www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston Hornsby 6PB

+6
nutgone
blackvanman
kevjhnsn
Smitty
matt86
Foden
10 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 Empty Re: Ruston Hornsby 6PB

Post by nutgone Fri May 10 2013, 23:36

Here's a few pics taken today, I will say a little more tomorrow as it's a little late to be typing an essay here now....

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2013-05-10132344_zps43f81be9

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2013-05-10131701_zpsabcca6e2

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2013-05-10131713_zps3ec0c45a

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2013-05-10131727_zps90175ead

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2013-05-10131741_zpsc4ba0b5c

Enjoy Very Happy .

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Sat May 11 2013, 08:00

Very very nice Matt Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy If Brian doesn't like that I'll give him a kick!

Thanks again mate for doing it, that really got me out of a hole.

Cant wait to get it home and have a tinker myself bounce Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2588890777 bounce Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 2588890777

Mark

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by rubythursday Sat May 11 2013, 08:26

Excellent cheers

1913 Hornsby L Type 8HP, 1926 Blackstone 5HP, 1927 Lister D 'Shafty', 1940 Stuart Turner P5LY generating set, 1944 Ruston Hornsby 6PB, 1945 Wolseley WD2, 1946 Norman SC, 1971 Rover 2000 auto, 1990 VW T4 camper, 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 Auto, 2005 Volvo S60 auto.
rubythursday
rubythursday
Expert
Expert

http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 12:34

Well done Nuts another cracking job mate. Only thing I'd do if it was mine is give it a few coats of clear lacquer to get some depth and a good shine.

Nice job, well done Nuts,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat May 11 2013, 12:43

It's got 3 coats of lacquer on it, sprayed on though. It needs to harden for 2 weeks then it can be polished.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 12:49

Oh..... I thought it would have a little better shine in the sun light, maybe once everything has hardened off it should shine ok. 👍

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat May 11 2013, 15:01

It's got that kind of orange peel finish you get with spray finishes sometimes, seems to show up worse on camera. But once the lacquer has completely hardened off it can be polished. It only seems to have done it on the tank though, maybe because it's not a flat surface? I don't know.

Anyway, it's gone now, Mark's just left with it. I ran it up this morning though & got a video of it in all it's glory, with the transfers on & gold lettering done. Will post it up in a bit, it should be on my YouTube by now though. Just having a late lunch now. (my usual time, but late for everyone else).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat May 11 2013, 15:47

Here we go, here's the video. This was started from warm (I had been running it & stopped it quickly just to make the video, this seems to be the only time it smokes on start-up, but it soon settles down).

& no faffing about winding it back to compression, just start the damn thing! Laughing (as long as the timing is set correctly mind)....

I did what I could to get the shakes off the video, but I was in a bit of a tight space. Still, it is what it is. Enjoy.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun May 12 2013, 14:06

You have done a great job of it!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 Empty lovely

Post by Raymond_Hopwood Sun May 12 2013, 20:01

hi nutty Matt sorry its late but only just got round to catching up on all the posts lots of them lol but lovely work on the Ruston Hornsby they are a lovely engine and yo have done them credit with this restoration it looks great and sounds great to well done
ray

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun May 12 2013, 20:19

Cheers Ray, & Lewis, & everyone else.

I still wasn't quite happy with the finish on the tank, but after 2 weeks it can be polished, so will look better in time. Trouble is, as it was for someone else, I was being ULTRApicky!

The lettering was all picked out in gold, & it's only the 2nd engine I've painted lettering on, so I wasn't sure how it would go, but I was actually quite pleased with that bit. I'm going to pick out the lettering on the Stuart Turner now as well, but I will do that in black I think. (might do a poll of different colours on the thread, let you lot decide).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 13:41

Great work Nuts and it does sound well, it's own has to be happy with the work you've done.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu May 16 2013, 21:38

