www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Vire 6 engine

3 posters

Go down

Vire 6 engine Empty Vire 6 engine

Post by michael3 Mon May 20 2013, 17:04

My first post...

OK, well not strictly a stationary engine but I think my interest area may turn out to be in old marine and boat engines. Small ones! This is a Vire 6 which started for the first time today after something of a rebuild. All OK if a tad rumbly. It is a 6 hp 250 cc ish two stroke with 2:1 reduction box, forward and reverse. It did have a Siba Dynastart but this seemed unable to turn the engine over against the compression so I have got rid which makes the whole thing much simpler.

Vire 6 engine 8757335219_ba40801477_c
IMG_1522 by dralowid, on Flickr

Having got it running there is plenty still to do, the air cleaner is ex Triumph Spitfire, the carb ex lawnmower and part of the exhaust a top hose courtesy of a Kia something down the scrappie. I did also have a Ford Ka silencer attached to the exhaust but 1) water won't pass through it and 2) it didn't really make much difference. Most inconsiderate of Ford not to take into account the needs of those of us who have wet exhausts! It needs new pipes and the red lead wound aroud the HT lead is my emergency kill wire (shorting low tension) since the switch is erratic. Wet exhaust of course hence rubber which may or may not last. Proper marine grade rubber exhaust pipe is around £30 per metre. The system also injects cold water into the exhaust just before the alloy expansion chamber, I think this is supposed to quieten it down. Hmmm.

Vire 6 engine 8758455926_bc0a3e4e53_c
IMG_1527 by dralowid, on Flickr

As I understand it the Vire was made in Finland (hence my choice of blue) by a company called Valmet. It dates from the '50s or '60s. The design changed for later models which have a very tidy boxy look. It was sold as being very light and capable of being carried single handed. All I can say is that they must have been damn strong in Finland, presumably all that rollmop herring!

Many engines like these were removed from boats when small diesels became lighter and more affordable. Arona, Ducati, Lombardini were some of the makes of cheaper diesels available in the '60s. I doubt anyone would want to install a petrol engine in an enclosed boat that has cookers, gas etc, it is just not worth the risk. So if it were going back into a boat it would need to be an open launch or similar.

I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do with this engine once it is presentable so any suggestions most welcome!

Michael

michael3
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Vire 6 engine Empty Re: Vire 6 engine

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 11:35

Nice tidy little engine Michael why do you need to move it on? Nothing wrong with taking it to shows as you could make an interesting exhibit if you can sort your water problem out.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Tue May 21 2013, 11:45

For god's nobody tell nuts!!!!!!
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
yep you see a few marine items at rallies, go for it Smile

Oh and lots of boats have petrol inboard engines, I used to spend all my time repairing them Very Happy By far the worst ever fuel type for boat engines is gas conversions Wink 3 boats in 3 weeks went bang due to gas on Southampton water in 2006 Wink

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21 2013, 11:50

Andy, Nuts has gone bigger, more like an engine out of a tug boat would suit him. lol! :stick lol: lol! :stick lol:

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by michael3 Tue May 21 2013, 13:34

Thanks for your comments, I will certainly spend more time on it and when I have made some sort of trolley, perhaps with a built in water tank arrangement, I might even expose myself to ridicule!

For the future I guess my Holy Grail would be a tiny four stroke water cooled engine of some description, older the better. No competition for Nuts...

michael3
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by michael3 Sun May 26 2013, 10:53

OK so maybe I am short on patience or over sensitive but I am going to get rid of this little beast and look for something quieter, slower, less powerful. The neighbours haven't actually complained yet but I can feel it coming...

michael3
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 12:18

Shame to have to let it go Michael, but I'm thinking the neighbours is just an excuse your looking for, hope it works. 👍 Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by michael3 Sun May 26 2013, 21:02

Stu,

You might just be right...

Michael

michael3
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 11:41

I've read your other post and them neighbours have something to answer too, forcing you to see this lovely engine just to keep them happy. I hope you can find a suitable replacement.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue May 28 2013, 22:54

I saw this one come up on my eBay search. It's a shame you're getting rid of it, if I had the money I would have a bid myself, I've always wanted to know what they're like as an engine.

They were quite popular with the yacht owners as they could be operated at strange angles, whereas the Stuart Turners weren't quite so versatile, having a more regular carburettor.

I know I've just sold my Stuart, but that money is earmarked for getting my car back on the road, I'm not allowed to buy any more engines with it until the car is road legal again (that's me telling myself & being told that the car is either to go back on the road or on the market, as it's now been on the drive for several months!)

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down