www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

New member needing help with a Petter M!

2 posters

Go down

New member needing help with a Petter M! Empty New member needing help with a Petter M!

Post by michael.aldworth Mon Mar 18 2013, 22:13

Hi everyone,
I'm new to all this high tec forum stuff - it took me ages to find my way to this page to make this my first post !
I have started to have a look at a Petter Junior, 3 hp, Ser No 54008, made in 1923. It last ran about 25 years ago. The piston had no rings when I took it out, which I found a bit unusual, given that it was running that time long ago!
However I now have rings ready to be put on, but before I replace the piston, need to know if the space of about 1/8th" between the atomiser & the piston is acceptable.
When taking off the mag, which has a spark unbelievably, I did not make a note of the position of the gear wheel on the mag shaft. There does not seem to be any guidance re the position of the gear wheel.
Can anyone help with these queries?
Michael.

michael.aldworth

Back to top Go down

New member needing help with a Petter M! Empty Re: New member needing help with a Petter M!

Post by fowlerfan Mon Mar 18 2013, 22:29

There are a couple of people on other sites far more knowledgable on Petter M's than me but I will try to help initially.

You need to visit here http://www.petternut.co.uk/pettermtypesettings.htm

This will tell you a lot of what you need to know. (atomiser gap and timing) Your engine is a VA model.

Strange about the piston rings, are they definitely gone, I would be surprised if it ran like that knowing how Petters run even with a bad set of rings !

The gearwheel position on the magneto doesn't really matter, its getting the flywheel position and the points just opening thats the key. Basically time it up as per the table on Roland's website. The Petter M wallchart reporduction that you can buy is a great thing to hang in the workshop and gives detailed timing info, and I can recommend the Petter M book published by Kelsey Publishing as a good read.

I have restored a few M types now and working on a 1.5HP at present. Good luck with your engine.

Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New member needing help with a Petter M! Empty Re: New member needing help with a Petter M!

Post by michael.aldworth Mon Mar 18 2013, 23:29

Thanks Dave,

Definitely no rings!
I've got the wallchart, will get the book you recommend.Haven't had time to look at that link yet; will try tomorrow.

Regards,
Michael.

michael.aldworth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down