www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP

+4
billypurves
Hughesy
Smitty
kevjhnsn
8 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 4 Empty Re: Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04 2013, 12:16

Well that's one reason to get it finished, needing the bench, maybe I should try that instead of having so many work mate benches where I can leave them on.
Great news you've managed to get the tank soldered back up and the tidy up is coming along well.

Keep up the great work Steve,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Mon Mar 04 2013, 14:07

cheers stu, hope to have an hour tonight if i can get this work i have to do today finished, lovely weather today and for the next few days - i am suprised how quick the paint has hardened, but i have a problem - embarasing Embarassed the crank handle i had the paint matched off is slightly differnt to the engine so some patches might have to wait - if the base looks bad when back together i might have to paint it again, problem is i am a bit color blind.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew1971 Mon Mar 04 2013, 15:40

Like your trolly it's looking good. This is where you to be care full not to chip paint when going back together Laughing
Liking it all so far 👍 👍
Andrew

Andrew1971
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Mon Mar 04 2013, 18:08

Andrew1971 wrote:Like your trolly it's looking good. This is where you to be care full not to chip paint when going back together Laughing
Liking it all so far 👍 👍
Andrew

cheers Andrew 👍 - here is the engine as finished for now, Smile

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 4 Fj_new10
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Mar 04 2013, 21:11

sweet
thats brought your engine out of lurking on the other trolley
that light wood and dark engine complements each other very well indead mate
nice one ,like the trolley design also mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Tue Mar 05 2013, 09:09

Thanks Kev, - did you notice the change in shade of green from the engine to its tank housing? - Shocked
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 11:20

Looks great Steve, cracking trolley and I do like the light wood effect and erm well erm Laughing yes you can tell it's a different shade Crying or Very sad Matching paint can be a pain in the butt to get right so what are you thinking about doing with it now?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Tue Mar 05 2013, 12:09

stationary stu wrote:Looks great Steve, cracking trolley and I do like the light wood effect and erm well erm Laughing yes you can tell it's a different shade Crying or Very sad Matching paint can be a pain in the butt to get right so what are you thinking about doing with it now?

Stu.

i will leave the base that shade stu but get another match to tart up the odd it on the main block, this time i will take a bit of the engine for them to match, blooming crank handle. Embarassed
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Mar 05 2013, 16:22

I love the "old iron bit on the new trolley Steve, looks very well and gives the idea of the past living there.

Wonderful combo, I am sure it will spice up the engine just so.

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Tue Mar 05 2013, 17:29

cheers john - i also make the odd framed mirror out of old timber and try to put a bit of cast plate on always looks good in a modern home as you say the old and the new seems to work.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Mar 05 2013, 17:49

steve w wrote:cheers john - i also make the odd framed mirror out of old timber and try to put a bit of cast plate on always looks good in a modern home as you say the old and the new seems to work.

Steve,

I love "old" and "modern old" if it's done right, and your trolley is perfect!
I seem to have this yearning for the looks of mideval times also as I have stored away a few hand wrought swords (made from old harrow tine blades) and chainmail dress items that I made from small keyrings. A horned helmet is next in my collection when the passion returns Very Happy Heavy hammered iron with brass or copper rims and pointy acorn nuts!

The strips of old plate are just right up my alley,
I'll think of something to make from that idea. Maybe a plate bordered, rough wooden back plate for my old Mahogany and heavy brass rudder wheel out of the old boat.

Cheers, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Mar 06 2013, 16:43

i made a couple of blocks today out of a bit of Oak off the firewood pile to stop the wheels turning int the side of the trolly, they seem to work well.

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 4 Steer_10

the block screwed underneath,.

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 4 Steer_11
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Mar 06 2013, 16:50

steve w wrote:i made a couple of blocks today out of a bit of Oak off the firewood pile to stop the wheels turning int the side of the trolly, they seem to work well.

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 4 Steer_10

the block screwed underneath,.

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 4 Steer_11

Steve, Nothing wrong with that!
I suppose it's about the only way you can stop from bumping the rails.
I like the pitted steel look very much, you just can't buy that! It's a thing of class to me the way that looks.

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Mar 06 2013, 16:54

chers john, i have started to save all rusty iron plates - i have a 50 ton press and sheer so can make the odd bent bracket as well
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Mar 06 2013, 18:09

steve w wrote:chers john, i have started to save all rusty iron plates - i have a 50 ton press and sheer so can make the odd bent bracket as well

Oh that sounds so good!

I have been wanting for one here but no room, and costs are prohibitive. The things I could do with that, sigh, but all is not lost, I'm madly planning and plotting for a new home and shop so I may retire and get busier than before lol.

I do save rusty old iron and lumps of old cast iron machine parts for replicating things or machining cylinders or flywheels for a small sterling engine (a loooooong time coming, but another love of mine.)
The places I go sometimes have ancient angle or round/ flat stock and bits of brass or bronze bushes that are reject and lay out in the yards rotting never having made the recycle box, and I do what I can to relieve them of their burdens of cleanup and storage, and always with permission so the pile grows! Plate I have not, and yours looks good with the wear and pitting.
I'll work on collecting some of that myself Very Happy

I believe I am going to be very busy in the retired future, making things up for the locals and being able to charge reasonably less than anywhere else (especially the under the table work on weekend breakdowns for the few mills we have round here). It'll keep me from getting old and useless, and help my engine habit at the same time.

Cheers mate, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Mar 06 2013, 18:42

My press is and Edwards steel worker from the USA i got it when the $ made it about half price - it will sheer 16mm plate and punch a 22mm hole in 27mm plate light a finger in jelly, i have a bar cutter on it that sheers from 3mm - 25mm rod, and also a notcher and angle sheer, i cut some angle last week 10mm thick 100mm x 100mm, best bit of kit i have along with my tig welder. steve.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Mar 06 2013, 20:02

steve w wrote:My press is and Edwards steel worker from the USA i got it when the $ made it about half price - it will sheer 16mm plate and punch a 22mm hole in 27mm plate light a finger in jelly, i have a bar cutter on it that sheers from 3mm - 25mm rod, and also a notcher and angle sheer, i cut some angle last week 10mm thick 100mm x 100mm, best bit of kit i have along with my tig welder. steve.

I'd say you did well Steve, That'll do you for just about anything going, short of bending ocean liners and churchill tanks! Perfect small engine aid Very Happy
Makes me wonder the size of your shop Shocked I am confined to a yard full of snow and a bedroom wannabe machine shop, with most of the room taken by two 350 chevy engines that need finishing and dormant small shop machines.
Of course I am more or less just hobbying for now, but hope to gather my main shop gear in the next few years. bounce

Cheers, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Mar 07 2013, 07:06

my workshop is quite big as i work from home in it so i try to keep it clutter free with outsheds for the overspill Smile - i have a wood lathe its a graduate short bed that i am thinking of selling to fund another open crank Smile i get more enjoyment now out of the engines than i do the woodturner.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 12:12

Sounds like a nice set up you have Steve, have you a lathe as that's something I'd like but space won't allow it. Crying or Very sad

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4