www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

My first Stationary engine

+10
Biggusdannus
nutgone
Jake Birrell
blackvanman
steve w
kevjhnsn
biomed32uk
Foden
Carpmanjay
Ianhw77k
14 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 Empty Re: My first Stationary engine

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 13:22

I've never tried them Kev, for the reason you say they look plastic! and wouldn't be of much use on an engine, look good for stripping paint off wood LOL. So if your saying they work I might give one a try as I'm fed up with buying wire wheel brushes.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 19 2013, 13:44

stationary stu wrote:I've never tried them Kev, for the reason you say they look plastic! and wouldn't be of much use on an engine, look good for stripping paint off wood LOL. So if your saying they work I might give one a try as I'm fed up with buying wire wheel brushes.

Stu.

I was just thinking the same thing myself.

I would add though, the wire brush wheel I use on my drill is one of the knotted/twisted ones, with the red centre disc like the angle grinder ones Stu linked to earlier. These are much better than the other ones, they are much stronger & last a lot longer. I've only got one & I've had it since I started with my Tarpen last year! It's coming towards the end of it's useful life now but has lasted me ages!

I will try one of Kevs sanding pad thingies though, I've seen them before & wondered if they were any good. But if Irwin are doing them they can't be bad, their stuff tends to be very good, their stanley knife blades are fantastic, expensive but they easily last 3 times longer than a normal one.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Apr 28 2013, 19:06

Sorry about the lack of progress but I have been working on a winch mount for the trailer but today got some more paint stripped!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29 2013, 12:23

Lewis it might be best if you just do a bit at a time then take a break so you don't get fed up, when my son was a teenager he would never just do one thing at a time, he was everywhere so as not to sicken himself of the same boring job. He's in his 20's now and still the same no patients. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 02 2013, 21:02

I know, Its been a while Embarassed but I got some work done today Smile Very Happy Very Happy. I got the fly wheel in primer, The silencer in first coat and the chain guard, oil filler cap, Bearing cap and top plate in first coat! I also got the mag cleaned up. BUT as Matt (nutgone) knows it didn't go well, I got dust in the paint Crying or Very sad

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 8928224380_3714638493
Parts in first coat! by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 8928219630_6058e65f36
Dust on the chain gaurd by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 8928205270_f7d3019e8e
exhaust for a lister D by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 8927603575_eccdd0e05c
Spec plate by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Jun 02 2013, 21:34

coming on a treat - nice exhaust 👍
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 02 2013, 21:50

whole exhaust system is brand new. Just need to get a flange!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03 2013, 12:32

Lewis you'll just have to try and rub it down (lightly) to see if you can flatten the dust on the paint work. Try to find out where the dust/draught is coming from, gap under door and put something down to stop it, also wet the floor so the dust all sticks together and won't blow into the air.
Good job shame about the dust,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 03 2013, 12:43

Also, don't forget (along with a whole bunch of other tips) these engines are only ever viewed from about 6 feet away, take a couple of steps back & look again Wink .

Also, if that's the first top coat then that's fine, as long as the final top coat goes on OK, then you're laughing. Very Happy

Painting is a job of patience, you really need to pick the right day, not just for the weather, but also for your mood. If you're not feeling relaxed & patient, with plenty of time on your hands, then do it another day. 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Mon Jun 03 2013, 17:52

thanks guys I will definitely use that advice is painting outside an option, Like on a sunny day?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 03 2013, 19:04

Can be done, I used to do it. But it's not known for it's good results.

However, I do know someone who once spray painted a whole coach outside. I never saw the results myself.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Jun 03 2013, 20:48

If painting outside you need to remember a couple of things.
Firstly, if any little flies or blowing seeds etc land in the paint just LEAVE THEM! They will brush off fine once the paint has dried. Trying to remove them from wet/drying paint will just mess up the finish.

Also, don't leave it too late in the day. Once the sun starts to go down and the air cools it will bloom the whole finish. Make sure it will be at least touch dry before the temperature starts to drop.

I painted my parent's Dutch barge a few years ago and found all this out to my cost. In the end it looked pretty damn good. Just choose a nice warm day, not too humid and try to keep out of any dusty environments like rally fields Laughing
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 12:57

nutgone wrote:Can be done, I used to do it. But it's not known for it's good results.

However, I do know someone who once spray painted a whole coach outside. I never saw the results myself.

I've painted buses outside but you have to pick your day very carefully, a hot day with no wind is perfect as the paint drys quick so less chance of flies etc getting on it. As Nuts says leave till dry as you can't see flys legs stuck in the paint once you've wiped the fly away Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Tue Jun 04 2013, 22:55

stationary stu wrote:
nutgone wrote:Can be done, I used to do it. But it's not known for it's good results.

I've painted buses outside but you have to pick your day very carefully, a hot day with no wind is perfect as the paint drys quick so less chance of flies etc getting on it. As Nuts says leave till dry as you can't see flys legs stuck in the paint once you've wiped the fly away Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

It would be a couple of weeks before anything gets done as I have homework then I'm away at a roupe on Saturday and at a show sunday Very Happy

Last edited by Lewis MacRae on Wed Jun 05 2013, 08:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change spelling)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Jun 05 2013, 00:07

Lewis MacRae wrote:
stationary stu wrote:

Stu.

It would be a couple of weeks before anything gets done ass I have homework then I'm away at a roupe on Saturday and at a show sunday Very Happy

you may want to watch your spelling on your homework Very Happy
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05 2013, 12:58

blackvanman wrote:
you may want to watch your spelling on your homework Very Happy
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

:stick lol: lol! :stick lol: lol! :stick lol: lol! :stick lol: Your bad Andy.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Jun 06 2013, 22:44

Got some more bits in first top coat today. also pic of flywheel in primer.

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 8973172734_364a01fa56
Other parts in first top coat by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

My first Stationary engine - Page 2 8971984059_39be857608
flywheel of a Lister D in primer by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Jun 06 2013, 22:58

Looking good Lewis. 👍

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Jun 06 2013, 23:01

cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07 2013, 13:39

Looking good Lewis, have you sorted out your dust problem?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Fri Jun 07 2013, 18:26

No not yet, it's only the first coat so at the moment it's no big issue

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 08 2013, 12:39

Lewis MacRae wrote:No not yet, it's only the first coat so at the moment it's no big issue

Lewis all coats are important, if you get a run or a bit of dust on it now by the time you get the last coat on, it will stand out a lot more.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Jun 08 2013, 17:50

All coats are important, but the closer you get to top coat the more important the coat is.

It's a bit of a paradox, a good finish is dependant on what is underneath it, but if anything is going to go wrong, you want it to go wrong on any but the final top coat, because then you will have a chance to correct it & still get a good, single top coat (painting a top coat in several different applications is generally not going to look good, it really needs to go on in one continuous coat, which is why it's so important to have all mistakes removed).

So yes & no. Wink

Also, don't forget, all these rules are for the best possible finish. You can still make mistakes & cut corners & be left with a perfectly acceptable finish, it all depends how picky you want to be.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:08

I've sanded out the runs would that help smooth out the second top coat ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:40

Lewis MacRae wrote:I've sanded out the runs would that help smooth out the second top coat ?

Yep, that's the way. Nice & smooth for the final coat. 👍

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next