www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D strange lumps

4 posters

Go down

Lister D strange lumps Empty Lister D strange lumps

Post by SussexSteamFan Sun Apr 14 2013, 17:20

Hi all,
My Lister D has some lumps at various locations on it and I have often wondered what they were for. Were they part of the casting that could be modified for a differenet design (i.e. an F type, opposite rotation, air cooled etc.). I enclose some pictures to show you what I mean. Also, did all shaft driven engines have the old style fuel tank or were some built with the later 1 gallon tank like mine from new?

Lister D strange lumps Lister20
Lister D strange lumps Lister21
Lister D strange lumps Lister22

Toby.

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Lister D strange lumps Empty Re: Lister D strange lumps

Post by Abes Sun Apr 14 2013, 18:14

Just a bad case of no rallyitis mate lol! can be cured by taking her to lots of shows

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Apr 14 2013, 18:55

Think most of them are casting marks Toby, but some may be there for extra strength if there's a bolt on the inside or something. I suppose some may be for different models, maybe they could be drilled & tapped for different purposes.

Unless it really is what Abes suggests. :chin: :chin: :chin:

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Apr 14 2013, 19:44

Some shaft driven D types had the later type tank, and then some of the later ones reverted back to the low mounted small tank! It all depended on application and whatever was lurking in the stores as Lister NEVER chucked anything away.

The two circular 'lumps' on either side of the cylinder head were bosses for tapping threads for the rad cooled models support brackets, also the petrol/paraffin engines had the small starter tank bolted there. There were many add-ons, some D's had the fuel tank on the spark plug side of the head so they would have had tapped holes in different places. As folk say, very rarely are two D types exactly the same, I have three (plus another in the pipeline!) that are vastly different to each other.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Apr 14 2013, 19:52

Foden wrote:Some shaft driven D types had the later type tank, and then some of the later ones reverted back to the low mounted small tank! It all depended on application and whatever was lurking in the stores as Lister NEVER chucked anything away.

The two circular 'lumps' on either side of the cylinder head were bosses for tapping threads for the rad cooled models support brackets, also the petrol/paraffin engines had the small starter tank bolted there. There were many add-ons, some D's had the fuel tank on the spark plug side of the head so they would have had tapped holes in different places. As folk say, very rarely are two D types exactly the same, I have three (plus another in the pipeline!) that are vastly different to each other.

Pete.

let's face it, if anyone was going to know, it was going to be this guy! Very Happy Thanks Pete, I completely forgot all about the rad cooled models, it all makes sense now, & when I eventually get round to restoring my nephews one (with them of course) I can tell them all about what the strange lumps are for. It will make me look really good & knowledgeable on such matters. Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down