www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister domestic pump help ....

4 posters

Go down

Lister domestic pump help .... Empty Lister domestic pump help ....

Post by matt86 Fri Mar 15 2013, 22:49

Hello all .

I have a lister domestic pump .

I have been trying to gather all the peices to get it up and running again as was missing all the seals and cup washers .

I have got a new seal and seal carrier the one that goes in the main body of the pump where the brass rod slides through . Can anyone explain to me which way i fit the carrier and seal ? I am guessing that the seal goes in the cup and it is pushed from the crank end down the chamber and locates in the machined shoulder of the carrier ??

I Think if was fitted the other way from outside every stroke the carrier would just be pulled out .

Ant help apreciated .

Matt

Ps i will get some pictures up ASAP

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lister domestic pump help .... Empty Re: Lister domestic pump help ....

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 12:44

Matt I've been having a look for a pump diagram but can't find it, I thought it might have been some help for you. Maybe do a search see what turns up.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16 2013, 13:03

Matt I did find this if you need any parts.

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Lister-Domestic-Water-Pump-Spares/

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Mar 16 2013, 14:49

thanks stu .

But i got hold of the parts from farm feed systems , as they sell the pumps brand new .

So you can get all the parts for the pump from them , and i have got a diagram but not that clear to which way the seal carrier goes in .

http://www.listerdwaterpump.co.uk/

i recomend them as i spoke to them on wed and the parts was with me yesterday . Exelent service ! I have got the new cup washers soaking in olive oil . How long should i leave them in to soften them up ???

A week ?

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17 2013, 12:14

Errmmm Matt I can't remember now how long to leave them sorry, maybe fire a pm to pete he be best one to ask.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Mar 17 2013, 13:58

stationary stu wrote:Errmmm Matt I can't remember now how long to leave them sorry, maybe fire a pm to pete he be best one to ask.

Stu.

Me? Rolling Eyes I just left them overnight, the only snag with my pump (a Broadwall but similar to a Domestic) is that I rebuilt it two years ago but have never tried it to see if it works so I guess the seals will have dried out by now! Embarassed

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Mar 17 2013, 20:08

Foden wrote:
stationary stu wrote:Errmmm Matt I can't remember now how long to leave them sorry, maybe fire a pm to pete he be best one to ask.

Stu.

Me? Rolling Eyes I just left them overnight, the only snag with my pump (a Broadwall but similar to a Domestic) is that I rebuilt it two years ago but have never tried it to see if it works so I guess the seals will have dried out by now! Embarassed

Pete.

Pete , i think i will leave in untill later in the week and get it belted up this weekend and see if i can get it to pump ...

Pete isnt it about time to try it to see if it pumps water ????

:stick lol: :stick lol: Lister domestic pump help .... 2588890777

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Mar 17 2013, 20:24

Will it pump water, that's a good question Matt! Neutral Probably, though I will have to find it first, last seen at the back of one of the garages.................it pumped water when I bought it in 1996 so hopefully it should do now as it has new leathers and a new con rod and valves. I will have to dig it out and try it, maybe this year....maybe next.... Laughing Not too many of them about these days.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Mar 18 2013, 10:24

think I have seen one once before, but as you say not many about. in that case you should drag it out! :stick lol: :stick lol:

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18 2013, 11:59

Erm sorry to have mentioned Pete Laughing Laughing Laughing it's funny I thought he'd said overnight but after you said a week I thought I'd must of miss read it. Now I'm confussed Laughing Laughing Laughing . II think Pete could be turning a little excentric in his golden years Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Mar 19 2013, 02:54

matt86 wrote:thanks stu .

But i got hold of the parts from farm feed systems , as they sell the pumps brand new .

So you can get all the parts for the pump from them , and i have got a diagram but not that clear to which way the seal carrier goes in .

http://www.listerdwaterpump.co.uk/

i recomend them as i spoke to them on wed and the parts was with me yesterday . Exelent service ! I have got the new cup washers soaking in olive oil . How long should i leave them in to soften them up ???

A week ?

matt

matt i have a tin full of cork fuel taps ive rebuilt with new seals and i just d rop them in the stail fuel until needed
pump seals i just soak for 2-3 days and stick them in , then any more sweeling is done inside the bore Smile
thats what i do mate ,
but heres my question im just coming up to doing the glad packing for the frank pearn pump
the gland makes up the seal and the bore for the bronze piston ,
what do i need to do to the gland packing before ,durring fitting , its 1/2" x 1/2" square and around 7-8ft long needed
do i need to soak in oil before fitting or just as its going in , want to do it right as its £72 qiuds worth with postage and ddont want to be forking out for it twice
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Mar 19 2013, 07:29

Kev all the pumps I have re packed I just cut the desired length poke it in hole or around piston. put the retainer back in and it's as easy as that. If you get the white stuff it's impregnated with PTFE which is self lubricating.

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lister domestic pump help .... Empty lister pump

Post by enfield Sun Mar 24 2013, 17:21

Hi if you put in lister domestic water pump there is a company on there that has the diagrams and price lists that you can printoff.

enfield

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Mar 30 2013, 16:20

Thats where i ordered my parts from ....

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Mar 30 2013, 16:23

I have tried to get the pump to work today but i cant get nothing ... even when i prime the vessel through the priming hole , and even poured water down the inlet pipe held up in the air nothing ... Sad there not even a sucking sound at all . But if i take the vessel off and the valve plate and try and seal the front chamber of the pump and spin it over the oposite way to what the arrow says i can get a squirt of water if leave a small hole for water to excape using my hand .

I have new seals and new gland packing i cant sus it out anyone have any experience with these pumps ???

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down