www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Dorman 1ab 9hp

+2
nutgone
Biggusdannus
6 posters

Go down

Dorman 1ab 9hp Empty Dorman 1ab 9hp

Post by Biggusdannus Wed May 22 2013, 00:34

Hi all I picked up a little Dorman engine up today. It is badged as Aveling & Barford made by W.h Dorman, from what I have been told it would've powered a calfdozer.
It is substantially complete but most of the parts are in bad order so this will be a long term project. What surprised me was despite it's small size it's rated at 9hp!
Dorman 1ab 9hp T2ec1610
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Dorman 1ab 9hp Empty Re: Dorman 1ab 9hp

Post by Biggusdannus Wed May 22 2013, 00:35

Dorman 1ab 9hp Kgrhqj10
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 22 2013, 11:36

What a pretty looking little engine. (OK, it's a rusty lump now, but I can see through that). It almost has a kind of marine engine look about it.

I reckon that'll look the b*ll*cks when it's done. Can't say I've seen one before. & yes, 9hp seems a lot from such a small engine. Is it a sidevalve? It looks like one. Which would make it petrol (no such thing as sidevalve diesels AFAIK). So yes, 9hp :chin: Wonder what she sounds like???

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 22 2013, 11:38

You know what else it reminds me of? The Wolseley WD & Ruston Hornsby PT ranges. Just better looking than either (nicer lines I reckon).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed May 22 2013, 12:45

yes it is sidevalve, it's sit quite squat doesn't it. I found a video of a calfdozer with the same engine in, if I can get this one to run that well i'll be happy.
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 22 2013, 15:02

Blimey! That started easy! Shocked

Good luck with that one Laughing

Nah! I'm sure yours will start & run just as nice. 👍

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed May 22 2013, 15:09

The engine is fitted with a Wico impulse mag so it should start with a flick of the flywheel like a wolseley.
Funny as I picked up a Wolseley WD2 from the same place! You can see the Dorman behind the wd to give you an idea of size.

Dorman 1ab 9hp 94235910
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 22 2013, 16:19

Did you start unloading then suddenly remember to take a photo?
Or did you drive home with it hanging out the back of the trailer like that?!! lol! lol! lol!

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed May 22 2013, 16:31

aha, no that was a quick take a pic as i'm gonna be knackered after unloading these two! They are in the garden which is about 12ft above the road up a steep slope! Phew!
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Wed May 22 2013, 18:05

9 Horse is a fair output, combination of higher revs and a decent sized bore dia. I would imagine.

Good luck with the restoration!
Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed May 22 2013, 18:56

There used to be a few of those Dormans on the rally scene (my mate had one several years ago) and there are still a couple rallied locally. I was next to one at Pickering a few years ago and it was running at around 1500 rpm with no exhaust, quite a painful experience! Shocked The owner decided finally that he couldn't stand the noise either and turned it off, run at a sensible speed with a decent exhaust they sound quite pleasant. Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 12:55

Looks like you found a very interesting engine, it's strange how all these old engines had more shape and character then Petters and Listers or the same era. They seem to have a nice shaped head and the curved sort of domed top to finish it off, very nice.
9hp does sound a lot for an old engine of this size but when you think about the weight of that dozer you'd need a bit of power just to move it.

Good luck with the restoration and looking forward to hearing how it comes along and I hope it's not too long a project.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Thu May 23 2013, 13:07

Thanks Stu, I won't be starting the restoration until the winter as i'm just finishing a repaint of a large engine and after that's put back together space will be limited. I will move the wolseley on fairly quickly and also those Dk's I have with any luck!
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu May 23 2013, 18:15

Biggusdannus wrote:Hi all I picked up a little Dorman engine up today. It is badged as Aveling & Barford made by W.h Dorman, from what I have been told it would've powered a calfdozer.
It is substantially complete but most of the parts are in bad order so this will be a long term project. What surprised me was despite it's small size it's rated at 9hp!
Dorman 1ab 9hp T2ec1610

look forward to this winters nights watching tthe progress of this little beasty 9hp and a good lump of a flywheel too
👍
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Oct 23 2013, 18:49

Managed to do a little bit on the Dorman over the past couple of days, the bottom end is sound but the mag is seized/mechanically stuck. The piston is aluminium and the rings are broken and badly corroded in their grooves and the gudgeon pin is also stuck and badly corroded, the valves and their seats will need refacing, the spark plug broke off in the head too! Heres a couple of better quality photos of the engine loosely assembled.
Dorman 1ab 9hp 2013-110
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Oct 23 2013, 18:49

Dorman 1ab 9hp 2013-111
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Dorman 1ab 9hp Empty AB1

Post by billypurves Wed Oct 23 2013, 20:36

Is the mag stuck in the engine or is the mag siezed?
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum