wrote:John are you going to get the correct fuel tank for your engine or just leave the tank alone for now?

Stu.

Hello Stu,

I will eventually either buy one or build one, but it isn't important right now. I want to do the mechanical end of it first and have it running and then I can get the cosmetics and paint done next season. I do have a big tank that came with the engine, so I can utilise that for running it while I look for an original.

It looks like I may finally be getting somewhere and I may have it running in a short little while, and that makes me happy.
I will most likely have all the bottom ready for running later today after putting the timing gears in and re assemble the bits it needs to fire up, but the head will require a little more work on the valves and guides (which need replacing also) and the guvnr needs a bit more work.
I cleaned and sorted the carburettor and reassembled that so that's about it.

For cosmetic work I will have it running first so nothing needs done after that, and then it can come apart again for a total from the ground up resto and paint, and probably a generator or something to go on it.

I believe this engine was set up as a genset, and my mate has a working 1 Kw generator from the '30's which looks like it could belong to the engine, so I may do that as I can use it for the odd rally or show it at small town events like a few old timers do in this area.

John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 14:12

John sounds like you have it all planned and getting her running has to be the first job. I like the sound of the genny to go with it, then it will be a very handy display engine and a stand by at home.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Apr 09 2013, 17:55

Getting it running pretty much has to be it Stu,

I would like to paint and pretty up, but I don't think I'd touch it once it has been painted No

I know myself and I would let things go once the thing looks good Rolling Eyes , so I'd rather get it running and work out the bugs and problems before I do that Smile

I am still working on getting the 86 year old crud and caked on debris from the waterjacket, and because it is so thick in there I may have to get it cooked to get it clean. I also keep finding bolts and nuts ( only one bolt and one nut sofar that fit each other and they're WW!

If that keeps up I may have a show ready collection of hardware that was used in the time when the engine was built! Shocked

I am working on the timing works and trying to match the working surfaces of the cam followers and polishing of the mating surfaces on the cam so that "wear in" will be minimised and efficient operation is as close as I can make it. (not a nesessity, but I like fiddling with stuff.)

I have the splash pin done and fitted, I just need to decide what pin to use, spring pin or split pin? a spring pin is tight and shouldnt move, whereas a split pin will work and wiggle maybe to cause the pin to come out eventually when it breaks down.
I may even try to use a soft steel rivet, that way the ends are enlarged and it can't slide out.

Some pics next, cheers John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:41

Ok,

Pics as promised, I locked the splash pin in by using a piece of drill rod, and then I squashed the ends together causing the pin to fatten inside the hole, so the result is a tight fit with the ends peened as a secondary safety, I much prefer that over a split pin, as they are made of weaker unknown material and as far as I am concerned they always seem to break or crumble when you dont want them to Neutral
It's just wrong to use one in a place where everything is trying to self destruct or destroy everything else!

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 01110

I also took a burr to the oil holes in the rod's bearings (I do it in the racing engines so why not here?) to increase the amount of oil present within the bearing surface, and I believe that it helps to disperse the oil better at the same time as well, I need to finish them with a polishing compound and a small cotton wheel to make sure there's no snags anywhere. (It's bronze so I should be ok anyway.)

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 01310

Then I took the old and the spare cam followers and compared the condition of them. You need to know that these "better" ones are like new as compared, those bits were kindly sent to me by Pete as he just had them laying about, they are like new to me as you can see in the pics and they are not too far off from new anyway, as they only have marginal wear on them.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 00413

The old ones are worn so bad that they can't be used period as they will slop around on the bearing pin they ride on and will eventually destroy it.
Note the rounded follower lobes on the replacement followers as compared to the totally worn flat ones on the old ones Laughing

The bits inside of the governor elsewhere in this thread are also very badly worn and will require replacement or a lot of work to bring them back. If I have to I can turn up some of it on the lathe, but the weights will most likely have to be replaced if I can find them.
Nothing says I can't improvise, but I don't want to go that direction as it is only more work and takes away from the original.