Since its return, the 6PB has had a little titivation Smile not that there was anything wrong with Nuts work but a few bits that needed finishing off. The drain tap given to Matt wasn't really suitable, so some pipe work was added and a better taper type tap fitted. The fuel pipe rather snaked its way between the tank and the carb so that was realigned and the nasty bit of araldite removed to reveal, as suspected, a broken solder joint. This was repaired and the whole lot refitted. I wasn't happy with the globs of oil appearing on the inside of the flywheel, so it was removed and the new felt seal inspected. This wasn't thick enough so wasn't compressing and making a seal. Fortunately I had some felt strip and this was cut and fitted and the flywheel temporarily refitted further out on the shaft. Now the inside edge has received a real beating with a hammer and this had left little high spots on the corner of the rim. I could do nothing with the hammer marks but ran the angle grinder with a sanding pad to remove the high spots with the engine running, finishing off with emery paper. Flywheel refitted, pulley fitted and it was just a case of going round with the small paint brush touching in any chips or added bits. Finally it had a good run for about 1/2 hour.

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 IMG_2985a_zpsbc02bbe1

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 16 2013, 23:16

Yeah, someone had given that flywheel a bloody good beating at some point in the past, it was quite something to see in the flesh! affraid
(shame, I don't think I got any decent pics of it).

Shame about that felt seal, would've been better off putting the old one back in! If you bought it as a Ruston spare you should probably inform whoever sold it to you.

Anyway, she's looking lovely. The new drain tap is a vast improvement (I never like seeing domestic "sink-type" taps on engine drains). & the new fuel pipe sets it off nicely. I was going to remove that Araldite, but was afraid I wouldn't have the necessary parts to repair whatever was underneath. Incidentally I've just ordered a pack of those solder on brass nipples for 1/4" pipe, found some cheap at last & thought it would be a good addition to my stores. I've got the 1/4" copper pipe, just need to find a cheap source of 1/4" BSP nuts now.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Thu May 16 2013, 23:49

A thing of beauty and sound,

Just love the looks and how it started and runs,

Very nice job and engine,
Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 22:21

Hmmm.

If I was restoring an engine for someone else I sure wouldn't leave araldite on the fuel pipe! Or a leaking oil seal for that matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 23 2013, 23:27

I'll treat that comment with the contempt it deserves. Rolling Eyes

(Got the username right at least).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Fri May 24 2013, 10:31

Now now! silent We don't want to spoil things here.
To be fair to Matt, we had agreed beforehand that I would do the mechanical bits and Matt would do the clean, paint and rebuild. Trouble is I ran out of time and forgot a few bits so things like the tap and fuel pipe got left as they were. All sorted now and today is...
handover day to the owner bounce

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 12:27

Bigkid wrote:Hmmm.

If I was restoring an engine for someone else I sure wouldn't leave araldite on the fuel pipe! Or a leaking oil seal for that matter.

KEEP THINGS NICE PLEASE!!!!! This is a friendly forum and want to keep it that way, so anyone that doesn't like it, tough and there's the door.

So if you don't have anything nice to say then best not say anything.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Sun May 26 2013, 21:26

Well the engine got delivered Saturday in the end due to it persisting on Friday. Nervously called the chap tonight to see how it went today. At first he said it kept stopping every 10 minutes, that got me thinking! Shocked Embarassed Then he added a fellow exhibitor came along and adjusted the choke wheel and she ran for the rest of the day Very Happy Phew.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 12:26

Good to hear it's all running fine now, but can't seem to find a new video link! Suspect Suspect Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Mon May 27 2013, 20:49

Stu, perhaps that's because the engine was one end of the county and we were the other Exclamation I think it would have to be telepathy link rather than video link Laughing Still our engines ran ok.

Ruston Hornsby 6PB - Page 4 IMG_3079_zps78e62f51

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 28 2013, 12:41

Great pics thanks for sharing, not sure about the train set up as that's not a video either. Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Tue May 28 2013, 23:18

Stu, I'm not much into videos, take up a lot of space on the camera and ages to load up on t'internet. The trains were our exhibit this weekend driven by a stationary engine of course but not one of mine. We did use an ex-GPO Villiers set previously but that got a bit wearing after a few hours buzzing in your ears. Anyway I've strayed enough off topic or else I'll get ex-communicated!

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 29 2013, 13:10

Only pulling your leg about the video so please don't take offence. Good idea to run the train set shame about the noise spoiling things for you.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next