www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

First pics of the new old Lister D.

5 posters

Go down

First pics of the new old Lister D. Empty First pics of the new old Lister D.

Post by Smitty Thu Jan 17 2013, 16:51

Hello again,

I had attempted to upload some pics, but I did that in the sticky where I shouldn't have done.

So here are the pics in the right place.
At least I did manage to get them to appear, and I found that Photobucket has improved the uploading experience to "better" lol.

Pic one is the Lister after loading it into my pickup truck, at this point it is MINE! heh heh heh.
Notice the broken studs on the top cover.

First pics of the new old Lister D. 00413

Well, that went not too bad, Here's another and last one of the number plate and warning.
I wonder if someone at Lister knew I was going to bring it home in -20*F weather!

First pics of the new old Lister D. 00311

All I need now is to find how to change the name "projecthog", to something a bit more personal and add an avatar pic.

Regards, John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First pics of the new old Lister D. Empty Re: First pics of the new old Lister D.

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 17 2013, 17:28

John what do you want as your name ? PM me what you want and i will change it for you .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

First pics of the new old Lister D. Empty Re: First pics of the new old Lister D.

Post by steve w Thu Jan 17 2013, 18:17

i bet that took some lifting into the truck, interesting mag and tank it has.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Thu Jan 17 2013, 21:03

Steve W,

It was fairly hefty, I believe it is supposed to weigh in at around some 256 lbs dry.

The tank is a good one but I don't like it, I'll hunt up something a bit more nostalgic for looks.
I am not too worried about an incorrect tank, as that can be remedied without a problem when needed, but I think I may have a brass one made from a fire extinguisher that may suit, we'll see.

Because it is so ackward it took two of us to lift it in and that made me think it was going to stay there in the truck forever, as I live remote and have few friends close by.

I did get it out with the help of a ladder as a slide and some serious shuffling and breathing hard, and I managed to get it in the house.

I will post pics as soon as I can get going on the uploading in a bit.

Regards, Smitty.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First pics of the new old Lister D. Empty More pics.

Post by Smitty Thu Jan 17 2013, 22:43

Here's a view of the broken studs.

First pics of the new old Lister D. 01011

The one piece cover.
I am not sure if that's rare or not.

First pics of the new old Lister D. 00911

The plunger seems to be missing and a screw inserted.
Did the "D" engines all have the plunger there, I thought I had seen one with the plunger in a separate pot mounted off to the side of the carb.

First pics of the new old Lister D. 03010

This engine was repaired, and it's ugly, but it doesn't leak and the previous owner said he had run it for years like that.
The water jacket might have had ice in it, or maybe it had a physical impact from a mad hammer some one threw!

First pics of the new old Lister D. 00810

That's it for the moment, I do not want to exceed the pic limit, or cause a problem with band width.

Please feel free to comment or put yer two pounds worth in, the more the better.
If some thing is different from yours, or you know there is a difference out of the normal, please comment, I would like to learn as much as I can.
Regards all, Smitty.
Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jan 17 2013, 23:28

Regarding the carb i believe the very early D's did not have a float bowl and does the plunger work for the choke ? you may have to pull it up looks a bit odd that one does .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jan 18 2013, 00:11

The early D's didn't have the extended airvalve so you couldn't hold it down to act as a choke, it looks as though that one has been blanked off at some time. The one piece hopper cover was used on the early engines, my 1930 spec 12 has one, but yours looks as though it was fitted with the rubber breather which used to blow out in use and was soon discarded in favour of the domed type with three screws securing it. At least you have the correct ML magneto, just watch the casting as they suffer from metal fatigue and tend to fall apart at the points housing.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Fri Jan 18 2013, 01:16

Matt and Pete,

The intake end of the carb has a spring loaded plate or disk inside that seems to be preset for the right amount of air as the piston starts to
draw in a mixture, I can put my mitts on it and push gently to allow more air then it allows itself.

But starting it will be slightly delayed as the main bearing at flywheel end (I believe there is only one bearing set anyway) makes dying noises and is bad, and also the mag will need work, although the body is actually in decent shape.

There seems to be lots of compression, so I don't think that will be an issue.
But as it comes apart I will check the valves and camshaft for shape.