Finally; the gaskets that came in the kit from Stationary are good, except the paper ones :stick lol: , I'll use them for templates to cut my own Neutral

Well at least I can now start with the assembly of the bottom I was going to do yesterday, but I just couldn't get it started as I have another flu (how many of them can a man have in 3 months??) and the pickup truck needs work on the fuel system still and the brakes done.
I do it all myself as the cost of out work is just rediculous! Mad

Anyway, I need to call into work to see if I can weasle another few days off to do all of this. The boss is a collector of sorts (more into antique pickup trucks,) the only difference being that all of his stuff is worth more than my home is Shocked so He is pretty easy about time off, he says it's my money I'm messing with Very Happy
Good man him!

That's it for now (hacking and coughing!! scratch can't figure out why I have to be sick!! I done my time!!)

Cheers all, John.

Last edited by Smitty on Wed Apr 10 2013, 00:24; edited 1 time in total

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Apr 09 2013, 19:43

Hi Stu,

You have a PM, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by biomed32uk Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:48

Looks like you are winning John, been following your thread with interest, you'll hear the old girl running soon.

It's quite satisfying winding that handle, feeling it catch and come to life Very Happy

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Apr 10 2013, 00:43

biomed32uk wrote:Looks like you are winning John, been following your thread with interest, you'll hear the old girl running soon.

It's quite satisfying winding that handle, feeling it catch and come to life Very Happy

Hi Geoff,

I can't wait to be doing exactly that, cranking with a camera handy and evidence that lots of work gets results Very Happy
That'd be my first attempt at posting a film pale

Good news for being off some more.., the boss has sanctified two more days in solitude, but his secret reason is probably that he wants me held over for another possible hairbrain drill rig delivery out in the North West somewhere.

Can't complain though if he needs to move a couple of million bucks worth of equipment and demands I do it, I think I'm secure Very Happy

Maybe I can get up early and go and collect my IHC the fellow told me was ready for me to come and get! Just like that!
I'm floating now First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 2588890777

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:32

Thanks John, message back atcha.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sat Apr 13 2013, 21:29

Ok Stu duly noted,

Thanks for the reply, it's sorted, Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 Empty Posting a video.

Post by Smitty Sun Apr 14 2013, 22:37

Can anyone pls direct me as to how to post a video from my Handycam's card?
Or is that not possible and I have to post it on Utube first?

Thx John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 13:04

You can download it to photo bucket John if that's any easier for you.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Apr 16 2013, 05:30

I need to go back into YouTube to change to share setting,
John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 16 2013, 10:59

John, you need to go to YouTube, up the top right of the screen is your name, to the right of it is 2 little boxes & an arrow, click on the arrow or right hand box & some stuff will appear along the top half of the screen.

There will be a couple of lists appear (YouTube Account & Google Account). Under "YouTube Account" you need to click on "Video Manager"

When it takes you to this, hopefully now down the left hand side of the screen you will have your "Dashboard". Go on this (list down the left) & click on "Channel Settings" to open up the sub menu. Then click on "Defaults" in the sub menu. Now on the main part of the screen (to the right) will come up your defaults menu. Right at the top of that menu will be your "Privacy" setting. Click the drop-down & select "Public"

This wasn't easy to find, but I got there in the end. I just hope it's the same for you & of some use.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Apr 16 2013, 13:31

Thanks Nutt,

That's excactly what I need to do.

Cheers mate. John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 Empty Bit of an update.

Post by Smitty Sat May 04 2013, 00:56

It's been a while since I have done anything to the "D", but I had other things to accomplish and as always, work gets in the way at the same time.

I have slowly had parts trickling in for my "D" and when I get my chance I'll jump right back in to get it sorted, I went ahead and have gotten the valve guides and governor springs, and I will also get two new valves, because I have had to really think hard on what kind of input I have had with this engine, thinking it was a runner while it was as dead as a greased rock!

I thought about it and decided that I was going to do "the works" and restore it properly and be done with it, once and for all!

A few more things I am waiting on, like circlips for the gudgeon pin, the helical gear and innards for the governor bits I need to get it back to the breathing stage, and rightfully so i think.
It being an early engine and probably having worked itself to death (while neglected and used up) It deserves a better fate than just to rot away, half arsed done!
So, a bit more time (and money of course,) and hopefully it will be running once more, in better shape than it has done for quite a while I think.

