www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston Hornsby 6PB

+6
nutgone
blackvanman
kevjhnsn
Smitty
matt86
Foden
10 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 5 Empty Re: Ruston Hornsby 6PB

Post by nutgone Wed May 29 2013, 14:29

Interesting exhibit, a train set run by an engine.

I was thinking, what if I could get an old printing press to run off an engine, that way I could say it's a stationery stationary engine! Wink

(No honestly, I would like to do that. That really is how my mind works Laughing )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Wed May 29 2013, 19:01

Don't worry Stu, I can be a bit thick at times Laughing 'Der my brain hurts'

Matt, you could go for an Adana. You would have to automate it as they are hand operated and you would really need it to go quite slow, probably 2x 40:1 gearboxes. Otherwise you will need a lorry to transport a standard letterpress machine about Laughing

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed May 29 2013, 20:11

I really like your Idea Matt, but wouldn't it be a bit heavy to lug around unless you had a trailer?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed May 29 2013, 20:14

what engine did you use to power your Train layout scratch scratch

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 29 2013, 20:34

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I would use for the Stationery Stationary Engine display, but it would have to be something to do with paper, pencils, pens, printing, books or something like that. So not necessarily a printing press.

What about the old printing machines that schools used before the photocopier was invented??? Not sure how they worked or what they did, but I do remember they had a handle to wind round.... scratch :chin: study

Hmmmm, needs some thought, but might be good for some kind of future project.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rubythursday Wed May 29 2013, 21:15

A Gestetner! Great fun - typed on a 'skin' and then put on the drum where ink was squeezed through, bit like silk screening. Rember getting covered in black ink!

1913 Hornsby L Type 8HP, 1926 Blackstone 5HP, 1927 Lister D 'Shafty', 1940 Stuart Turner P5LY generating set, 1944 Ruston Hornsby 6PB, 1945 Wolseley WD2, 1946 Norman SC, 1971 Rover 2000 auto, 1990 VW T4 camper, 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 Auto, 2005 Volvo S60 auto.
rubythursday
rubythursday
Expert
Expert

http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Wed May 29 2013, 21:18

You mean a Roneo Vickers duplicator! probably as rare as hens teeth now and doubt you would get the stencils or ink for it Crying or Very sad
Gestetner! Yuck filthy foreign rubbish Laughing

Look up Adana and you will see what I mean, its a platen press just like a large letterpress machine but table top size.

The engine that was powering the trains was a Bernard WO driving a dynamo to a battery and then through an inverter to get AC finally back down to 14v AC for the trains.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 29 2013, 22:43

OK, you're all talking gibberish now, I'm confused! Shocked Laughing

I think I know roughly where you're coming from though. It's really a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but food for thought.

I was thinking more like one of the small presses like they have at Amberley Chalk Pits museum, but I think only Mark will know what I'm on about there, otherwise it would have to be something like what has been mentioned (don't ask me to name the machines mentioned Shocked ).

Or, maybe a pencil making machine!

Or, failing that, a pencil sharpener! :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 13:51

An engine powered pencil sharpener sounds a good idea. :chin: Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 5 2588890777 Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 5 2588890777 :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5