www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A couple of new toys to play with

+6
Abes
Lewis MacRae
lister dan
Stamford24
Appletop
Foden
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 Empty Re: A couple of new toys to play with

Post by Stamford24 Sun Jun 02 2013, 22:42

If your worried about them bolts dropping out, I'd put some Loctite on them and leave well alone. They will be steel and the flywheel Cast Iron so welding the 2 wont necessarily work, plus your close to the keyway and centre bore, don't want to distort those or put stresses into the flywheel which could cause cracks. If you plan to put a Ruston flat pulley on then they will be hidden inside. Sounds like its had a few rebuilds in the past then with all the different paint colours!
Could you get in behind the sleeve with a dremmel and cut a slot in it? Otherwise I think you will have to bust it off and make a new one.
Actually I'm being stupid here, that bit of shaft sticking out threads on. You will have to use a pipe wrench but it should unscrew anticlockwise. The you can take the sleeve off and modify it on the bench!
Mark

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 Empty Re: A couple of new toys to play with

Post by Foden Sun Jun 02 2013, 22:50

When I stripped the paint off of my PT I found traces of blue, apparently according to Ray Hooley that was the primer/undercoat that Rustons used. My tube on the starter end of the crank is metal and goes right up to the bearing housing, there are two round headed screw that retain it and I THINK that it is slotted as Stamford says. Mine is a 1944 3 HP @1200 rpm version and has the Lucas RS1 mag and the WArtime bakelite spec plate and fuel tank cap. My mate has one similar to yours and the timing gears stripped their teeth last weekend, luckily a local company has some new steel gears in stock that just require a little machining to fit so he will soon be back in action again!

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Sun Jun 02 2013, 22:53

Looks like the core plug next the exhaust outlet might need some attention, looks to have pushed out almost level with the casting on one side.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Sun Jun 02 2013, 22:55

Foden wrote:When I stripped the paint off of my PT I found traces of blue, apparently according to Ray Hooley that was the primer/undercoat that Rustons used. My tube on the starter end of the crank is metal and goes right up to the bearing housing, there are two round headed screw that retain it and I THINK that it is slotted as Stamford says. Mine is a 1944 3 HP @1200 rpm version and has the Lucas RS1 mag and the WArtime bakelite spec plate and fuel tank cap. My mate has one similar to yours and the timing gears stripped their teeth last weekend, luckily a local company has some new steel gears in stock that just require a little machining to fit so he will soon be back in action again!

Pete.

Yep that's the original ones Pete but this looks like a replacement. That's obviously why its shorter that the shaft so you can undo that. Bit ar*e about face if you ask me, a slot would have been much easier. Yep mag gears are becoming a common weakness on these engines. RS ones do it too although not so often as they don't have the shock of the impulse.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon Jun 03 2013, 21:49

Well its off now drilled a larger hole in it then prised it over the starting handle stud, its buggered now, though not bothered as a new one will be made out of steel with the extra slot to go over the stud like it should have had

Stamford24 wrote:
Foden wrote:When I stripped the paint off of my PT I found traces of blue, apparently according to Ray Hooley that was the primer/undercoat that Rustons used. My tube on the starter end of the crank is metal and goes right up to the bearing housing, there are two round headed screw that retain it and I THINK that it is slotted as Stamford says. Mine is a 1944 3 HP @1200 rpm version and has the Lucas RS1 mag and the WArtime bakelite spec plate and fuel tank cap. My mate has one similar to yours and the timing gears stripped their teeth last weekend, luckily a local company has some new steel gears in stock that just require a little machining to fit so he will soon be back in action again!

Pete.

Yep that's the original ones Pete but this looks like a replacement. That's obviously why its shorter that the shaft so you can undo that. Bit ar*e about face if you ask me, a slot would have been much easier. Yep mag gears are becoming a common weakness on these engines. RS ones do it too although not so often as they don't have the shock of the impulse.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Jun 09 2013, 20:44

Well with a bit of free time this afternoon thought id crack on again with the PT, waiting on delivery of some small drill wire brushes so cracked on with the extras managed to make a new shaft cover out of steel tube and a bit of steel plate also now has a slot in the end as it should have done to start with, also managed to strip and paint the plates, carb and oil filler neck and have started making a new drain plate as old one was a bit on the ruff side and not very well made also managed to find a new drain tap and fuel tap in my odds and sods box so that was a bonus, hopefully will pick up some topcoat tomorrow so can get on with that then, pics below

A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6090010
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6090011
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6090012
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6090013

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jun 09 2013, 21:13

Cracking on with it well Abes ...

