www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration Empty Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration

Post by blackvanman Thu Jan 31 2013, 23:55

Righty, picked this little beggar up the other day, the idea for the short term for it to run off the wd8 (until I have a better idea).
A bit of a rare one really, not masses of info around and can't find many photos of others like it on the net, did find this though and there is an original advert for it as well.
HERE

Work is well under way.
First thing I found was that the crank bearings were buggered the next was that someone had decided grease was a better substitute for clean gasket surfaces Very Happy (it leaked like a sieve). At this point I decided a full strip was needed.

As she arrived:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8433150891_14e320c1d9

Primary investigation:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8434237024_6356d41de3

Gutted crank case:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8434236552_087f81937a

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8434236152_282f9b9d6b

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8434237144_02917ac5ca

New bearings:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8433149723_5251ee54b6

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8433151269_e78a909bb0

Pump strip:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8433151081_f2eb3e824c

if anyone see's my bench please give me a clue where to find it

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8433148853_45c5008f5f

Gland repacked:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8433148989_0b0306f37e

New gaskets cut and back together:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8434234928_629007ca86

and she pumps, which is nice. Next step will be to take apart again and take her to get shot blasted before throwing any paint at it.

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration Empty Re: Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01 2013, 12:05

Wow Andy that was quick work, you must of need a few ciggies to get it finished so quick. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great work but you've missed putting the video link up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration Empty Re: Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration

Post by Foden Fri Feb 01 2013, 13:37

I bought one of those LEO pumps last year but haven't seen it for a while, I guess that it will be either in one of the garages or the shed. Mine is very rough, I did weigh the electric motor in for scrap though so got some of my £10 back that I paid for it off ebay, and my neighbour was supposed to be getting me some new brass springs for it as the old ones had rotted away, will have to dig the thing out sometime and give it the works but there are many other projects to tackle first. Rolling Eyes

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Feb 01 2013, 17:02

stationary stu wrote:Wow Andy that was quick work, you must of need a few ciggies to get it finished so quick. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great work but you've missed putting the video link up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

not really Stu, only scratched the surface Smile

no video yet as I have not had her running off the engine, (no belt as yet) only turned over by hand, nice steady flow though Smile

Last edited by blackvanman on Fri Feb 01 2013, 17:19; edited 1 time in total

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Feb 01 2013, 17:18

Foden wrote:I bought one of those LEO pumps last year but haven't seen it for a while, I guess that it will be either in one of the garages or the shed. Mine is very rough, I did weigh the electric motor in for scrap though so got some of my £10 back that I paid for it off ebay, and my neighbour was supposed to be getting me some new brass springs for it as the old ones had rotted away, will have to dig the thing out sometime and give it the works but there are many other projects to tackle first. Rolling Eyes

Pete.
get it out and going, its interesting if you do a google image search for climax pump, lister pump then leo pump.....

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Feb 01 2013, 17:49

I guess that I could sort it out earlier than planned and put other things on the back burner! My mate has one and it pumps nicely so I suppose another at a rally wont hurt haha, mine was used as a milk transfer pump in a dairy so is well clogged with stale milk but apart from new springs shouldn't take much doing.

Pete.

Ebay photograph of the pump!

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration Kgrhqfqme88f7ygecbpiypw

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Feb 01 2013, 18:29

Foden wrote:I guess that I could sort it out earlier than planned and put other things on the back burner! My mate has one and it pumps nicely so I suppose another at a rally wont hurt haha, mine was used as a milk transfer pump in a dairy so is well clogged with stale milk but apart from new springs shouldn't take much doing.

Pete.

Ebay photograph of the pump!