The ML cover which fits over the horseshoe, is in bad shape but fortunately that doesn't affect the workings of the mag.

the stamping on the side bottom of the body reads TYPE NAK and so I should be able to find a replacement in better shape than this one.

I can fix what I have and I will try, but why not get something that is in good shape if I can, and have the spares?

The mag needs a new timing cover as it is split.
The points have been made by hand and must have worked because they are well worn out.
There is no impulse action that I can tell.
I wonder if this mag generates a current that's bled off at the right moment, but would be live through 360 degrees? Like a generator or dynamo. there is no condensor to eliminate cross spark, just points operated by a cam plate and pushrod.

I wonder if the High tension lead comes as one piece with the bakelite fitting permanently attached?
It seeems to be all one item.
I can't see that it comes apart, but this lead would still work enough to make the sparkplug work.
Might there be a solder joint that holds the wire type lead in place in a cup on the bakelite head?

So many questions and lots of fun sofar, but as for running, I think I will rebuild it first and know what I have as the bearing is to far gone for my peace of mind.

When I get my books, I will be able to tell what's what.
In the mean time I will hunt for a good Magneto, and I have found a site where I may just find one.

Thanks for the comments, Regards.
Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jan 18 2013, 11:01

There are two main bearings, both large ball races of different sizes, and are both contained in the same housing. There is no impulse fitted on the magneto, it turns at engine speed so has a wasted spark which is one reason why D's are such good starters. The HT lead is normally seperate and held into the mag with an Acorn type screw fitting with a brass washer retaining the lead, easily replaced if required. The valves, springs and rockers are also different on your engine to the later ones, it looks as though it has the early 'Parrot Nose' rockers as there is no spacer between them and the springs will be smaller in section, these changed several times during the production run. Basically the bottom end stayed much the same, the early ones up to the early thirties had an oil dipper retained with a split pin and no oil splash plate but otherwise nothing changed much which shows how good the original design was! Smile

My engine is one of the spec 12 models which were the first to have a float chamber fitted on the carb, though it is a different chamber to the later ones, and has the oil filler in a different place as well as the 'clattery' breather also fitted to the CS diesels. These were only fitted to D types for ten months.

Pete.

First pics of the new old Lister D. 1003123g

First pics of the new old Lister D. 1003124z

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Fri Jan 18 2013, 15:34

First off, Thank you for the pics and helpful info Pete.

I am a bit miffed at the moment as I lose the page after composing a message for an hour or so and waste my time, only to have the message dissapear into oblivion as the page has expired!!
This happens almost each time I reply.
I am sure it has nothing to do with the site, but it is annoying to no end.

I had a nice reply to your pics and all, but now I need to take a deep breath and relax before I turn my puter into a UFO.

Regards and thanks again, John.
Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 18 2013, 15:51

Smitty wrote:First off, Thank you for the pics and helpful info Pete.

I am a bit miffed at the moment as I lose the page after composing a message for an hour or so and waste my time, only to have the message dissapear into oblivion as the page has expired!!
This happens almost each time I reply.
I am sure it has nothing to do with the site, but it is annoying to no end.

I had a nice reply to your pics and all, but now I need to take a deep breath and relax before I turn my puter into a UFO.

Regards and thanks again, John.

John, before you click the "Send" button to post your message, try highlighting all the text you have written & copying it (if you highlight it with your mouse then press control (Ctrl) & the letter "C" it will copy it, or you can highlight it & press the right mouse button, where "Copy" will come up as one of the options).

You probably know all this anyway, but if it disappears then, when you press the send button, you simply go back to the box where you type your message, if it has disappeared & the box is empty, simply click in the box, to get the text input cursor flashing & paste in what you copied from before.
You can paste by either pressing control (Ctrl) & the letter "V" or by right clicking again & using the "Paste" option which comes up.

The short cut keys I mention (letters C & V) are part of the "Cut, Copy, Paste" process. The letter X is used for cut, letter C is copy & letter V is paste, when pressed with the Ctrl key. Saves a lot of clicking & is easy to remember as X is generally thought of as a cross, which means Cut (IE cross out), C stands for Copy & the V is next to them, X-C-V= Cut, copy, paste.

Hope this helps.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Fri Jan 18 2013, 17:00

Hello nut,

I have come to the same conclusion, and I am also cooled off now lol.
No UFO's from this direction today.