Cheers, John.

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04 2013, 13:50

That's the way to look at it John once you've restored it then it should never have to be stripped down again, unless your going to put it to work on the farm. So it might look like slow going at the minute but once you've managed to get all the parts you need then there'll be no stopping you and we will see one nearly perfect D as it left the factory all those years ago.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat May 04 2013, 14:33

The governor parts etc will be posted late next week John as I haven't had a chance to get to the Post Office and Anne is having a foot operation on tuesday which will mean me being housebound for a few days until she is mobile again. Rest assured that all is under control! Cool

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sat May 04 2013, 19:47

Foden wrote:The governor parts etc will be posted late next week John as I haven't had a chance to get to the Post Office and Anne is having a foot operation on tuesday which will mean me being housebound for a few days until she is mobile again. Rest assured that all is under control! Cool

Pete.

Pete,
I am sorry to hear someone has a foot problem.
Being house bound is not a bad thing, but caring for a woman with a sore foot may increase your patience and understanding of the female psyche Neutral Very Happy

I am not worried and whenever you get the time is fine by me my friend.

Best wishes to a healed foot, and you.

John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat May 04 2013, 20:03

I care for her full time anyway John as she is severely disabled, have done for 11 years now so anything fresh that she comes up with I can cope! Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 11:42

Send our best wishes to Anne please Pete and we hope for her to have a speedy recovery. Maybe after a few days rest you should take her away in the caravan for the weekernd. Wink Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Mon May 06 2013, 00:41

Well this is what love and being responsible is about,

When we were still married we took in all sorts of children and teenagers (on top of our own 6 wild ones), and from all walks of life.
It is not at all the same as caring for a disabled person mind, but it gives me a good idea as to what that's all about.
I can only have respect for that.

Cheers, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Thu May 16 2013, 17:26

Hi all,

Well, I've been home one day and did some work on a genny head I picked up, then I got in the mood to do a bit more of assembly and general cleaning up of bits and bobs for the Lister "D", while waiting on bits to assemble the Gov. section, and then the rest of the "D".

Hah! Neutral got a call from work Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad

I thought I was going to have a few days to work myself in tight with the generator and the "D", but just one phone call nixed that idea!
I have to go out again tonight or at best tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping that the load will be delayed a day. (which it could If I say three hundred hail Marys!.., I'm not even Catholic, but prayer seems to work. Very Happy )

Sofar I've had the crank and bearings back together and it bolted on for posterity or just plain lack of anything else I could do to the engine, other than some valve work which I need new valves for, which are next to order when the paycheck arrives. (may as well do a proper renewal of that system too while everything else is being re-done anyway.., keep things on an even keel?) scratch
This engine is never going to be able to get sold for the cost of restoring it! Just as well anyway, as that'll keep me from selling it plus I'll have a dowry to give for my daughter If she'll ever marry! (last one!):angel1:

I took the shaft assy off again and made yet another new gasket for the housing, I don't believe in re-using paper ones if I can help it (some times you need to though,) plus it keeps a template for cutting new ones handy.
Then I took the piston and rod, had another good look at it all, and came up with a handfull of 3/4" "C" clips (free from Fastenall to keep old friendships and services solid,) which are just a bit to big for the grooves in the gudgeon pin holes.
That made my mind go into survival mode and I clipped one end off one of the "C" clips to make it bend beyond where it would touch together (now it only has one hole to latch onto in order to squeeze or pull it,) and installed one to see if that was acceptable and it worked like a charm, a bit more playing needed but it still installs and removes easily.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 6 00910

Now the rod/piston assembly is complete with gudgeon pin installed and the crank shaft can be mounted back in the crank case properly together with the piston assembly.
Next I can trial fit all the timing gear and have that ready for when the governor is ready to be installed and tested.

When I'm done with that, I may have enough time left today to go back to the generator and behead it to remove the old engine timing case, and clean that end up a tad.
I may even get brave and paint it! wow....., I did say that.., (don't get to be too expectant of that last statement, as I want to save all the paint jobs till next year or never! which ever comes last.)

Thought I'd give you all a bit of an update so's you know I'm still alive Very Happy

Here's to success and time, cheers , John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next