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration Kgrhqfqme88f7ygecbpiypw

someone really got thier money's worth on that belt as well Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 12:25

Andy good excuses just chain smoke and get it sorted same way you did the Wolseley lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Feb 10 2013, 01:29

stationary stu wrote:Andy good excuses just chain smoke and get it sorted same way you did the Wolseley lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

lol, went out for a few smokes tonight Very Happy

have stripped it down again for paint prep:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8459241711_26835564f2

obviously not going to paint the conrod but here it is lol

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8459241837_510a64062a

and the pump head (the nasty wet mess on the floor is all the crap that came off it):

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8459241215_7aeb5e6aa5

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:01

All looking good Andy, what colour are you going to paint it?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Feb 10 2013, 14:33

stationary stu wrote:All looking good Andy, what colour are you going to paint it?

Stu.
I'll give you one guess......... Very Happy
Clue: I already have it on the shelf Wink

little progress today, primer on:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8461815060_8da359ff35

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Feb 10 2013, 18:25

You were too slow Stu, Mid Brunswick again Very Happy

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8462518414_9a21910097

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 11:46

Now there's a suprise Laughing Laughing Laughing looking good Andy.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Mon Feb 11 2013, 11:49

stationary stu wrote:Now there's a suprise Laughing Laughing Laughing looking good Andy.

Stu.
I'm under strict orders to use what I have Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 12:37

Oh like that is it!!! lol! lol! lol! lol! We know the score now queen

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Feb 16 2013, 23:04

a little progress:

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8479396863_6c8537d100

Joseph Evans & Son, Lion Leo Pump 1954 Restoration 8479394783_4022e12c25

still got to put it on a stand, and source a small half barrel to fill with water, but its not come out too bad for now, may be having a crank up at my dads this weekend so it may get a little test/vid if that happens Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Feb 17 2013, 08:53

thats come up very nice Andy , pat on your back .

I have got a nice half barrel but sorry no im keeping it ... Its for my dairy display . Had to make it from scratch .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:05

Cracking job Andy, fingers crossed it sees some action soon so we can see it working on video.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Feb 17 2013, 23:17

stationary stu wrote:Cracking job Andy, fingers crossed it sees some action soon so we can see it working on video.

Stu.
Ah, yes, well, had a crank up at dads today, had some teething issues with the belting Smile we did get it to stay on long enough to for the pump to prime and loads of water flowed which was great, for the 30 seconds before it jumped off again Very Happy Have a solution, will post further outcomes Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Feb 18 2013, 00:05

the pump is looking great mate
all in the lining up the pulleys and tension mate
or you could just try and "BELT IT ONE" but it will probable still miss behave and jump off Laughing Laughing
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Mon Feb 18 2013, 01:40

kevjhnsn wrote:the pump is looking great mate
or you could just try and "BELT IT ONE" but it will probable still miss behave and jump off Laughing Laughing
kev
lol, yeah, first off because the pulley was completely flat the belt was running all over the show, we whipped the pulley off rounded the face on the lathe to give a center high point for the belt to follow, this helped loads, but the pump was moving and the belt then flying off as a consequence. next job will be to put it on a proper base (maybe with 2 wheels) and an adjustable brace between it and the engine trolley.

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Feb 18 2013, 04:18

blackvanman wrote:
kevjhnsn wrote:the pump is looking great mate
kev
lol, yeah, first off because the pulley was completely flat the belt was running all over the show, we whipped the pulley off rounded the face on the lathe to give a center high point for the belt to follow, this helped loads, but the pump was moving and the belt then flying off as a consequence. next job will be to put it on a proper base (maybe with 2 wheels) and an adjustable brace between it and the engine trolley.

that sounds like a plan i would do as pumps arnt very hevy and the irregular forces to turn on over deams a weighty anker to stop the buggers moving
one of mine has a 4 wheeled trolley and a on board "gas tank " i mean 10 gallon water butt ,and i still have to peg and chock the wheels to stop the lot walking to the engine
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 12:56

Andy you need to have it fastened down mate, peg it into the grond to stop it moving, same with the engine, see if that helps.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Mon Feb 18 2013, 14:23

stationary stu wrote:Andy you need to have it fastened down mate, peg it into the grond to stop it moving, same with the engine, see if that helps.

Stu.

Hard to do on concrete Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 13:15

Poor excuse Andy, well how about a if you ratchet strap them to trees or posts etc. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next