Am i being shocked this is one that is being painted for once ? Shocked

Run out of the grate black have you ??? lol! lol! lol!

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:15

You have cracked on with it since I last saw it. Looks good!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Jun 09 2013, 22:17

LOL yer this one is going back orignal ie Deep bronze green, still got to use a bit of the grate blackner on the exhaust got to have a bit somewhere lol

matt86 wrote:Cracking on with it well Abes ...

Am i being shocked this is one that is being painted for once ? Shocked

Run out of the grate black have you ??? lol! lol! lol!

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 13:48

I think Abes got the grate blackner cheap buying in bulk, 45 gallons is a lot to use up. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Looking forward to seeing it back to original colour Abes, well done.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Jun 15 2013, 21:18

Another quick update, managed to weld some new brackets on to the tank, put the first coat of green on the removed parts and also started making the new starting handle, oh and also cleaned up the flywheel and made new gaskets pics below

A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6150010
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6150011
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6150012
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6150013

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Jun 16 2013, 12:01

Nice work Abes,  coming along well. 

Will you be taking it out this season? 

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 16 2013, 12:10

Looks good

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Jun 16 2013, 12:54

Hope too mate, looks like ive now sourced a carb and an orignal exhaust after a bit of bartering, have also redone the tank brackets as was not happy with them as dont think the metal was thick enough and there was to much spring in them for my liking 

matt86 wrote:Nice work Abes,  coming along well. 

Will you be taking it out this season? 

Matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Jun 23 2013, 13:05

Quick update cant do much with the engine at the moment so thought id make a start on the blade sharpner so stripped it down to bare metal degreased and cleaned then reblackened, need to make a new trolley for it and purchase a new file but other than that jobs a goodun pics below

A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230010
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230011
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230012
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230013
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230014
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230015
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230016
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6230017

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Jun 23 2013, 14:18

Abes, are you going to use the bandsaw blade sharpener? That would make a brill exhibit that is also practical as you can also use it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Jun 23 2013, 16:02

Yer going to be rallied mate something a bit diffrent for a change

Lewis MacRae wrote:Abes, are you going to use the bandsaw blade sharpener? That would make a brill exhibit that is also practical as you can also use it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jun 23 2013, 19:53

Looking really good Abes, as usual a top quality finish. 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Thu Jun 27 2013, 18:56

Quick update, main engine has now had its 2nd coat of top coat, new orignal exhaust and carb arrived yesterday so now sorted on that front and all the removable parts are now all finished ie cleaned and painted, just the mag to sort its had the condensor changed and points cleaned but still no spark at this time, have now started thinking about the trolley design, will do some pics later.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu Jun 27 2013, 20:37

Looks like you will need another coil then Sad Does it check out OK on a meter? 3.5 to 5k ohms? Check also all the leads and the stop buttons, making sure there is no oil present to short things out and insulator washers are in correct order.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28 2013, 13:57

That's a serious looking bit of kit, I take it's heavy coz it looks it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Fri Jun 28 2013, 19:17

Not really mate about 20-25 kgs i would think

stationary stu wrote:That's a serious looking bit of kit, I take it's heavy coz it looks it.

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lister dan Fri Jun 28 2013, 19:22

Hello, abes,
What mag does the engine have I may have a spare if need.
Cheers Dan

lister dan
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Fri Jun 28 2013, 20:47

Wico impulse mate

lister dan wrote:Hello, abes,
What mag does the engine have I may have a spare if need.
Cheers Dan

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Jun 29 2013, 19:14

Well after some playing today this is what she now looks like still need to refix the tank, flywheel and mag but these wont be done untill she's back on a new trolley plus need to get the decals, pics below

A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6300010
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6300011
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6300012
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6300013
A couple of new toys to play with - Page 2 P6300014

Last edited by Abes on Sun Jun 30 2013, 14:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed for some better pics)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next