www.stationaryengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Pressure lamps and stoves ..

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Pressure lamps and stoves ..

Post by matt86 on Mon Jun 03 2013, 07:22

just letting you know ...

If you need any spares ive got a few here .

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Mon Jun 03 2013, 08:33

matt86 wrote:just letting you know ...

If you need any spares ive got a few here .

matt
cheers Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus on Mon Jun 03 2013, 10:59

I couldn't resist showing a picture of my lamps. I also have a 3 or 4 four posters but they are up country.

Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Mon Jun 03 2013, 11:07

You guys sure have a large collection of lamps and you've done a great job restoring them.

Well done,

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Mon Jun 03 2013, 15:35

stationary stu wrote:Well I've only got 1 and that's all I need. Thing is now how the hell do I start it Laughing Laughing Laughing Years ago my dad had one and he used to soak the wick (if it's called that, it's the bit you light) in meths until it heated something else up then after about 5 minutes he turned the valve and it lit ok so what is the correct thing to do, I know I pump it 10 times to start with but when else do I pump it?

Matt with 6 the same it might be worth selling a few to get an older more rare lamp.

Stu.
My personal preference Stu, is to put the meth pre heater in place, light it, then I pump like hell for a bit while waiting lol. Once the meths flame is just touching the bottom of the mantle (any longer will be too late) gently open the valve and with any luck and all being well you'll have light Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Mon Jun 03 2013, 21:23

blackvanman wrote:
stationary stu wrote:Well I've only got 1 and that's all I need. Thing is now how the hell do I start it Laughing Laughing Laughing Years ago my dad had one and he used to soak the wick (if it's called that, it's the bit you light) in meths until it heated something else up then after about 5 minutes he turned the valve and it lit ok so what is the correct thing to do, I know I pump it 10 times to start with but when else do I pump it?

Matt with 6 the same it might be worth selling a few to get an older more rare lamp.

Stu.
My personal preference Stu, is to put the meth pre heater in place, light it, then I pump like hell for a bit while waiting lol. Once the meths flame is just touching the bottom of the mantle (any longer will be too late) gently open the valve and with any luck and all being well you'll have light Smile

pump it like hell ... i seem to recall tilley say to do 10 pumps before lighting , you can also leave the control knob open and pre heat it and after a while when the meths starts to burn down give it a few pumps ... thats what i do with the vapalux's too .

We all have our own ways to light them .

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Mon Jun 03 2013, 22:46

matt86 wrote:
blackvanman wrote:

Stu.

pump it like hell ... i seem to recall tilley say to do 10 pumps before lighting , you can also leave the control knob open and pre heat it and after a while when the meths starts to burn down give it a few pumps ... thats what i do with the vapalux's too .

We all have our own ways to light them .

matt

And yet I still have my eyebrows Wink
Twisted Evil

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Mon Jun 03 2013, 23:07

i still have mine too , your idea pumping like hell seems a bit unsafe , i did it once with more than 20 pumps ... that was one hell of a pop il tel ye ...

when you pre heat with contol knob open and either pump or air valve closed and just pump after a while seems to work for me best as normally pops after around a few pumps with a nice controled soft pop . Then pump up to full pressure ..

Andy how many pumps do you give a tilley to max pressure ?

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Tue Jun 04 2013, 09:40

matt86 wrote:i still have mine too , your idea pumping like hell seems a bit unsafe , i did it once with more than 20 pumps ... that was one hell of a pop il tel ye ...

when you pre heat with contol knob open and either pump or air valve closed and just pump after a while seems to work for me best as normally pops after around a few pumps with a nice controled soft pop . Then pump up to full pressure ..

Andy how many pumps do you give a tilley to max pressure ?

matt
That would depend on A) the efficiancy of your pump B) the amount of parrafin in the tank.
The less parafin in the tank the more air space meaning more pumps to fill the void. I usualy pump until it just starts to feel harder to pump.

As said its my personnal preffered method lol, but the key with pre pumping is to only open the valve slowly not whack it open Smile.

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Tue Jun 04 2013, 11:01

Now a video showing both ways of lighting would be good a let us decide. Very Happy

Stu.

Engines are just like Pringles .... one is never enough.  Very Happy                                        I used to love tractors all I would ever think/talk about. Then one day out of the blue I went on to statinary engines, So you could say I'm an extractor fan.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Tue Jun 04 2013, 12:31

stationary stu wrote:

Now a video showing both ways of lighting would be good a let us decide. Very Happy

Stu.
Oh FFS lol

only if Matt gives a demo on meths safety Very Happy
lol! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by blackvanman on Wed Jun 05 2013, 14:08; edited 1 time in total

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by seniorengineers on Tue Jun 04 2013, 19:54

Blimey, This thread is going on a tad, better than all yer engine issues, not gonna get involved with the conversation here, so will leave to others, tilley all get bored with it, lol! lol! cheers David.

seniorengineers
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Wed Jun 19 2013, 19:38

seniorengineers wrote:Blimey, This thread is going on a tad, better than all yer engine issues, not gonna get involved with the conversation here, so will leave to others, tilley all get bored with it,    lol!  lol!  cheers David.

david that one never gets old does it .....

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:31

Well not as old as David :stick lol::stick lol::stick lol:

I mentioned earlier in this thread about an oven, well the other day I was at the lock up and checked the oven and it is a tilley oven, anybody know how they work??? LOL

Stu.

I'm sure the video is comming along nicely Andy and Matt Very Happy:lol:

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 on Thu Jun 20 2013, 19:22

stu the video is on the back burner Rolling Eyes

matt

matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman on Thu Jun 20 2013, 21:26

Stu, never seen one, is it a stove top type?
or one of the more modrn gas ovens they did? pics required Smile

blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stationary stu on Fri Jun 28 2013, 12:12

blackvanman wrote:Stu, never seen one, is it a stove top type?
or one of the more modrn gas ovens they did? pics required Smile

Andy I can't remember, it was just the last time I was at the lock up I remembered to have a look, I'll try and remember to take a pic next time I'm along there.

Stu.

stationary stu
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 02:24

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top