Thank you for gently advising me to the copying thingy.

I have done checking the encrypt script saving checkbox, and of course it is cleared, so the problem is between here and there, and I am just not going to let it get to me.

Computers are the next possible time bomb to the demise of mankind, but I will not linger on that.

Regards John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 18 2013, 18:33

It's happened to me before now, more than once, I know just how infuriating it is, believe me! Mad Embarassed

The copy & paste is a good thing to do, but you can bet your life it will never happen again whenever you do so, only when you don't!

It seems to happen more often when you take a long time to write your reply, so if you do write a long post, or get distracted whilst writing one, it's always worth doing it.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Fri Jan 18 2013, 22:08

Nut,

Hello and yes it seems that the little generic demons have a laugh now and then, pulling strings they have no business doing.

You are also right that it happens more readily when composing a long post.
I am such a stickler for proper grammar, that I sit and double check and re-check the check that was just checked, and then verify it.
By then the cat has gone home and the mice are out, and the dogs are free.

There is a lesson in there somewhere!

But I have good natured friends here who patiently understand and let live.

I do the copying thing now, and you're right it doesn't happen other than just so that you can fix it by double tapping the backup button, but not always.
Better to be prepared.

I appreciate the reply, Regards, John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Fri Jan 18 2013, 22:17

Nutgone,

I also had a good look at some of your threads and I enjoyed the D engine with the reverse rotation story, way to go to get the little gaffers trained before they know what's happening, keeps them normal in an otherwise screwed up world!
plus you have the benefit (or not lol,) to have a brother doing the same thing with engines.

I have a brother who ended up restoring motorbikes from the teens, and he is now deep into reproducing oil tanks for some ancient American motors, but also European and Russian ones.
he makes oil tanks and hand operated oilpumps as replacements for those that are no more.

I remember getting him going on the stuff when I was into it, and now I am doing something totally different, but he still does those jobs.

Those kids you are treating with the engine will always have a spot for them in their hearts I am sure, way to go!

Regards, John.
Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 18 2013, 23:16

Thanks Smitty cheers

All this serves to remind me that I really should make some time to get over there & do some work on the Lister D project, to keep my nephews interested. My brother has his job to keep him occupied, but as we slowly sort out his garage & make it into something resembling a workshop, I'm sure he will have more time to get involved with them as well.

Restoring old stuff has been with my brother & I since we were very young. We were bought our first engine when we were about 6 years old (we're twins) & we still have the engine (a Tarpen generating set). I restored it last June/July, but sadly it now needs a new magneto coil.
My dad is into his old bikes, mainly British stuff. He currently has 2 Velocettes, but has had & restored many different old bikes during my childhood.

Oh yes, & I too am a bit of a stickler for correct grammar, although my typing can be a little lazy at times. I always proof read my posts, sometimes after posting them, so occasionally I will leave small mistakes, but usually opting to press "Edit" & go back & put them right. It's a dying art these days, someone's got to keep it alive. Wink

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Sat Jan 19 2013, 01:06

Nut,

Yep, this world is changing faster than I can keep up with seems, sometimes it feels like I'm in the water goping for the rope that's connected to the boat which is happy putting away with an old engine, but as it disappears on the horizon, I realize how little time we have to do right by our little reproduction humans, who turn into biggger humans who eventually will change the world by the actions we have tought them.

Grammar is one of the things I insisted on with the boys and girls and, I did it with them through musical instruments, old mini bikes, cars, engines, restoring or making work the old wooden boats found in places where stuff like that slowly dies away.

Grammar was part of the process to show them proper part names and spelling, and to operate the mind from outside of the box, to gain some insight (pardon the pun) and ingenuity, to get done what needs doing, but properly.

It worked wonderfully well with them, and love, closeness and compassion for things and people is the result.

I believe it is still an art that is needed.

End of rant!

You mention your Dad, working on bikes,

Where I grew up in Holland, we as kids had the world by the proverbials, learning to make the old decrepid leftover piles of bikes and scrapyard motors work with parts from each other, and never did without when it came time to do racing or hillclimbing.
It's still like that today for me, there is always a way to make it work, or to have fun with anything mechanical or electrical and use ingenuity to make something that someone will like.

But I digress,

I thought I'd comment on the lister for the nephews, God speed and make them happy.

Regards, John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down